Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great game. Yes team Canada did not roll over the swiss, but it is only game 2. Jonas Hiller is awesome. There is a reason the Ducks sent JS to the Leafs.

Really impressed with the swiss, I was expecting a NJ devils type game. But the Swiss where very aggressive.

Team Canada really needs to get the power play going(this can be said for all teams so far).

Big game sunday, third game no excuses. Sid better get more minutes.
905 Tory

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was clear what was lacking in Thursday's game: fire power on the part of Canada. They got all these guys who can load up the gun but not enough who can actually fire it. In particular, the Heatley-type. I hope that today in practice they have addressed that by changing around the gameplan and finding a correct place for players like Heatley, Iginla, and the like. Too bad, we can resurrect Lemeuix from retirement.

On another note, watching Sweden play is like watching poetry in motion on both sides of the rink. Even in 2010, I think they'll beat the Russians once the elimination tournament starts and definitely will be Canada's toughest matchup (if both teams make it to the finals or beforehand). Remember, they are the defending champs and have some of the best leaders and veterans in the game--most particularly, Lidstrom and Alfredsson.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas wrote:
I think they need to take Brodeur out now and put Luango back in (swiss game).
Also, do not forget, the Swiss only scored one goal, one was an own goal by Marleau. I think the Canadians will be fine, and will be top seeded in group A.

Am also picking Russia, and Finland to be the top seeds.

What does that make the medal round look like?
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with 905, Sweden is not the team to beat, it is Finland. That team has everything, size, speed, goal scoring, defense, and top rank goal tending. I think they are about to knock off Sweden. I just do not think they have it this year.

Man, has men's hockey ever come a long way in the past 10 years. There are at least 5 teams with a legitimate shot at winning this one: Canada, US, Russia, Czech Republic, (maybe Slovakia too) Finland, Sweden. Teams like Switzerland and Germany have been making incredible strides as well. A lot more competitive than the women's side at the moment.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we lost 5-3 to the US & what does this tell us? The United States is not going to win gold, they didn't beat us, Canada beat Canada because we dominated the play, we out shot them , & made them look like one of the weaker teams except one thing: Brodeur's age showed tonight because on a mere 21 shots he let in four goals. It's now time to pass the torch to Luongo or Fleury. And shades of Torino come to mind with Canada's lack of scoring.

Unfortunately based on the rankings Canada goes into the qualifier ranked 6th facing Germany & looking down at Russia in the quarters. And with that in mind I hate to admit this but I don't think Canada is going to get by Russia therefore meaning a Vancouver disaster not only in mens hockey but with the "own the podium campaign." Somebody is going to come under fire & it may make Canada a nation of sore losers but it's going to happen. And there will be questions on what's wrong with Canada's hockey program.

As for the United States no better then 4th, they are too weak to play a team like Russia or Sweden. And I almost think Slovakia could beat them in the quarters.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panic much?

I think it is a bit early to write the obit on 2010 team Canada. The extra game, and the extra playing time together will probably do them some good, and I think that if they play like they can, and as a team they can beat Russia.

That soft play on the empty netter was typical, that guy's stick was not even on the ice when the American came up and took a swipe at the puck. That can be fixed pretty easily.
Dallas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russia game is going to be tough because the Russian's will have been playing together for a while and those days off they're getting.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Canada comes together & plays what they are capable off then it's very possible that can both beat Russia in the quarters & win gold. But the way these Olympics have gone it's looking like a disaster. I remember posting on a board in debate about Canada's chances in 2006, & I said it then that they would lose to Russia, everyone else said they would be fine & find a way to win. Well I'm seeing shades of gray & the most likely result of more questions then answers.

Believe me I want Canada to win & for once win big against the Russia sending a clear message to Sweden & the United States. But my gut feeling is that the fans will have the desire at the end of the game to throw tomatoes at team Canada. Anyways I'm glad to hear Luongo is going to be in nets instead of Brodeur, but if history is a repeat he himself has been known to chock during the playoffs. So the only thing to do is pray & let God throw a lightning bolt upon the Russians.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas wrote:
The Russia game is going to be tough because the Russian's will have been playing together for a while and those days off they're getting.
I am confused. Did we think that it would be Latvia in the quarters, Germany in the semi, and Norway for the gold? I don't get it, if you want to win the Olympic hockey, you are going to have to knock off no less than 3 top shelf teams. Did you not know that Canada would have some tough games?

The US has to get by the Swiss.
Finland has the Czechs.
Sweden is going to draw Slovakia.
And Canada has to beat Russia. If it wasn't this game, you have to beat them eventually.

After that, I am guessing US Finland, and Slovakia Canada.

Bring on the tough games. Either we win, or we didn't deserve it, no regrets.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My prediction:

Russia over Canada 5-2 :cry:
United States over Switzerland 4-1
Slovakia upsetting Sweden 2-1 ov
Czech Republic over Finland 4-2

In the Semi's:

Russia over Slovakia 4-0
Czech Republic over the United States 4-3

For the bronze Slovakia over the United States 3-0
Russia winning Gold 4-2 over Czech Republic

I hope I eat my words tonight regarding the Canada/Russia playoff game. Either we beat Russia & win gold or we lose tonight & Russia wins gold. Personally instead of shaking hands it would be fun although primitive to see one big brawl erupt at the end of the game. :wink:
krackerjack121

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the first 4-1 Canada.

GO CANADA GO!!!

Rocky
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I am being overly optimistic here, but maybe, just maybe, the great wailing moaning and gnashing of teeth can stop now? SO sick of the kvetching....
Ardvark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I feel like I am being overly optimistic here, but maybe, just maybe, the great wailing moaning and gnashing of teeth can stop now? SO sick of the kvetching...."

Being brought up on the CBC, Canadians cannot help but be negative.

Go Canada!
krackerjack121

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7-3 End of Second.

Rocky
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm eating my words but it would seem I owe everyone on this board a beer. At the same time are we playing the Russian 'A' Team?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: