Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: John Williamson to seek conservative nomination in NB SW Reply with quote

Top adviser to PM wants to replace Thompson
Published Wednesday March 31st, 2010
A1Chris Morris
Telegraph-Journal

John Williamson, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's top communications adviser, will seek the Conservative nomination in the federal riding of New Brunswick Southwest, the Telegraph-Journal has learned.

Enlarge Photo The Canadian PressJohn Williamson Williamson said Tuesday he has decided to pursue a "once-in-a-lifetime opportunity" to move to the front lines of national office as a representative for his home province - New Brunswick.

The sprawling New Brunswick Southwest riding currently is represented by veteran MP and former senior cabinet minister Greg Thompson, who is not reoffering in the next federal election

"I want to ensure that the riding has strong representation in Ottawa," Williamson said in an interview.

"I know how the federal government operates and I think I can get things done here. I think I could give the citizens of New Brunswick Southwest the strong voice it deserves in our nation's capital. Greg Thompson has big shoes to fill, but I do think my experience would lend itself to this challenge."

Williamson said he will leave his post in Ottawa and return to St. Andrews, where his family has had a home for years, in the coming weeks.

"Throughout my life - whether in school in Montreal, working in Toronto, living overseas or working in Ottawa - St. Andrews and the Passamaquoddy Bay area have been a focal point for me," he said.

"It is the only place in this country that I think of as home."

Williamson is the first Conservative to declare his intention to seek the nomination in the riding, although it is expected several more candidates will come forward in the coming months.

It's not clear when the nominating convention will be held, but it could be as late as next spring.

New Brunswick Southwest Liberals picked Kelly Wilson from Beaver Harbour as their candidate last year.

At the time, Wilson, executive director of the John Howard Society of Charlotte County, thought she would be facing Thompson, an MP for 17 years and a formidable force in the traditionally Conservative riding.

Thompson announced his decision to retire from public life in January.

Williamson, 39, a Fredericton High School graduate and a staunch critic of government waste and deficit spending, moved into the prime minister's office as communications director late last summer.

He is a fiscal conservative who helped lure Harper back into politics in 2001. He is a trusted adviser and a close friend of the prime minister.

Conservative strategist Tim Powers said when Williamson moved into the communications post that his long friendship with Harper would prove important.

"They have a healthy, productive relationship that has transcended time," Powers said.

Williamson also has years of experience with, and in, the news media.

He was a founding member of the editorial board of the National Post and has been a newspaper columnist.

He also spent several years as the national director and chief spokesman of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, a non-partisan lobby group whose views were often closely aligned with the Conservatives.

"I have a proven record as a tax fighter," he said.

Williamson also is a former member of the Save the Passamaquoddy Bay group which is dedicated to preventing LNG tankers from using Head Harbour Passage to reach proposed natural gas terminals on the Maine side of the bay.

http://telegraphjournal.canada.....le/1002055
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williamson takes nomination in first ballot
Published Monday October 25th, 2010
Race | Former adviser to PM to run in New Brunswick Southwest
A5BY CANADAEAST NEWS SERVICE

Stumble Upondel.icio.usDiggFacebookPrintEmail1 Comment(s)ST. GEORGE - John Williamson of St. Andrews will run for the Conservatives in New Brunswick Southwest in the next federal election.

In voting Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the former communications adviser to Prime Minister Stephen Harper won over Lloyd Wilson of Crocker Hill, John Quartermain of St. Stephen and Scott Sparks of New Maryland.

It was a decisive, first-ballot win for Williamson, who took 58.9 per cent of the vote. The final tally was Williamson, 700 votes, Wilson, 258 votes, Sparks, 122 votes, and Quartermain 108 votes.

Williamson, 40, was the first candidate to declare in the race to succeed long-time MP and former federal cabinet minister Greg Thompson.

Thompson announced his decision to retire from public life in January. He is still the MP and will remain so until the next federal election, expected to be held sometime within the next 12 months.

"I want to ensure that the riding has strong representation in Ottawa," Williamson recently told the Telegraph-Journal.

"I know how the federal government operates, and I think I can get things done here. I think I could give the citizens of New Brunswick Southwest the strong voice it deserves in our nation's capital. Greg Thompson has big shoes to fill, but I do think my experience would lend itself to this challenge."

The sprawling riding is scattered over 10,000 square kilometres. It stretches from Dumfries in York, and Coles Island in Queens, to St. Stephen, St. Andrews and the Fundy Islands in Charlotte County.

It's believed Williamson had Harper's blessing in his decision to seek the party's nomination in the riding.

In addition to serving as senior adviser to Harper, Williamson is the former national director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

"I have a proven record as a tax fighter," he said.

Williamson, a Fredericton High School graduate, is a critic of government waste and deficit spending. He moved into the prime minister's office as communications director late last summer.

He is a fiscal conservative who helped lure Harper back into politics in 2001.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.....le/1277174

Jump to: