Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Has Blogging Tories surpassed Free Dominion? Reply with quote

A comparison of the 5 most recent topics in their forums vs. ours...

First column is replies. Third column is views.

It isn't even close. That is their busiest forum against our busiest forum.

Looks like the torch has been passed.

ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 01 00.46.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.09 KB
 Viewed:  6050 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 01 00.46.jpg

ScreenHunter_05 Jan. 01 00.47.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.17 KB
 Viewed:  6050 Time(s)

ScreenHunter_05 Jan. 01 00.47.jpg

optimus2861

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Connie & Mark have a very legitimate hate-on against the CPC over the CHRC issue, but they've taken it into cartoon-villainy territory. Proroguing Parliament is just another sign that Harper's our "elected dictator" according to their thread on it.

So yeah, FD's gone downhill, but the CPC is somewhat to blame for not reining in the Kommissars yet. I can't for the life of me figure why Jennifer Lynch still has a job.
Daveeire

Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to both BTand FD. There are issues that many agree on and some that are in disagreement. Even on each one there are arguments at times although I admit to being less familar with BT than FD having joined relatively recently.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the two cater to rather different audiences.

I used to be a big time poser at FD for years, but found it got too pessimistic over the years for my taste.
mtbr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there is definitely a negative tone over there lately. They are much more impatient with the Harper government than here. I think their problems with the CHRC is certainly a big factor and I think its completely understandable. There is simply not much tolerance for the pragmatism that is necessary when governing in a minority government situation. With a few exceptions people are more accepting of that here.

Some of the things the Harper government has done (or has not done) have certainly caused me to have second thoughts about my support at times, but I understand that to some degree the governments hands are tied due to the political situation. Moreover, I am becoming more convinced every day that our system of government is broken to such a degree that I may never be happy with the government unless our system is overhauled. At the moment we can only make the best of a less than ideal situation.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that they cater to different audiences. But my point was that several years ago Free Dominion was the undisputed king of Canadian conservative forums. It would appear that we have a new king.
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
It would appear that we have a new king.

Thanks to your's and Stephen's hard work!
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If BT surpasses FD then all that does is shift that 'X" towards this site. It's all great but when the left strikes hard their goal will be to shut you down. Hopefully there is a plan to combat this because in the last several years it's like as conservatives we engage & retreat while the left engages & advances, however with Harper as PM & the conservatives in a minority we are back into the trenches fighting a stalemate.
Daveeire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I said this before but FD was around back in the days of the devided conservative movement although the counter only covers visits since 2005. I only became aware of it after the CPC was created from the wreackage of the PCPC and the CA.

I have alot of respect for FD because I still remember those days before I knew of it. The Dorc's were causing mayhem in the CA. Joe Clark wa lurching around like an idiot. Harper then became Leasder of the CA and many people thought Martin was going to win big. Maybe we would lose opposition status and the PCPC would lose its status. Few people complained about Harper. They just figured the next election was a writeoff about which Harper could do nothing to alter the inevitable result.

Then the CPC came along. I recall when BT was linked with FD. FD was prety solidly behind Harper in 2006 altough there were a few critics.
DixieCanuck

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:

Yeah, this site is more progressive conservative. That's okay though... I don't think all conservatives fit into one party or forum anyways.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DixieCanuck wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:

Yeah, this site is more progressive conservative. That's okay though... I don't think all conservatives fit into one party or forum anyways.

That's a laugh. The membership here has always leaned pretty heavily towards the Reform / CA side of the old split. It's funny to hear some of my fellow Reformers complain about Harper being a secret PC - you should hear what old PC loyalists think about Harper some time.

In truth, I think Harper has attracted the support of large portions of both membership bases - I don't think anybody agrees 100% with what the Conserative government has done or is doing, but it seems like only the hard-core idealists of the former camps are furiously opposed to Harper's continued leadership.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still ample room on the inter-webs for both FD and BT. As most folks mentioned, both have their own unique style. I'm glad BT is doing well.

-Mac
Jason Kauppinen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any forum's posting rules become meaningless when the admin/owners do not hold themselves to the same standard asked of other people. That's one way to quickly kill a forum, as well as to destroy working relationships with people in real life generally.

Another way is to accuse anyone who disagrees with a certain opinion as being a "paid operative" of some other entity--af if it's automatically illegitimate to represent an opinion that happens to be in disagreement with other people. When a person starts doing this routinely, its clear that they simply can't handle discussion of opposing points of view in a respectful manner. Automatically assuming vile motives of someone who dares to disagree with you is a great way to run a forum into the ground, and a great way to alienate yourself from everyone in real life generally.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DixieCanuck wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:

I was thinking more "mainstream conservative" actually...
Daveeire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Kauppinen wrote:
Any forum's posting rules become meaningless when the admin/owners do not hold themselves to the same standard asked of other people. That's one way to quickly kill a forum, as well as to destroy working relationships with people in real life generally.

Another way is to accuse anyone who disagrees with a certain opinion as being a "paid operative" of some other entity--af if it's automatically illegitimate to represent an opinion that happens to be in disagreement with other people. When a person starts doing this routinely, its clear that they simply can't handle discussion of opposing points of view in a respectful manner. Automatically assuming vile motives of someone who dares to disagree with you is a great way to run a forum into the ground, and a great way to alienate yourself from everyone in real life generally.

I regularly go to FD so I could perhaps read something into what you write but what you say here is well put and does not get into ad hominem commentary. That is a noble goal I will try to stick to myself - although I may fail from time to time.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: