Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Ice news. Reply with quote

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2009/033009.html
Quote:
This year’s maximum was the fifth lowest in the satellite record.

So, given that a few years ago was the lowest on record (the satellite record only extending back 30 years), I guess this means ice extent is growing. Not that anyone will tell you that.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't want to tell us that, because they have an agenda to fulfill!
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the thing about climate, is that it has always been, and will always be variable. For example, on Jan 5, in Saskatoon at the corner of 22nd and 1st ave, it is not always going to be -32.3 with a nw wind at exactly 12.5 km/h. Sometime it will be sunny, sometimes windy, sometimes snowing, sometimes warmer or colder. Once you have that, you realize that there are going to be highs and lows to any given statistic; the amount of annual precipitation, number of sunny days in June.

Once you accept that there is variability, then you have to also realize that the annual ice extent will ebb and flow. Some years there will be a lot of ice, and other years not so much. It is pretty clear that right now, we are in a period of growing ice extent, as it has been getting bigger for 5 straight years. I do not know how long that will last, but I do know that no one will be able to accurately predict the cycle; there are just too many variable.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if someone actually could make some accurate predictions, then I would start believing that person if they started saying things like "atmospheric CO2 at X ppm causes Y warming". But when people are off by several degrees, and consistently get it wrong, I have to suspect that the theory they are working from is not correct.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Also, if someone actually could make some accurate predictions, then I would start believing that person if they started saying things like "atmospheric CO2 at X ppm causes Y warming". But when people are off by several degrees, and consistently get it wrong, I have to suspect that the theory they are working from is not correct.

As I recall, most models of CO2 forcing that they use assume a constant, direct relationship between ppm and temp (which among other things, requires an infinitely thick atmosphere). Over at WUWT, they're suggesting that the relationship is logarithmic, and that we've already hit the point of vastly diminishing returns.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.smalldeadanimals.co.....13678.html

Another update. Arctic sea ice is definitely recovering from the abnormal* low of a few years ago.

*Abnormal only if you go by the 1970 to present satellite record. Outside of this minuscule date range the variations are impressive, going from zero Arctic ice, to snowball Earth.

http://www.snowballearth.org/overview.html

Jump to: