Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: CBC waging ‘faith war,’ Conservatives say Reply with quote

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:40 PM

CBC waging ‘faith war,’ Conservatives say
Jane Taber

The CBC is fuelling a “faith war” and using its taxpayer-funded position to “foment religious division,” the Prime Minister’s strategists in their latest attack on the public broadcaster.

In a memo to supporters, the backroom operatives note that this is just the next step in the CBC’s “ongoing campaign against the Conservative Party.” At issue is a story about the rise of the right-wing religious groups and their connections to the Stephen Harper’s government that ran on The National last night.

The piece – which, as Tories armed with stopwatches note, ran “a full eight minutes in length” – was inspired by the release of a new book, The Armageddon Factor by journalist Marci McDonald, in which she investigates the right-wing religious movement in Canada and its ties to Stephen Harper and his government.

“Last night’s dominant CBC story … featured an attack on the religious affiliation of some government members and supporters,” the Tory missive says. “Apparently, the CBC thinks it newsworthy that some Conservative Ministers and MPs practice their faith. Even more scandalous, some members of the Prime Minister’s Office go to church!”

The CBC piece, which aired about 25 minutes into the nightly broadcast, referred to Treasury Board President Stockwell Day as a “devout Christian” who is “seen as the leader of the religious right” on Parliament Hill. It also singled out a couple of other Tory MPs.

The Conservative strategists are alleging that this faith-based attack follows the strategy laid out by EKOS pollster Frank Graves, who had suggested in a Globe and Mail column that the Liberals mount a “culture war” against the Harper government. The Tories say Mr. Graves is a Liberal partisan and should be identified as such when he conducts polling for the public broadcaster.

“Is it just a coincidence that the CBC news coverage advances the strategy that pollster Frank Graves gave to the Liberal Party?” the Tory memo says. “Seems to us that following the Frank Graves strategy was exactly what the CBC was doing last night. CBC executives have yet to explain why.”

The Globe has asked CBC for comment, but the network has yet to respond.

“Perhaps Canada’s tax-funded broadcaster needs a lesson in freedom of religion,” the Tories say. “Under the Charter of Rights, neither religious affiliation nor lack of religious affiliation is grounds to deny participation in the democratic life of the country.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....bureaublog
chilipepper

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are just taking their cues from their Liberal pollster :D :D
RCO

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armageddon Factor, a book on Christian right, is shrill nonsense

By Naomi Lakritz, Calgary Herald May 14, 2010 Comments (189)
•Story•Photos ( 1 )
In Marci McDonald's book, The Armageddon Factor, the author claims the Harper government has been quietly furthering a Christian agenda.Photograph by: Chris Wattie, Reuters, National PostAmid all the hysteria about the Christian right, in which Marci McDonald's new book, The Armageddon Factor, is awash, one salient point remains. It is quite possible that the federal Tories hold positions on issues, not because their hearts are aglow with religious fervour, but because those positions are sound ones based on sober, principled thought.

I dislike cookie-cutter, left-wing ideology as much as I dislike its cookie-cutter, right-wing counterpart. That's why I'm so disappointed with McDonald's book. While she has obviously put a great deal of research into it, her leaps of logic often are ludicrous. They also reveal her own biases -- the well-worn ones with which leftists unthinkingly fall into lockstep.

Particularly odious to me as a Jew is McDonald's take on Prime Minister Stephen Harper's pro-Israel stance, not to mention what appears to be her ignorance of the events surrounding Jesus' Crucifixion (she notes that in a musical called The Covenant, performed at the Toronto Centre for the Arts, "it is not the rabbis who persecute (Jesus) as they do in Mel Gibson's controversial recapitulation of the passion play; here, Roman soldiers are the villains.") Well, duh, Marci, the Romans were indeed the villains; that's just historical accuracy.

Reading McDonald's shrill book, you'd never suspect the reason Harper is pro-Israel is that he recognizes it is the only western-style democracy in the Middle East, or that he's aware that the Palestinian people's problems are caused by their corrupt leaders who, instead of spending money on health, education and infrastructure, spend it on weapons to pursue their maniacal goal of killing every Jew in Israel.

No, rather it's that our blue-sweatered policy wonk of a prime minister is a born-again Christian. He's guilty of crafting a "theocon strategy to include the Jewish community," and he's infected by an entourage of "Christian nationalists." The reason these people support Israel is that they believe in the need to convert the Jews to save their souls from hellfire, and enable the Messiah to return to Israel. There is no denying such an element exists. I have run into it myself. And to those people I say: We don't impose our faith on you, so please don't impose your faith on us. It irks us no end to be proselytized. Please support Israel for the right reason, which is that it is a democracy under attack from genocidal terrorists.

McDonald also has the usual far-left problem with amnesia when it comes to all things to do with Israel. She notes that "no sooner had (Harper) marked Israel's 60th anniversary with a pledge of Canada's 'unshakable' support than his government lived up to that vow, showily banning Britain's grandstanding MP George Galloway, a Hamas booster." The Tories did not "showily" ban Galloway. A Federal Court judge cited a law that says no one is allowed into Canada who has given material aid to terrorists; Immigration Minister Jason Kenney refused to exempt Galloway, who gave vehicles and several thousand dollars to Hamas.

McDonald also talks about "Israel's 2006 invasion of Lebanon -- a bombing campaign that won international condemnation for killing dozens of civilians." Another case of leftist amnesia. Israel attacked Lebanon after Hezbollah had killed eight Israeli soldiers on the border with Lebanon, and then had fired Katyusha rockets into Israeli border towns. Those dozens of civilians died because Hezbollah was using them as human shields.

So it's no surprise a sentence later to read that "Israel launched a three-week military campaign against Hamas militants in the blockaded Gaza Strip." Note the failure to mention this was an act of self-defence after thousands of rockets had been fired into Israel, killing civilians in Sderot; note also the use of the gentler word "militants" rather than the correct "terrorists."

And so it goes throughout McDonald's book.

Anything and everything can be traced to Harper's born-again connections. Judging by McDonald's focus on a commercial created by the Canada Family Action Coalition protesting $80,000 of public money given to the makers of the film Young People F---ing, you'd think the outrage among the Tory caucus was a knee-jerk response to appease the ubiquitous fundamentalists.

Ordinary Canadians, regardless of faith, were equally outraged that their tax dollars had been frittered away on such garbage; and clearly, the government's response showed it was listening to public sentiment, not that its strings were being pulled by a small group of evangelicals.

Ditto the feds' plan to change the age of sexual consent from 14 to 16. McDonald quotes someone from the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada lauding this move. It's as though she's suggesting it came about because of their lobbying. Actually, the consent age was changed because of concerns about loopholes in the law that pedophiles could take advantage of. Those concerns were echoed in a report prepared by a Bangkok advocacy group for children which warned that Canada's lower sexual consent age could make it an appealing place for child-sex tourism.

Armageddon? Ottawa? I don't think so.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/l.....z0o0qXwTwt
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This faith war should help out with the CBC's bias report. :roll:
chilipepper

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is it shrill nonsense but bigoted stereotyping.
Forward

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naomi Lakritz said:
Quote:
They also reveal her own biases -- the well-worn ones .....

To have this repugnantly obese, former National Enquirer loudmouth bitching about someone ELSE'S bias is notably absurd.

Typical journalist --- "I'M THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED TO HAVE BIASES! BUT IF YOU ACCUSE ME OF HAVING THEM, I'LL DENY IT."

Go back to the U.S. and write some more movie star marriage stories ok, lard-butt?
Pissedoff

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there was me thinking Catholics were Christians.Always knew the so called Liberal Catholics were just anything but.
Pissedoff

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't hold my breath waiting for Harper to defund these idiots.
IsleofBarra

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The public broadcaster refuses to listen to the majority of Canadians when we demand fairness in coverage.

I wonder if a 50% cut in funding (to start) would get their attention. Yelling at the CBC just doesn't work. CBC figures if they wait long enough the controversy over their indirect funding of the lieberals will go away.

Not this time. The token hiring of Kory was a crass, cynical ploy that is too little too late.
Fire Frank G. immediately; now; right away.

Do you think taxpayers would rather see their dollars wasted on the CBC bunker in Toronto or spent on healthcare....

Let's do a poll.

"Should savings from the budget of the CBC be used for tax cuts or healthcare?"
Alan A.

votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself in a very conflicting position on this story. On one hand, I hate the CBC to no end because they screw me with my own money, with a smug attitude. But on the other hand, if it's what it takes to help keep religion out of politics (because it's plain toxic), I say go for it.
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan A. wrote:
I find myself in a very conflicting position on this story. On one hand, I hate the CBC to no end because they screw me with my own money, with a smug attitude. But on the other hand, if it's what it takes to help keep religion out of politics (because it's plain toxic), I say go for it.

Do you have anything to contribute to this board aside from hate-filled anti-Christian/anti-religion bigotry, Alan A?

That seems to be the only thing you ever post on lately.

What I find toxic is the attitude of secularists that thinks that only their worldviews, or their belief systems, should be the ones given any consideration whatsoever in government.

Why should that be, when a substantial number of Canadians (possibly a majority even) are religious people?
Alan A.

votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:
Alan A. wrote:

Do you have anything to contribute to this board aside from hate-filled anti-Christian/anti-religion bigotry, Alan A?

That seems to be the only thing you ever post on lately.

What I find toxic is the attitude of secularists that thinks that only their worldviews, or their belief systems, should be the ones given any consideration whatsoever in government.

Why should that be, when a substantial number of Canadians (possibly a majority even) are religious people?

Do you blow a fuse like this when it comes to "hate-filled anti" Muslim religion bigotry, Habsrwfan? The skin of the religious fundamentalists, whatever the religion, is very thin isn't it (muslim cartoons, christian anti abortion stance, the very emotional reaction looks the same to me; only the means differs because of the cultural difference but you sound like a christian jihadist to me).

As for my last few posts: be my guest, just ignore me. I should survive it. And please pipe down.
chilipepper

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that religion should be kept out of politics but we have to be careful that we don't deny all people no matter what they believe, a democratic voice - and that is what I have a big problem with. These Marci McDonald types seem to think that no one other than left wing ideologues should have any say at all, there has to be a middle ground.
Alex in Edmonton

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilipepper wrote:
I agree that religion should be kept out of politics but we have to be careful that we don't deny all people no matter what they believe, a democratic voice - and that is what I have a big problem with. These Marci McDonald types seem to think that no one other than left wing ideologues should have any say at all, there has to be a middle ground.

I agree and I think your post sums it up well. I too, believe that secularism is important. Our democracy depends on it. However, as Ezra Levant put it on CBC's Power and Politics, discrimination towards Christians is one of the last acceptable bigotries in this country. I am tired of having moderate Christians demonized in Parliament while radical elements of other religions run wild, simply because it is not politically correct to call a spade a spade. The Liberals understand that Christians have a target on their back, and they understand that many of them vote Conservative. This whole "culture war" that Graves recommends has been ongoing since Chretien and the Liberals first went up against the Reform Party, and Ignatieff shows no sign of putting it to an end. Really, the Frank Graves strategy was just proof of what conservatives in Canada have long suspected.

As for Marci McDonald: she is a joke who, were it not for the CBC, would likely have her (factually incorrect) views outright dismissed. Stockwell Day's political career was almost ruined because he had the audacity to be a practicing Christian; Kinsella and the Liberals pounced on it. And here she is saying that Christians have too much influence in the Conservative Party? Please. Bigots like McDonald have made being a practicing Christian a political liability, and there is something truly disturbing about that. Thanks to "progressives" like her, many Canadians are unable to enjoy the most basic of human rights. That is not the Canada that I want to live in, and it is pure villainy that the CBC willingly provides her a vehicle for her backwards views.
chilipepper

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said !! I do think that we need to be more aggressive in combating this type of attack, but how - the party should be more on the offensive I think, but if they do, they will be tarred and feathered.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: