Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Toronto Star trying to make Jaffer/Guergis story worse ? Reply with quote

One newspaper report in the Toronto Star suggested the reduced charges were arranged by senior officials and were the product of a deal, not botched investigative work. Mr. McGuinty said Wednesday that was not the case. "I think the Crown indicated at the time in court before the judge that there was a problem associated with the admissibility of the evidence," he said. "That was that."

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/ne.....z0lAeTuZga

( of course it matters nothing to the writers at the toronto star that there was serious problems with the way they arrested Jaffer and fact they allowed him no access to a lawyer and strip searched him inapproaiately and thats what lead to the charges being dropped , not some crazy federal government secret deal or anything like that some conspiary theorists on the left have suggested . i wonder where the toronto star ever got the information to " make up " some of these stories ? )

anyways its clear the toronto star has been front and centre during the whole jaffer / guergus story and its clear in an effort to make the conservatives look bad they are often ignoring the facts just to create stories which later fall apart , such as jaffer's deal they claimed happened , only to find out later it was in fact the OPP's fault the charges were dropped . and there also being sued by that green company over another story , hopefully when this is all over and done with the toronto star is stuck with a serious lawsuit to deal with .
chilipepper

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the Star, they sure make yellow journalism look bad.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there was a good article in the post about the star's coverage of this story and that they are trying to make it bigger than the munsinger scandal ? maybe too young to remember it anyways it has some good points )

Kelly McParland: The Guergis guide to Canadian politics
Posted: April 15, 2010, 2:15 PM by NP Editor

Kelly McParland, Canadian politics, Helena Guergis

The Toronto Star’s big exposé on Helena Guergis and Rahim Jaffer should be bound in book form and handed out to schools as Canadian Politics 101. Want to know what real-life politics is like? Read the book.

The Star, understandably enough from a newspaper-selling point of view, has been treating the situation like the second coming of Gerda Munsinger, the granddaddy of all Canadian political scandals. Today, to its credit, it provided details that show the story could have been presented in a much different way.

For the first time, we find out that Guergis had been going through a difficult personal period prior to her famous PEI airport blowup. Two miscarriages in under a year; the minister was four months pregnant when she lost the second baby before the ill-fated trip to Charlottetown. “When one’s hormones are badly out of whack, life can be difficult,” notes a sympathetic editorial in a local newspaper.

Her mother had also recently suffered an anaphylactic attack. Guergis called 911 and her mother was rushed to the hospital, where she suffered a heart attack.

Just a bit of pressure, no? If Canadians had known this when the Liberals gleefully circulated the details of Guergis’ airport blow-up, would we have been as quick to condemn? Would the Ottawa media, which long ago lost patience with Guergis’s haughty personality?

And what about Rahim Jaffer, the husband causing her additional grief? A former MP who seemed on the road to great things gets caught drinking and driving, with drugs in the car. When he gets off with a small fine, thanks apparently to a police mix-up, it’s treated like a government scandal, as if Ottawa had any direct influence over a provincial Crown prosecutor.

According to the Star account, Jaffer’s mistake was to dine with a Toronto “businessman” who works out of a strip club and, according to The Star, brags about luring clients into compromising situations, snapping cellphone pictures, and then using that to pressure them. And sure enough, when Jaffer attends a dinner at an expensive Toronto steakhouse, it turns out there are “busty hookers” (a term the Star has come to love) present. Smile for the cellphone, please.

The Star interviews a private investigator, who says he elicited undercover information from the “businessman,” who bragged about his methods and his influence. He boasts to the investigator about having access to the Prime Minister’s office. He boasts about setting up offshore accounts for the Jaffers. According to the newspaper, “while some of the things he boasts about are true, often his boasts are groundless.”

So, to recap, a man who can’t be trusted and who allegedly brags of his skill at blackmail, makes claims that can’t be backed up involving a high-profile political couple. The male half, Jaffer, is dumb enough to be driving around with drugs in his car. The female half, Guergis, who has just suffered two miscarriages and rushed her mother to hospital, shows the pressure when she cracks in public. She gets no sympathy, as the press doesn’t like her and seizes the opportunity to put the boot in. Her caucus colleagues run for cover. The Prime Minister sticks by her until apprised of the claims of the private investigator, who passes on the unsubstantiated claims of the unreliable businessman, at which point he kicks her out of caucus and calls in the RCMP, providing himself with political cover.

Meanwhile, her mortgage is being questioned for no other reason than that she seems to have gotten a good deal; and $742 in questionable campaign expenses are held up as further evidence of her craven personality. Her sister says she’s the one who submitted the expenses.

I’ve never met Guergis. All in all she sounds hard to take. It’s easy to imagine even worse revelations are yet to come. But so far the crimes she’s committed are: marrying a husband with appallingly bad judgment, letting him use her office, having an annoying personality and breaking down in public under the pressure of two miscarriages and her mother’s health scare. For that she’s been ousted from her job and party, and crucified in the press.

I wonder why more people don’t choose a career in politics.

http://network.nationalpost.co.....ffers.aspx
chilipepper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading another article today from the Star I have to wonder if only conservatives are concerned about the obvious vendetta and witch hunt they are carrying on. Even for the Star this seems to be over the top.

It doesn't matter if Guergis is cleared, her career and reputation has been ruined, also if she is cleared, I would expect an apology from the Star. That'll never happen, but I wonder what the more responsible journalists/papers are thinking about the Star's reporting these days.
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star is obviously putting their journalistic reputation on the line by going after Guergis, they must be confident that she is guilty. If she is cleared, obviously the Star will look very bad. I really do hope Guergis is cleared and that all these rumors are lies. If all this is true, I will definitely be very disappointed. Call me old fashioned, but I believe conservatives ought to have some integrity in their personal lives.
chilipepper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that too, if she is cleared then the Star will have lost any integrity it ever had. Let's hope that this doesn't take forever to investigate, her life is on the line here, really.

Jump to: