Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Jim Watson liberal mpp joins Ottawa mayor's race Reply with quote

Jim Watson joins the mayor's race
Updated: Mon Jan. 11 2010 17:58:32

ctvottawa.ca

Municipal Affairs Minister Jim Watson will resign from cabinet and announce his candidacy for mayor on Tuesday, sources tell CTV Ottawa.

Watson, who represents Ottawa-West Nepean at the provincial level, will make the announcement at 10 a.m.

Watson previously served as Ottawa mayor from 1997-2000, prior to amalgamation. He also sat on city council from 1991-1997.

Two others have already signed up to fight for the city's top job. Coun. Alex Cullen and Rob Gauthier -- who's made several failed bids to run for city positions in the past-- both announced their candidacies last week.

Meanwhile, Mayor Larry O'Brien said Friday that he will wait until June before making a decision about seeking re-election. He said committing to a campaign now would be "ridiculously long".

O'Brien won the last municipal election with only three months of campaigning under his belt.

O'Brien previously told CTV Ottawa he planned to take the holidays to discuss his political future with his family, and would make an announcement in early January.

The nomination period runs from Jan. 4 to Sept. 10, and will elect one mayor, 23 city councillors, as well as school board trustees.

Residents will go to the polls on Oct. 25.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/a.....hub=Ottawa
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's actually off to a good start.

Today he came out against the $2 billion "light rail" plan the city has (it's actually street cars) and supported a rapid bus transit system which the conservative talk shows have been talking about for months now.

He'll lean enough to the right to draw conservative supporters and some lefties will support him since he's a Liberal.

He'll leave the hard right to the O"Brian and the hard left to Cullen.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the former minister of self promotion has decided like a rat to abandon the sinking Dalton ship and grace Ottawa with his exalted presence....again. Last time he was Mayor of that burg he charmingly threw it over mid term for an other Job.

I guess he has read the tea leaves and realizes that going up to the federal level is no safer then staying where he is, so Hi ho Hi ho it's back down a few levels to Mayor he go. Better to be a King fish in a small pond then being in no pond at all.

Does the average Jane or Joe perhaps to sense a pattern of behavior here? I should hope so.

Oh my goodness I didn't realize how much I disliked the man until this post popped out..... :shock:
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, it's likely that the Ontario PCs will pick up his seat?
crazymamma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it might be possible, I honestly do not know who ran against him last time, the only other silver lining is that he stated today that he was against the current 2.2 billion dollar LRT plans. A 2.2 dollars delayed for two or three years is less $$$$$ hoovered out of family's wallet.

God I gotta find that hobby farm outside the city limits and quick.....
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:

Today he came out against the $2 billion "light rail" plan the city has (it's actually street cars) and supported a rapid bus transit system which the conservative talk shows have been talking about for months now.

He'll lean enough to the right to draw conservative supporters and some lefties will support him since he's a Liberal.

The Ottawa Sun provided a nice tongue bath for Watson today. Not a good sign...

-Mac
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:

The Ottawa Sun provided a nice tongue bath for Watson today. Not a good sign...

-Mac

Before he went Liberal provincially Watson was actually known as a fiscally conservative mayor.
Mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Before he went Liberal provincially Watson was actually known as a fiscally conservative mayor.

As a new resident of the greater Ottawa area, I'm not familiar with Watson and barely familiar with O'Brien. From what I've seen so far, O'Brien has been fighting an uphill battle... majority of the councilors are solidly left and city hall bureaucrats sound like they're off the charts to the left. Is O'Brien the author of his own disputes? Again, not enough knowledge to say one way or the other...

-Mac
Daveeire

Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of these retreads are going to jump from McGiuinty's leaky boat? Bartelucci for Sudbury? Pupatello for Windsor? (She might be an improvment-Eddie Francis is uselss).
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:

As a new resident of the greater Ottawa area, I'm not familiar with Watson and barely familiar with O'Brien. From what I've seen so far, O'Brien has been fighting an uphill battle... majority of the councilors are solidly left and city hall bureaucrats sound like they're off the charts to the left. Is O'Brien the author of his own disputes? Again, not enough knowledge to say one way or the other...

-Mac

Well, Larry made a few dumb mistakes however I think the other councilors and the union are out to get him and have undercut him every step of the was.

Not sure if you're aware of this but the head of the city union was asked a question after O'Brien won the election and he stated "I run the city, not him."

So that gives you an idea of what's been going on since day one.

For example, that whole court case with Kilrae was actually started by the union who files a complaint with the police.
crazymamma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha........ lets not forget that they had to gooo way back to find charges that had not been laid since 1935 to try and stick him on. Probably the Attorny General had no clue they existed until some Liberal combed the books since law was put on paper to present day to get the guy on "something" to discredit him.

I could be wrong, but this had a serious stench of political interferance in the charges.
Mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That certainly provides interesting context.

-Mac

Jump to: