Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: CBC Ekos pollster accused of Liberal bias Reply with quote

( well its about time Mr Greaves true colours were made known to the canadian public , its time they see this liberal partisan for what he really is )

CBC pollster accused of Liberal bias

By DON PEAT, QMI Agency

TORONTO - The president of the Conservative Party has accused a CBC pollster of advising federal Liberals to incite a "culture war" that pits Canadians against Canadians.

Conservative Party of Canada president John Walsh sent a letter Thursday to the CBC's Ombudsman charging that EKOS pollster Frank Graves' comments reported in the Globe and Mail that day raise "serious questions about the impartiality of Canada's publicly funded national broadcaster."

"Why is a pollster who conducts polling for Canada's national broadcaster, the CBC, also giving partisan advice to the Liberal Party of Canada?" Walsh writes in a letter obtained exclusively by QMI Agency.

"Is the CBC aware they were sharing resources with the Liberal Party of Canada, if so, how long have they been aware? Can the CBC assure us that data collected at the expense of taxpayers is not shared with the Liberal Party of Canada?

"Does the CBC share Mr. Graves' call for a "culture war" that pits Canadian against Canadian?"

The Globe and Mail article that set off Walsh's anger quotes Graves spouting advice to the Liberal Party of Canada.

"I told them that they should invoke a culture war. Cosmopolitanism versus parochialism, secularism versus moralism, Obama versus Palin, tolerance versus racism and homophobia, democracy versus autocracy," Graves is quoted in the story. "If the cranky old men in Alberta don't like it, too bad. Go south and vote for Palin."

Graves is president and founder of national polling firm EKOS Research Associates and a frequent media commentator on national issues.

He is also a frequent Liberal Party contributor.

Since 2001, Graves has donated at least $11,042.72 to the Liberals, according to the Elections Canada website, including money toward the leadership campaigns of current party leader Michael Ignatieff and leadership candidate Bob Rae.

He has also given cash to the Tories, contributing $449.04 to Paul Benoit, the Conservative Candidate for Ottawa Vanier in 2006.

Graves could not be reached directly for comment.

However, EKOS executive director Paul Adams was adamant that neither Graves nor EKOS is an "adviser" to the Liberal Party.

"EKOS has never polled for any political party or been retained as a client by any political party," he said in an e-mail Thursday night.

"Mr. Graves did give an interview to Lawrence Martin, the Globe columnist, in which he offered the Liberals hypothetical advice, just as he might to any other political party in the course of an interview.

"To the extent that the Globe article may have implied that Mr. Graves had previously proffered this advice directly to the Liberal Party, it was a mistaken implication."

Adams also denied the Conservative Party suggestion that data was shared between the CBC and the Liberals.

"This is not the case," he said. "The data is closely held by EKOS so that the CBC has earliest, and exclusive release. All the parties get the information when the public does: that is, when the CBC releases it."

CBC spokesman Jeff Keay said the broadcaster will review and respond to the letter.

Keay was adamant the publicly funded network continues to act with impartiality in its news coverage or reporting on polls.

"We're publicly accountable for our journalism with journalistic standards and practices for the impartiality of our reporting," he said.

He added the CBC uses a variety of pollsters and all data is reviewed by the corporation's own research department.

Fred DeLorey, chief spokesman for the Conservative Party office, said it's clear the Liberals are listening to Graves.

"The decision by Mr. Ignatieff to thumb his nose at rural Canada by making his MPs vote against a gun registry bill they support is proof he is following Mr. Graves' advice to a tee," DeLorey said. "Mr. Ignatieff has to realize that, whether he likes it or not and whether he knows it or not, Canada includes places like Red Deer, Saguenay and Thunder Bay."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Po.....6-qmi.html
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unethical pollster Frank Graves must be fired
By Ezra Levant on April 22, 2010 10:36 PM | Permalink | Comments (6)

Frank Graves is the president of a polling company called Ekos Research.

Graves is a partisan Liberal, having personally donated more than $11,000 to that party over the past decade.

But it has paid off handsomely for Graves. When the Liberals were last in power, they steered more than $61 million in government contracts to Ekos -- literally 1,600 contracts.

For every dollar Graves gave the Liberals, they gave $6,000 to his company.

That would probably be enough to make me a Liberal, too.

And by the way, there's nothing wrong with being a Liberal partisan (although, of course, there was something terribly wrong with the way the Liberals handed out their public opinion contracts under the Liberals -- it was positively criminal, in fact.)

But the Liberals aren't in power any more and their bureaucrat who doled out the polling contracts, Chuck Guite, went to jail. I'd bet that Ekos's government contracts have fallen precipitously.

So Graves keeps busy by, amongst other things, being CBC's pollster of record.

I guess the CBC is where left-wingers go for a soft landing when they're down on their luck. I mean, they actually gave a whole show to radical environmental lobbyist David Suzuki.

So we've got another Liberal working at the CBC -- that's hardly news. But today the Globe and Mail's Lawrence Martin carried a stunning interview with Graves, about his continuing role as an advisor to the Liberal Party. Here's an excerpt:

In his advice, Mr. Graves could hardly have been more blunt. “I told them that they should invoke a culture war. Cosmopolitanism versus parochialism, secularism versus moralism, Obama versus Palin, tolerance versus racism and homophobia, democracy versus autocracy. If the cranky old men in Alberta don’t like it, too bad. Go south and vote for Palin.”

Let's take this one step at a time.

The CBC's pollster of record is major Liberal donor. He plots out strategies to beat the Conservatives. And he gives that strategic advice to the Liberals in private -- a fact that we only learn about because he blabbed about it to Martin.

Yet Graves appears on the CBC not as a "Liberal pollster" or "Liberal strategist" or "Liberal donor" or "Liberal", but as the CBC's trustworthy, neutral, reliable, independent analyst, who cares only about enlightening viewers.

What a scandal.

Could you imagine if the CBC were to hire a Tory strategist as their chief Parliamentary correspondent -- while secretly allowing him to continue to work for the Conservatives, and donate thousands upon thousands of dollars to them?

It's too absurd to even ask the question.

I mean, the media positively had a freak-out when it was revealed that a CBC reporter who is dating a Tory MP was given spousal travel benefits.

Graves's case would be like the Tory MP himself working for the CBC -- and not disclosing it.

I say again, it is fine for partisan hacks to be on TV. But it's not fine when their hackery is kept secret from the viewers.

Don't take my word for it -- take a page out of the CBC's own code of ethics.

Here's a paragraph from their rulebook regarding political partisans:

The hiring of persons identified with political parties or pressure groups may only be authorized if the person concerned has resigned his or her functions within the political party or pressure group and has refrained from public activity in the party or group or in a related capacity for at least two years.

This policy is not designed to prevent the participation of public figures invited to comment on current events provided that, on the air, there is no ambiguity regarding their status.

So Frank Graves can continue to be a top Liberal -- a top donor, a top strategist, a top advisor -- as long as he doesn't hide that from viewers. But he does hide it -- his partisan links are not disclosed.

That's unethical.

But you'll notice, dear reader, that I haven't even yet discussed the substance of Graves' advice to his boss.

And by boss, of course, I don't mean the CBC, I mean Michael Ignatieff.

Just what did the CBC's "neutral" pollster tell Ignatieff to do?

He told Ignatieff to pit Canadians against each other.

Region against region, class against class, province against province, race against race, and even sexual orientation against sexual orientation.

He actually called it a "war" amongst Canadians. As in, Ignatieff should try to start one.

It's insane advice: a strategy of attacking national unity, instead of building it.

Treating some Canadians with respect but others with contempt.

Provoking dischord and sowing seeds of dissent, for raw political gain.

My, how the Liberal Party has fallen.

This was once the party that owned the brand of national unity and national pride. It was the party of the flag, the party of section 15 of the Charter -- the equality provision. Now it's the party of dividing Canadians to conquer them.

And the horrific thing is that Michael Ignatieff has clearly been listening to his man in the CBC.

Just look at Ignatieff's two signature issues over the past few months: forcing abortion onto the national agenda; and vowing to enforce the gun registry over the objections of rural Canadians.

He's doing it. Ignatieff is actually implementing the Graves Strategy: divide Canadians against each other, to conquer them politically.

It's the kind of machination that must appeal to a Russian Count.

The CBC must fire Graves: he cannot be their "neutral" pollster of record. He should be invited on every week as a Liberal strategist -- he clearly has great influence in the party. But he cannot continue to pretend to CBC viewers that he is non-partisan. It's not only dishonest, it's against the CBC's rules.

But Ignatieff must fire Graves, too. He must renounce the Graves Strategy of scorched earth. He must publicly distance himself from the idea of a national enemies list, with whole provinces and religions and races on it.

It's one thing for Graves to hold such cynical, corrosive views. At the end of the day, he's just a talking head.

But it's quite something else for the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition to be guided by such a mean-spirited, bitter strategy.

Let Frank Graves continue to make his five-figure Liberal donations. Good for him.

But the CBC must fire him -- their code of ethics demands it.

And Michael Ignatieff must renounce his advice -- his civic responsibility to Canadians requires it.

Update: Kory Teneycke slaughters a sweaty, shifty, no-eye-contact Graves on the CBC. That's a good start. But will the CBC continue to keep this partisan as their "neutral" pollster?

Favourite lines from the video:

Graves said "I'm entitled" to give secret strategic advice to the Liberal Party if he damned well pleases. So far, the CBC brass seem to agree with him, code of ethics be damned.

Teneycke keeps reading Graves' words back to him, and finally the Liberal panics and says "I haven't presented this to Michael Ignatieff or the Liberals". Is he calling Lawrence Martin a liar? Or is he saying that he himself lied when he told Martin that he had presented his strategic advice to the Liberals?

What a professional meltdown.

But again, who cares about Graves? It's the CBC's reputation that is being murdered -- and Michael Ignatieff's judgement that is now under scrutiny.

http://ezralevant.com/2010/04/.....grave.html
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kory Teneycke Vs. Frank graves

Link

This Graves guy is a piece of work..
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not weigh in on whether or not EKOS is slanting polls;
The reality is the time of day and means of gathering your data can bias the polls one way or another.

I will however wonder out loud if its the best use of CBC's money (and by CBC's I mean mine) to commission a poll every week.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
The reality is the time of day and means of gathering your data can bias the polls one way or another.

I will however wonder out loud if its the best use of CBC's money (and by CBC's I mean mine) to commission a poll every week.

another big question here is what is frank greaves motivation , does he just want the liberals to win so his company can get more government poll contracts ? and isn't such a motivation or if liberals were willing to give him what he wanted border on criminal ? if he was also donating money to them in the hopes he got government contracts like he did when chretien was in power ?
to me this is something that needs to be investigated further , especially when considering all the government contracts his company used to get when the liberals were in power and he was donating money to them .
JDot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

No need to argue the numbers EKOS put's out(Men Lie, Women lie, Numbers don't. And all that). The spin on the numbers is the problem... 8)
JDot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now let's look at Big Franks's spin to the Globe and Mail. The Globe and Mail, who seems to have no pollster since some guy named Peter Donolo got a job somewhere else..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....le1544593/

Quote:
Whether or not I am a centre-moderate in my political beliefs – which I am,

WTF is a center moderate?

Quote:
Mr. Graves said he was trying to show there are demonstrable differences between Conservative supporters and supporters of other parties.
“In reflection, it was inappropriate and I should have used more measured terms and I don’t think the Prime Minister’s racist or a homophobe, nor do I think members of his cabinet or his caucus are,” he told The Globe.

Thanks Frankie Baby, the PM is not at racist, but what about the party..

Quote:
“I do believe, and this gets more subtle, that there is a higher incidence of people who are less tolerant to homosexuals and more wary of other races, within the Conservative Party. I can demonstrate that empirically."

Wow..

Quote:
“That does not mean that Conservatives or Albertans are homophobic or xenophobic, but it does mean that many people, and more people statistically that have those points of view, end up in that party than in other places. That may be a statement that people don’t want to hear, but it’s empirically accurate and has been for a long time."

Your Tax dollars at work, Frank Graves clap for him...

Ezra has more..

http://ezralevant.com/2010/04/.....rav-1.html

http://ezralevant.com/2010/04/.....rav-1.html

Frank Graves makes Rahim Jaffer look brilliant.[/quote]
Louise M.

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

another big question here is what is frank greaves motivation , does he just want the liberals to win so his company can get more government poll contracts ? and isn't such a motivation or if liberals were willing to give him what he wanted border on criminal?

He's "lobbying" in advance for future Liberal contracts. :lol:
JDot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise M. wrote:
RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

another big question here is what is frank greaves motivation , does he just want the liberals to win so his company can get more government poll contracts ? and isn't such a motivation or if liberals were willing to give him what he wanted border on criminal?

He's "lobbying" in advance for future Liberal contracts. :lol:

To adress the bolded, we don't know if Frankie Baby is looking for future government contracts. Now past Government contracts that is somthing we can look at...

Quote:
Frank Graves is the president of a polling company called Ekos Research.
Graves is a partisan Liberal, having personally donated more than $11,000 to that party over the past decade.

But it has paid off handsomely for Graves. When the Liberals were last in power, they steered more than $61 million in government contracts to Ekos -- literally 1,600 contracts.

For every dollar Graves gave the Liberals, they gave $6,000 to his company.

:shock:

Louise M.

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JDot, that's very interesting info.
JDot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise M. wrote:
Thanks JDot, that's very interesting info.

No problem.. :wink:
PeterB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the parliamentary committee is done with Jaffer, I wonder if they could summon Frank Graves of EKOS Research, for examination of his conduct and his relationship, with the CBC and the Liberal party, before the RCMP are asked to launch an investigation, on behalf of Canadian taxpayers. I expect the CBC ombudsman, ethics commissioner and the Auditor General should also be summoned to investigate apparent conflict and possible fraud involving taxpayer funds.
In view of recent statements and revelations, once Canadians learn that Graves’ firm is paid by the CBC (funded by the Canadian taxpayer) and that Graves has contributed $11,042.72 to the Liberal Party, and contributed to the leadership campaigns of Ignatieff and Bob Rae and has been the recipient of 61 million dollars of government (taxpayer monies) contracts from the Liberals in return, Canadians will seek and demand some answers.
Canadian taxpayers are much too astute, to be duped by Graves’ clumsy and inept attempt, to claim he also contributed to the Conservatives, when on a cursory examination we find that contribution was a paltry 449 dollars to a Conservative candidate. This calculated deceitful ploy may have allowed him to publicly state that he contributed to both political parties ( hoping details would not be divulged) but it did not stand up as being candid and scrupulous, on close detailed inspection.
Recent reports in the media of his actions, and his own statements in interviews, has opened this can of worms, so appropriate players must now deal with it, since millions of taxpayer’s dollars are involved, and these are not allegations and innuendo but are a matter of fact.
Can we expect that Pat Martin will ask Graves if he received cocaine as payment for services rendered either from the Liberal party or from the CBC?
Braveheart

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Frank's personal poll numbers dropping faster that Obamamama's? Inquiring minds want to know. I wonder if he is doing some polling on it now, or is he just up the poll?
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( he tries to apologise by only ends up maing more stuiped remarks , in here he is quoted as saying the conservative party is a haven for racists and homophobic people , what an idiot we are dealing with here )

Friday, April 23, 2010 12:32 PM

Pollster Frank Graves apologizes,
denies anti-Tory bias
Bill Curry

Pollster Frank Graves, the EKOS pollster who provides weekly data and analysis for the CBC, is apologizing and retracting what he described as his own “incendiary” comments describing a potential strategy for the Liberal Party.

The comments produced a heated exchange on CBC’s Power and Politics (about 44 minutes in) Thursday between Mr. Graves and Conservative commentator Kory Teneycke. Mr. Teneycke, a former director of communications for Prime Minister Stephen Harper who is now paid by the CBC to provide regular commentary, accused Mr. Graves of having a Liberal bias and said his comments suggested Tories are racists and homophobes.

But in an interview today with The Globe and Mail to explain his apology, Mr. Graves went on to say that polling data shows the Conservative Party “does seem to provide a haven” for people with xenophobic or homophobic views.

Mr. Graves’ original comments, which were first quoted by columnist Lawrence Martin in The Globe, suggested he had told the Liberal Party it should invoke a “culture war” to battle the Conservatives. He described this as a battle between “cosmopolitanism versus parochialism, secularism versus moralism, Obama versus Palin, tolerance versus racism and homophobia, democracy versus autocracy. If the cranky old men in Albera don’t like it, too bad. Go south and vote for Palin.”

The president of the Conservative Party, John Walsh, filed a complaint with CBC’s Ombudsman.

“The fact that our national public broadcaster is using a pollster that is also advising the Liberal Party of Canada raises serious questions about the impartiality of Canada’s publicly funded national broadcaster,” he wrote.

Mr. Graves vehemently denies any formal advisory role with the Liberal Party. He said he regularly theorizes about what various parties should do while being interviewed by journalists or in casual discussions with politicians.

“Whether or not I am a centre-moderate in my political beliefs – which I am, which I didn’t think was a matter of great shame in this country – is irrelevant to the question of whether or not I can conduct myself as a sociologist or pollster in a fair and neutral fashion,” Mr. Graves said in an interview.

Mr. Graves said he was trying to show there are demonstrable differences between Conservative supporters and supporters of other parties.

“In reflection, it was inappropriate and I should have used more measured terms and I don’t think the Prime Minister’s racist or a homophobe, nor do I think members of his cabinet or his caucus are,” he told The Globe.

“I do believe, and this gets more subtle, that there is a higher incidence of people who are less tolerant to homosexuals and more wary of other races, within the Conservative Party. I can demonstrate that empirically."

“That does not mean that Conservatives or Albertans are homophobic or xenophobic, but it does mean that many people, and more people statistically that have those points of view, end up in that party than in other places. That may be a statement that people don’t want to hear, but it’s empirically accurate and has been for a long time."

“...Saying those things, which are true, does not mean that Conservatives are either homophobic or xenophobic, but it does mean that the party, for whatever reason, does seem to provide a haven for many people who feel that way – systematically more likely than in other parts of the political spectrum.

“But, I don’t want to get focused on the issues of xenophobia and homophobia. I would rather, in fact, that I hadn’t even included that as part of the debate.”

CBC spokesman, Jeff Keay, told The Globe and Mail that the CBC uses a wide-variety of polling firms, including EKOS.

“We rigorously review the data that we receive with our own internal research people. We take care to present it accurately, fairly and without bias. That hasn’t changed. Won’t change. And in that context, our relationship with EKOS remains unchanged.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....bureaublog
hatrock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about you but most of the polls coming out of CBC have been from Ekos.

And Kory Tenycke did a number on Frank Graves.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: