Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chilipepper

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to it, hope it's included in the News package I have now that includes Fox News and CNN... Problem is, will people be willing to pay for it ?
Luke Nicholson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will depend on your cable carrier. If the cable company agrees to carry it in their basic cable package, then you won't pay extra for it. If they decide to stick it with other specialty channels like CNN and Fox News, then if you don't already have that package, you'll have to pay for it.

Personally, because its a Canadian channel and because we already have two other similar channels that are part of everybody's basic cable package, I think Sun Media will have a decent argument to make to the cable companies that it should be put in the same basic tier as CBC Newsnet and CTV News Channel.
mazepynka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaw satellite service at my place has at least a half dozen CBC feeds and a couple of CTV but no CNN or FOX. Like a lot of light viewers, I'll watch what's available by default (which often means clicking off in disgust after 2 minutes) - but I'm going to buy Sun TV.

I'm gonna bet that SUN TV has a tough time breaking into the Canadian broadcast oligopoly though. The CBC really needs to be swiftly and completely defunded. They are behaving exactly like a regular private broadcaster when it comes to advertising, but they get billions in subsidies which crowds out competitors and keeps their coverage way out in left field.
Luke Nicholson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazepynka wrote:
The Shaw satellite service at my place has at least a half dozen CBC feeds and a couple of CTV but no CNN or FOX. Like a lot of light viewers, I'll watch what's available by default (which often means clicking off in disgust after 2 minutes) - but I'm going to buy Sun TV.

I'm gonna bet that SUN TV has a tough time breaking into the Canadian broadcast oligopoly though. The CBC really needs to be swiftly and completely defunded. They are behaving exactly like a regular private broadcaster when it comes to advertising, but they get billions in subsidies which crowds out competitors and keeps their coverage way out in left field.

Shaw Direct doesn't offer Fox News or CNN? That doesn't make sense to me. Both those channels are widely carried in Canada now. Do you mean there not part of your basic cable package, or there not offered at all?

I live in the traditional collectivist basket case of Canada called Saskatchewan, where we have more government crowns than anywhere else, and Fox News and CNN are available here.

Sun News is negotiating with the cable carriers, not the CRTC. I don't see how Sun News is a threat to the cable carriers. The big hurdle was getting approval from the CRTC, now its just a matter of proving to the cable carriers they can attract viewers and help them make money. If people want the channel, the cable carriers will carry it. They'd be stupid not too.
mazepynka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shaw Direct doesn't offer Fox News or CNN? That doesn't make sense to me. Both those channels are widely carried in Canada now. Do you mean there not part of your basic cable package, or there not offered at all?

Ya Fox and CNN aren't in whatever package I have now (I'm not the chief cable commissar around here), but the channels show up in the menu so are surely available with subscription. And I totally agree that Sun TV will be available, but probably not in the basic/default package, which means most people won't ever see it. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Sun TV is coming online -- but it's mostly preaching to the choir unless it's as widely available as CBC and CTV. What % of Canadian viewers do you figure will go out of their way to buy a news channel of any kind? I suspect it's low.

I see a natural CRTC/CBC alliance and a BCE/CTV alliance - but who's aligned with Sun TV among the powers that be?
Luke Nicholson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazepynka wrote:
Quote:

Ya Fox and CNN aren't in whatever package I have now (I'm not the chief cable commissar around here), but the channels show up in the menu so are surely available with subscription. And I totally agree that Sun TV will be available, but probably not in the basic/default package, which means most people won't ever see it. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Sun TV is coming online -- but it's mostly preaching to the choir unless it's as widely available as CBC and CTV. What % of Canadian viewers do you figure will go out of their way to buy a news channel of any kind? I suspect it's low.

I see a natural CRTC/CBC alliance and a BCE/CTV alliance - but who's aligned with Sun TV among the powers that be?

Yeah. I don't agree with you. If its not in the basic package, it'll be lumped in the news tier with Fox and CNN. Most people today have cable that extends beyond the basic package. If it ends up in the same tier as Fox News and CNN, most people will see it.

I think most providers will put it in the basic package. There's no reason not too, unless you're BCE and you're hell bent on protecting CTV News Channel.
Luke Nicholson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a brochure from Shaw Direct today, and unbelievably they don't offer Fox News, or someone forgot to put them on the brochure. I guess my thoughts of switching to Shaw from Sasktel Max are now dashed.
bsenka

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Shaw cable, and we don't get Fox news either. If it's part of a "news package", that doesn't make sense considering I get several CNNs and a bunch of other CNBC/MSNBC stations as part of the basic package. The other Fox channels are all over the place too, but I don't see Fox News Channnel.
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun News Network's on-air graphics

Link
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsenka wrote:
I'm with Shaw cable, and we don't get Fox news either. If it's part of a "news package", that doesn't make sense considering I get several CNNs and a bunch of other CNBC/MSNBC stations as part of the basic package. The other Fox channels are all over the place too, but I don't see Fox News Channnel.

I'm with Shaw and was able to get Fox News without getting a package. It costs me $2.
bsenka

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Craig"]
bsenka wrote:
I'm with Shaw and was able to get Fox News without getting a package. It costs me $2.

It's amazing how different Shaw's lineups are in different markets. Do you get TBS too? We used to, but cannot get it anymore.
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://twitter.com/brianlilley.....4045318144

Quote:
My show launches April 18th on @SunNewsNetwork here's a photo of the (under construction) studio in Ottawa. http://twitpic.com/47kt7y

http://twitpic.com/47kt7y

SunNews on Twitter...

http://twitter.com/sunnewsnetwork

April 18, Let's go!!!!

I am in Ontario and deal with Rogers, still cannot get a answer if Rogers is carrying SunNews.
mazepynka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sun News should partner with Netflix. They must be considering this.

1. Canadians are spending more time online than watching TV now
2. TV/Internet convergence is finally happening and Netflix is the 400 pound gorilla
3. Sun News becomes accessible to everyone with Internet
4. The cable regulatory/carrier oligopoly gets taken to the woodshed

And remember that fight a few months back about caps on bandwidth? I wonder if the same vociferous opponents of usage-based billing will change their tune if Netflix becomes the main carrier for Sun News?
mr12387

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a breath of fresh air!

Just watched a segment on healthcare with retiring MP (LIBERAL might I add) Dr. Keith Martin talking about the sham of this binary Public (Canada) vs. Private (US) healthcare system debate in Canada and how if you look at the best healthcare systems in the world (which pay a similar amount or less per capita on healthcare as Canadians do)17 of the top 20 are in Western Europe and they all have two tier (public & private) systems!

Viva pragmatic thinking!

Other people I'd like to see on this network in some capacity even if only periodically (both Conservative and otherwise)

Monte Solberg
L. Ian McDonald
Chantal Hebert
Michael Fortier
Kevin O'Leary (Amanda Lang too if Kevin feels he needs his sparring partner)
There was also a duo who filled in for Kevin and Amanda once that I enjoyed, no idea what their names are.

And on a side note, boy do I miss Mike Duffy on the air!
Luke Nicholson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazepynka wrote:
I think Sun News should partner with Netflix. They must be considering this.

1. Canadians are spending more time online than watching TV now
2. TV/Internet convergence is finally happening and Netflix is the 400 pound gorilla
3. Sun News becomes accessible to everyone with Internet
4. The cable regulatory/carrier oligopoly gets taken to the woodshed

And remember that fight a few months back about caps on bandwidth? I wonder if the same vociferous opponents of usage-based billing will change their tune if Netflix becomes the main carrier for Sun News?

Sun News already has a "watch live" link on their website. So, I think live streaming on the internet is already in the cards. I don't know when it will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: