Joined: 18 Feb 2007
Posts: 391 votes: 1
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:31 am Post subject: Toronto Star Reporting on the Strippers and Job Banks
The CPC has lodged a complaint with the Parliamentary Press Gallery and the Public Editor of the Toronto Star for publishing a story without checking the credibility of it first. If you read the Star's reporting and other papers you'll see the difference.
Toronto Star story completely false
A story in today's Toronto Star, under the byline ‘Richard J. Brennan’ states our government is changing the policy on what careers will be posted on the federal government’s Job Bank website. The story makes the completely false claim that “the Conservative government wants to help unemployed Canadians find careers as strippers and for-hire escorts.”
* This story is completely and utterly false. In fact, the “draft note” cited by the reporter has not been seen by Minister Finley’s office, nor would it ever have been a policy under consideration by our government.
* Even more shocking, despite citing several reactions from opposition and stakeholders in the erroneous story, the reporter did not even call Minister Finley’s office for a response.
* If he had, he would have learned that there is absolutely no basis in fact to claim this is government policy.
* It is the height of irresponsible journalism to accuse the government of changing a policy without contacting the government itself for confirmation or comment.
* It is sad that Canadians are subjected to such a lack of journalistic integrity, and that a major Canadian newspaper would give a story such prominence without first verifying the facts.
* Because of this blatant lack of journalistic standards, Minister Finley’s office will be registering a formal complaint with the Ontario Press Council, the Parliamentary Press Gallery and the Public Editor of the Toronto Star.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You can attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum
Toronto Star Reporting on the Strippers and Job Banks