Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Laurie Scott wants to run again in haliburton kawartha lakes Reply with quote

( just saw this story , she wants to run again there but not sure how that will go over . she was a very popular mpp before she stepped aside , the whole tory incident did hurt her though )

And Laurie Scott, who stepped aside last year for ex-leader John Tory, is trying to get her central Ontario seat back by seeking the Conservative nomination ahead of the 2011 provincial election.

Scott, who currently acts as caucus liaison and special adviser to Opposition Leader Tim Hudak, will have to wait longer for a shot at the legislature, even if she secures the Conservative nomination in her old riding of Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock.

Many of her former constituents were upset when she stepped aside last year to give Tory a chance at a seat in the legislature, she said.

Tory lost the riding to Liberal Rick Johnson and resigned the leadership soon after.

Scott, whose father was a longtime federal MP, said she expects to face tough questions from voters if she ends up running again.

"Some understand a little bit clearer now my intent than then, because the emotion was a large factor," she said.

"But the people spoke. I'm sorry the way things worked out for Mr. Tory and for the riding, but I loved representing the people and I want the opportunity, if I could, to do it again."

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/.....ntoNewHome
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott makes bid to regain provincial seat official
Posted By Lindsay Post Staff
Updated 1 day ago

KAWARTHA LAKES - Laurie Scott wants back in.

The two-time former Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock Progressive Conservative MPP - who gave up her seat in the Legislature last year to open up an opportunity for former PC Leader John Tory to run and lose - announced on Thursday (Feb. 4) she is throwing her hat into the ring for the 2011 provincial election.

The controversial Scott-Tory byelection resulted in residents putting Liberal Rick Johnson at Queen's Park.

Does Scott think she can overcome the voter backlash?

"Yes," she told the Lindsay Post in an interview on Thursday (Feb. 4).

"I think people that knew me know of my long roots in the riding. I certainly loved the job when I was MPP. I understand some were disappointed by my decision last year. They have expressed their views and I apologize to them. I was trying to do what I thought was the right thing for the riding and the province. It was an opportunity to potentially get a premier in the riding which which would have helped all of us," she said.

In a prepared statement issued Feb. 4, Scott, who has been working for the part as the elections readiness chair, said "I am honoured and touched by the encouragement of so many wonderful people from across this riding who have asked me to run again.

"The value of public service is something that I truly believe in. It is for

that reason that I am asking the people of Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock to give me the opportunity to continue to serve them."

Scott filed her papers with the PC Party of Ontario on January 25. She

already has a nomination team in place and has been selling memberships. The local PC Association nomination date has not been officially set.

Advertisement

Told of Scott's announcement, Liberal MPP Rick Johnson said on Feb. 4 "it's interesting" but added that he would not be looking over his shoulder as he reaffirmed that he will seek the Liberal nomination for 2011.

"The town of Kawartha Lakes' Conservative Association is going to have a choise to make. It will be interesting to see what they do and so they'll go through the process but the election is almost two years away. I'm not going to concentrate on re-election until next year. In the meantime, there's important work to be done."

http://www.thepost.ca/ArticleD.....?e=2434929
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I lived in that riding, I wouldn't want her back after that stunt last year. She knew people didn't support Tory and she stepped aside anyway.

Screw her... I hope the local PC Association tells her to go pound salt!
331eldon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurie scott wants to represent haliburton-kawartha lakes-brock again. I live in this riding i voted for her in the past and believed she did a good job at that time, however after giving up her seat

she will not get my vote or support again.laurie mailed out a letter to me asking for support saying "our riding deserves a repersentive who understands this and will fight for our riding",she left our riding and because of that we have rick johnston a liberal another vote for dalton mcguinty and the harmonized sales tax.laurie also wrote in the letter "some people were disappointed by my decision last year" heck yes we were more than disapointed darn right angry we supported her voted her in and she left. now it is time for someone new to take us to victory over the liberals in ontario.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no problem with it.

We may have a hindsight is 20/20 approach in terms of the John Tory era in Ontario politics but let us not forget even after he lost the 2007 election he still secured the majority of support during the next leadership review.

Laurie Scott was in a bad situation.

There were 24 MPP's elected in 2007 for the Progressive Conservatives, and if you recall no one was running up and volunteering to step aside for the leader of the party to run in a by-election.

Even Stephen Harper provided no assistance, as he could have easily appointed Bob Runciman to the Senate and allowed for Tory to run in Leeds—Grenville.

Regardless of if you liked Tory or not,
He didn't get turfed at the leadership review, and protocol since the dawn of confederation is that one of the troops steps aside for the general.

The fact that Laurie Scott drew the short straw doesn't make her a Tory-Lover, it makes her a loyal solider.

And anyway, if she had not stepped down and allowed Tory to get smoked we would still have him as leader today.

I am not saying that Hudak is a better option, but I did not look forward to contesting the 2011 election with John Tory again.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third candidate vying for local PC nomination
Posted By LISA GERVAIS, LINDSAY POST REPORTER
Posted 10 hours ago

KAWARTHA LAKES-Hats are beginning to fill the ring with Lindsay businessman, Rob Seabrook, the latest candidate for the provincial Progressive Conservation (PC) party in Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock.

Seabrook joins former Lindsay MPP Laurie Scott and political neophyte Isaac Breadner in announcing their intentions to seek the nod.

The owner of Seabrook Rentall on Queen Street said he expects at least four or five candidates to come forward in the lead-up to the 2011 provincial election.

"It is going to be a horse race," he predicted during a chat withThe Lindsay Postat his business on Friday.

Seabrook said Scott -who gave up her seat for former PC Leader John Tory -has a lot of supporters but "if a credible candidate challenges her it will give those people who may have been disappointed in her decision an opportunity to vote for somebody else."

That said, Seabrook said he doesn't have a feel for the depth of hard feelings over Scott's decision.

He added he likes current Liberal MPP Rick Johnson as a person but is not happy with him as MPP. although he concedes that Johnson has been able to bring perks of government to the riding.

He said he would fault Johnson for not keeping residents fully informed about what is in new legislation. He added what is good for the Toronto base of the Liberal party isn't always good for the City of Kawartha Lakes. An example is the recent pesticide ban, said Seabrook, which means Lindsay area gardeners can no longer treat their weeds with simple pesticides such as 2-4-D or Rose Dust.

Seabrook describes himself as "a small C fiscal Conservative."

He said he wants to bring a small business perspective to Queen's Park. A local businessman since 1999, and a member of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business and the Lindsay and District Chamber of Commerce, Seabrook said he has kept informed of the challenges the current economy, and current government policies, have placed on small business, including farmers, and entrepreneurs in this riding.

He said people have been expressing their concerns on issues such as over-regulation of business, the erosion of individual choice, and the massive debt taken on by the current government. Other hot topics are WSIB reform, deregulation, the HST, overall government debt and eroding health services.

Advertisement

"There's been so many new regulations and Ontario-wide bans that have been foisted upon us and a constant stream of new legislation. It just burrows its way into your life more and more each day. And it won't be any easier with the HST coming in."

Seabrook said it is just another government tax and he does not believe it will be revenue neutral. He said things such as home heating fuels, gas and haircuts will be additionally taxed.

"I'm just like them (other small businesspeople) in that I have risked everything I have to be a business owner. I understand what it's like not to have a guaranteed paycheck at the end of the week.

"This riding depends on the success of small businesses and the current government seems to be trying its best to make it as difficult as possible for us to succeed and grow."

http://www.thepost.ca/ArticleD.....?e=2472324

Jump to: