Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Blue Jays: Albatross-free. Finally. Reply with quote

I see that the Blue Jays have finally succeeded in offloading the massive back-loaded contract of Vernon Wells to the Anaheim Angels. (link)

The budgetary flexibility this gives the Jays is just amazing -- for example, their team salary not including arbitration is about $50 million for 2011, which is approximately the amount the Yankees are going to pay to two of their players -- A-Rod and CC -- next year.

The Jays' 2011 salary structure resembles that of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Hopefully, the Jays can now play and compete like the Rays.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be interesting to see what the starting line-up looks like once AA is done.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like AA's move but if any one is paying attention to predictions the Blue Jays are slated for another 4th place finish this year. Lets not forget that it seems no big names want to sign in Canada. And sadly Canadian baseball players are included as those not wanting to sign.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bautista is not a big name? What an arm, above avergae fielder with the best throwing arm in baseball. He'll do well on third or outfield. Oh and I forgot about his hitting.

You don't think the Yankees would take him at the drop of a...

Frankly, I think the Jays are gaining. I like their new GM and Rogers has expanded the budget; and players will sign with the Jays. Whereas the Leafs and Raptors... nevermind. They gave up the drafts for a streaky sniper.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James wrote:
Bautista is not a big name? What an arm, above avergae fielder with the best throwing arm in baseball. He'll do well on third or outfield. Oh and I forgot about his hitting.

You don't think the Yankees would take him at the drop of a...

Frankly, I think the Jays are gaining. I like their new GM and Rogers has expanded the budget; and players will sign with the Jays. Whereas the Leafs and Raptors... nevermind. They gave up the drafts for a streaky sniper.

I like Jose;
The contract is long, but even if he is a 30/90 guy for the first few years of it rather then the 50/124 guy we saw last year its a good deal.

Lets not poo poo on the Raps too much;
They are finally rebuilding!
cbasu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring training season has not started off well. The Jays have lost their first three games, only managing to score in the third against minor league pitching. I know it's early, but I hope that this vaunted "small ball" philosophy that AA and Farrell keep talking about doesn't turn the Jays into those Ricciardi-era zombies when they couldn't buy a hit especially with men on base.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it pains me to say this;
I see this season as more an evaluation of what we have, rather then any sort of winning centric result.

How good is our young rotation, how good are the young bats, where are our holes.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what I see and hear, so far. Forget about Spring Training. The new manager is testing many, and rightly so. frankly, I worry when a team wins too many gamres in pre-season that might carry on to the first ten to twenty season games only to falter.

From what I hear from the sport boradcasters the Jays have a decent pitching rotation, relief and upcoming talent. The problem is a closer.

Like hockey these days I listen to baseball on the raido, most of the times, so I can read and write, and should a team lose I haven't wasted my time.

I think the Blue Jays will be quite exciting this year. Even better next season.

Last edited by Edmund Onward James on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
cbasu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
While it pains me to say this;
I see this season as more an evaluation of what we have, rather then any sort of winning centric result.
How good is our young rotation, how good are the young bats, where are our holes.

I don't think the GM, Alex Anthopoulos, will survive another "evaluation" season. That was last year. They must improve on last year's 85 wins, at a minimum, because other than Marcum, they have not really lost a critical player (that's right: I'm including Vernon Wells in there). This means they must be competitive on Labour Day, and be within a few games of the wildcard at the All Star break.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the light of hindsight I think I am ready to eat crow on my concern over Joey Bats contract.

What is interesting however is that the subject topic of Wells has become as the season went on,

Napoli and Rivera were two bad contracts the Jay's needed to take back are now gone, and within less then a Year AA was basically able to make that entire contract vanish.

Jump to: