Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: The Olympic Hockey Thread Reply with quote

Who's got it? Who doesn't it? Who's going to choke? Who do you think will win, national pride aside?

My choice: I have a bad feeling the Russians are going to take it this year in a thrilling 6-5 win over Canada in the Gold Medal Game. The United States beats a surprising Slovakian team in the Bronze Medal Game while Sweden chokes in the quarters.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta like those plucky Latvians!
Dallas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should watch the Russia-Latvia game to get an idea of what we are up against.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, the favorites look like the favorites. When do the high seeded teams start playing one another?
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada vs. USA Feb 21!!!
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering who Finland knocks off this year? They are a medal machine, having been on the podium for 3 of the last 4 Olympics. I am thinking, they take down a careless Russia for Silver this year.

PS. By that I mean, Finland beats Russia to send Russia to the Bronze game against the US or Sweden, and Finland loses to Canada in the gold game.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
Canada vs. USA Feb 21!!!

If Canada knocks off the Swiss by a wide margin & if the US wins by a few goals against Norway then this game will be a competitive game but not one showing two rivals. In other words the US will be in trouble.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprises from us in our first Men's game. The Latvians put in a solid showing against the Russian powerhouse - I'm amazed at the caliber of their team considering the economics and demographics at work in Latvia.
Dallas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they need to take Brodeur out now and put Luango back in (swiss game).
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won in a shootout but it should not have gotten that far. If Canada can not put it together then we are in trouble & will be lucky to get to the semi finals. Overall a disappointing performance.
Dallas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this did is make Russia look even better, we need to work better as a team. Tomorrow its passing practice and team work building activities.
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is looking more and more like who ever has the best goalie wins. Ovie kept of the score sheet and 1 for 3 in the shootout. Russia only scoring 1 goal. Canada only scoring 2.

Never a big fan of the San Jose players. Stanley Cup chokers all of them. Should have had Stamkos, Doan, and Smyth instead. At least Doan and Smyth will actually stand on top of the crease.

That being said, I still like Canada's chances to get the top seed in their group.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of concern for Canada then......

Slovakia upsets Russia 2-1 in a shootout

If I'm correct Switzerland can still make the quarters but have to go through a second round qualifier. If they are to upset any team I hope it's either Russia or Sweden. I never expected the score to be 6-1, 8-0 but it should have been 4-0. As for Slovakia this is no major upset in my opinion, an upset yes but a moderate one since I think Slovakia has been on the verge of powerhouse status for a long time. Anyways I don't see the Americans beating us by a lot, if they do of course but there is a bit of a concern here. Anyways go Canada go. BTW notice there's no "Eh Oh Go Canada Go." Betcha Pepsi is not happy.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas wrote:
Both goalies have too heavy a workload in the NHL regular season, so I say let Brodeur play a game. It is just too bad he did not get a really easy one like Luongo did. I think that Luongo is the best goalie in the world right now, I would play him against anybody; but he does need to be fresh and well rested to play his best. So let the other goaltenders share some of the load.

Brodeur will likely start against the US, but I expect he will have a fairly short leash. He will finish the game if he is hot, otherwise Luongo will. Brodeur is sleeping in hotels, and Luongo is in his own bed and playing in his own rink; do not discount that factor either. Luongo will be starting against the Finns in the final.
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Dallas wrote:
Both goalies have too heavy a workload in the NHL regular season, so I say let Brodeur play a game. It is just too bad he did not get a really easy one like Luongo did. I think that Luongo is the best goalie in the world right now, I would play him against anybody; but he does need to be fresh and well rested to play his best. So let the other goaltenders share some of the load.

Brodeur will likely start against the US, but I expect he will have a fairly short leash. He will finish the game if he is hot, otherwise Luongo will. Brodeur is sleeping in hotels, and Luongo is in his own bed and playing in his own rink; do not discount that factor either. Luongo will be starting against the Finns in the final.

I have heard on local sports talk radio that most players will be staying the Olympic Village.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hock.....cid=rsstsn
Quote:
Goaltender Roberto Luongo is looking forward to joining the other 22 Canadian players at Olympic village, which is located on False Creek near B.C. Place.

"I'm part of Team Canada, you know what I mean?'' said Luongo. "You want to take in the whole experience, right? You want to be with your teammates and other athletes as well.''

Both goalies can handle the work load. The thing with Luongo is that he breaks down at the end of the season. Witness the melt down against Chicago last year and them missing the playoffs the year before. As a Canucks fan, I hope it Brodeur for the rest of the Olympics because I would much rather have a Vancouver Stanely Cup than a gold medal. I think you are correct, Brodeur will most likely get the start on Sunday, but will get pulled if the US manage to get up by a couple.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: