Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Conrad Black -> Freedom Fighter? Reply with quote

I have no problem with the man trying to get his citizenship back which he really should not have had to renounce in the first place.

But, "freedom fighter" ?

In a Sept 26/06 G&M article entitled 'Black wants to be Canadian again', Paul Waldie wrote:
[excerpted, emphasis added] “I always said that I would take my citizenship back, and if it wasn't for all these legal problems, I would have done it by now,” Lord Black told journalist Steve Paikin. “But I'm working on it, going through the normal channels like everyone else.”

Lord Black was compelled to renounce his Canadian citizenship in 2001 .. after a legal battle with then prime minister Jean Chrétien, who refused to approve the appointment unless Lord Black renounced his citizenship.
Lord Black has been spending most of his time in Toronto recently while he fends off criminal charges brought against him by prosecutors in Chicago.
During the television program, Lord Black portrayed himself as a “freedom fighter” and said that while he still views the United States as a great country in many ways, his admiration has been modified due to his legal ordeal.
Lord Black faces a number of criminal charges in Chicago over allegations he and other former executives of Hollinger International Inc. took more than $80-million (U.S.) from the Chicago-based newspaper company.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he had to give up his citizenship in order to accept knighthood in Britian. What does that have to do with the US?

PS. He is Lord Black of Crosshabour isn't he?
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he is Lord Black of Crossharbour.

The US reference appears to be related to his legal problems, of which he has many.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Freedom Fighter" may be putting in on thick, but there is no doubt that Black was a major influence thanks to his creating the National Post, the first and only right-leaning national newspaper in Canada.

Thanks to Black and the NP. Canadians got their first taste of people like Andrew Coyne and Mark Steyn!

Jump to: