Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Elizabeth May's election focus: winning own riding Reply with quote

( how does this affect the national campaign ? if she doesn't travel around much and almost disappears to Saanich Gul Islands ? we may barely see her this election )

Elizabeth May's election focus: winning own riding

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May appears on CTV's Power Play on Thursday, March 24, 2011.

View Larger Image
CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Thu. Mar. 24 2011 6:28 PM ET

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May says her main focus during this spring's expected election will be winning her own riding, not leading a national campaign.

"The Green Party nationally has decided this is a priority for all of us. I am not going to be required to be crisscrossing the country as much as I did in the 2008 election," she told CTV's Power Play Thursday.

"So, I can stay home, keep knocking on doors."

May is running against veteran Conservative MP Gary Lunn in the Saanich-Gulf Islands riding in British Columbia.

"I'll be running the campaign to make sure when it's over I'm the elected member," she said, adding it would be a "tight two-way race."

But May said she will be making some forays into national campaigning and she hopes to be invited to the televised leader's debate.

She also promises to ‘do a lot with smart, strategic technology' such as a Green Party app and reaching out over social networking.

May said the Green Party plans to run a candidate in all 308 ridings and will be running television ads.

"Canadians will be grateful for a political party that reaches out to them without making them feel like they want to change the channel," she said.

May also said that the environment file is still on the minds of Canadians, despite the recent economic woes, and that other parties "need to wake up" to that.

She also criticized the recent budget.

"There's something fundamentally skewed about the Harper government's understanding of environmental issues," she said.

May has run for federal office twice before. She lost a byelection in London, Ont., in 2006 and was defeated by Conservative Peter MacKay in his long-held Pictou County, Nova Scotia riding.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopS.....ay-110324/
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saanich-Gulf Islands is a riding the Conservatives win because of a split vote on the Left, when the NDP had their issues in the last election support spilled to the Liberals and it became a close riding.

However with May running, she just further splits the left.

Jump to: