Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: It is official: NFL is league of dirt bags. Reply with quote

The Roethlisberger thing is the icing on the cake; animal cruelty more serious rape? I am not going to watch this year. It is becoming clear that the rarity is a star who lives a good life. This is not just a few bad apples. The only consolation is, that eventually he will end up in jail. This sort of behavior always lands you there eventually.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, this is not a knee jerk reaction. TV agreements, revenue sharing, it means you have to punish the whole league to get the message across to one team.

Until the NFL implements a league wide code of conduct as a term of employment, I am done with them. They will not get my money, or my eyeballs, and their sponsors will not get my patronage either.

Professional sport is becoming a cesspool of billionaire gangsters.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of these guys are good guys, but you only hear about the bad ones in the news.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
90% of these guys are good guys, but you only hear about the bad ones in the news.
So, the good guys are the ones who continue to employ the bad ones? The good guys are the ones who sign guys straight out of prison? How does that make you a good guy?

I am sure there are lots of good people in the NFL, and involved in the NFL, but they are not speaking up or quitting their jobs or anything.
thurmas

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there has always been a-holes in football its just in todays hyper media age where we know everything about players we think its worse today. Ty cobb was an a-hole but he is still in the hall of fame. Just don't cheer for the players you hate.
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes down to ownership. I would be surprised if the Steelers keep big Ben, they run a pretty good ship over there. the steelers just cut Santonio holmes for breaking the substance policy. But there was the Jets with open arms. The same Jets who paid an extra 500,000 dollars to Antonio Cromartie for child support, who has seven children with 5 girls.

It comes down to ownership IMO. But I have to agree with what you are saying. But there is a team and a player who are gold standers.

Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a very special sort of person to resist the endless seduction that comes with the lives of modern celebrities, sports stars included.

These folks are put on a pedestal early in their careers, and are treated almost like gods amongst men. Male celebrities have numerous women practically throwing themselves at them. It no doubt can lead to a very swelled head over time, and a life of extreme decadence when away from the field.

This is why I wasn't shocked when the Tiger Woods story broke. It's sadly par for course (no pun intended :wink: ) for male celebrities to think that they're God's gift to women, and also practically above the law.

This is why I think that it's a good idea to encourage kids to not look up to sports stars as any sort of role model, aside from how to play a sport or perfect a craft perhaps. They live in a different world than most people do; a world where a happy marriage or relationship with one person isn't the norm for their peers, and hence can be hard to adapt to.

It's doctors and respected community leaders that are the real role models in our age, I think.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thurmas wrote:
there has always been a-holes in football its just in todays hyper media age where we know everything about players we think its worse today. Ty cobb was an a-hole but he is still in the hall of fame. Just don't cheer for the players you hate.
There is a huge difference between being a jerk, and being an outright criminal. Ty Cobb was never accused of rape now was he?

I do not understand what you are guys think you are sticking up for here. Comparing Ty Cobb to Roethlisberger is simply not a valid comparison, it is like comparing a guy who does not water his lawn to punching your wife in the face.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:
It takes a very special sort of person to resist the endless seduction that comes with the lives of modern celebrities, sports stars included.

These folks are put on a pedestal early in their careers, and are treated almost like gods amongst men. Male celebrities have numerous women practically throwing themselves at them. It no doubt can lead to a very swelled head over time, and a life of extreme decadence when away from the field.

This is why I wasn't shocked when the Tiger Woods story broke. It's sadly par for course (no pun intended :wink: ) for male celebrities to think that they're God's gift to women, and also practically above the law.

This is why I think that it's a good idea to encourage kids to not look up to sports stars as any sort of role model, aside from how to play a sport or perfect a craft perhaps. They live in a different world than most people do; a world where a happy marriage or relationship with one person isn't the norm for their peers, and hence can be hard to adapt to.

It's doctors and respected community leaders that are the real role models in our age, I think.
Tiger Woods did not actually break any laws though, adultery does not land you in jail. Even there, there is a difference.

Ben had his body guards drag a drunk girl into the backroom of a bar for him, where he was waiting with his pants down. The body guards barred her friends from entering. This was not consensual; Woods never did anything like that; it is a completely different league of wrong doing.
JDot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ben had his body guards drag a drunk girl into the backroom of a bar for him, where he was waiting with his pants down. The body guards barred her friends from entering. This was not consensual;

This is not the first time for Ben either, this is the second time he has been caught in this type of mess.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/.....id=5113322

Quote:
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says Ben Roethlisberger has violated the NFL's personal conduct policy but would not confirm reports on when he will announce discipline for the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback, he said on the syndicated "Dan Patrick Show" on Monday.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDot wrote:

This is not the first time for Ben either, this is the second time he has been caught in this type of mess.

That is the salient point right there. Once, maybe it is just some gold digger out for a payday. Twice, that is getting to be the less likely explanation. If this happens again, it is a sure bet he is some kind of predator. He better get a substantial suspension, and he better keep his nose clean after that.
JDot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
JDot wrote:

That is the salient point right there. Once, maybe it is just some gold digger out for a payday. Twice, that is getting to be the less likely explanation. If this happens again, it is a sure bet he is some kind of predator. He better get a substantial suspension, and he better keep his nose clean after that.

Frankly 2 times should be enough. Like you say one time ok, but for it to happen again, I am sorry he losses the benefit of doubt. He should get a huge suspension and the steelers should release him. The problem is there will be a NFL owner who will welcome him with open arms.
Forward

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
thurmas wrote:
There is a huge difference between being a jerk, and being an outright criminal. Ty Cobb was never accused of rape now was he?

I do not understand what you are guys think you are sticking up for here. Comparing Ty Cobb to Roethlisberger is simply not a valid comparison, it is like comparing a guy who does not water his lawn to punching your wife in the face.

Why waste your time kwlafayette? It seems that most of the regular posters on this board will excuse basically ANY behavior.
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Habsrwfan wrote:

Tiger Woods did not actually break any laws though, adultery does not land you in jail. Even there, there is a difference.

Ben had his body guards drag a drunk girl into the backroom of a bar for him, where he was waiting with his pants down. The body guards barred her friends from entering. This was not consensual; Woods never did anything like that; it is a completely different league of wrong doing.

I agree that what Ben did is worse, and certainly more criminal, than what Woods did.

I think that the NFL needs to come down hard on Ben, and any of their players who would pretty much rape a girl like this.

Do I think that you're justified for pulling all of your support from the NFL over this?

Well, if the NFL doesn't come down hard on Ben, then yeah, I do.
JDot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for six games on Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, the NFL announced.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback also was ordered to undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation. Commissioner Roger Goodell will evaluate Roethlisberger's progress before the season and might consider reducing the suspension to four games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/.....id=5121614

6 games seems a bit light considering the circumstances, and the Vick one year suspension for dog fights. Should be interesting to see if the Steelers trade big ben.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: