Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edmonton_fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Serious question...

One thing that we all know is that we get the benefit of receiving calls asking for donations to the Conservative Party of Canada.

And that we are allowed to vote at constituency AGM's.

What other benefits do CPC members receive?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Edmonton_fan wrote:
Serious question...

One thing that we all know is that we get the benefit of receiving calls asking for donations to the Conservative Party of Canada.

I get those calls for donations already without the benefits of membership...

Like most things, you get what you put into it. If you choose to be active in the riding association, you get to be part of the team which works locally to put an MP in Ottawa. If you sit on your hands, you get to be like most members.

-Mac
Ardvark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Edmonton_fan wrote:
Serious question...

Big bags of Cash!!!

Opps. Sorry, that is the Liberal Party.
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Ardvark wrote:
Big bags of Cash!!!

I thought the delivery method of choice was manila envelopes? :lol:

-Mac
Ardvark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Ardvark wrote:
Big bags of Cash!!!

I thought the delivery method of choice was manila envelopes? :lol:

-Mac

Only if you are a "nanny".
Edmonton_fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Mac wrote:

Like most things, you get what you put into it. If you choose to be active in the riding association, you get to be part of the team which works locally to put an MP in Ottawa.

But when the riding association:

* Closes Board meetings to members

* Decides agendas, minutes & financial statements are confidential

* Decides only certain members receive newsletters, invitations to functions, etc...

My question is "If one is on the lower tier of the two tier membership category, what benefit is one actually receiving?"
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Edmonton_fan wrote:
But when the riding association:

* Closes Board meetings to members

* Decides agendas, minutes & financial statements are confidential

* Decides only certain members receive newsletters, invitations to functions, etc...

My question is "If one is on the lower tier of the two tier membership category, what benefit is one actually receiving?"

I could have sworn... let me check...

Edmonton_fan wrote:

Yup, I was right... That wasn't the question you asked... ;)

If you have a problem with your local riding association, I'm not sure the appropriate venue for discussing same is an internet forum which is read by everyone including those who would like nothing better than to embarrass conservatives of all stripes.

Perhaps you could address your concerns directly to the MP (or candidate) or take it up the food chain to the national party association?

-Mac
Edmonton_fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Mac wrote:

If you have a problem with your local riding association, I'm not sure the appropriate venue for discussing same is an internet forum which is read by everyone including those who would like nothing better than to embarrass conservatives of all stripes.

Perhaps you could address your concerns directly to the MP (or candidate) or take it up the food chain to the national party association?

Trust me - all non-public avenues have been followed. There is nowhere higher on the food chain to go....

Any other suggestions to ensure all members are treated equally- having full access to information to make decisions - and having the opportunity to meet with & discuss things with fellow members of the association?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Edmonton_fan wrote:

Pride every time you open your wallet and see it staring at you.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Edmonton_fan wrote:
Mac wrote:

Trust me - all non-public avenues have been followed. There is nowhere higher on the food chain to go....

Any other suggestions to ensure all members are treated equally- having full access to information to make decisions - and having the opportunity to meet with & discuss things with fellow members of the association?

You've tried your national councilor?

Without knowing the background it's hard to comment. Not to imply that this is your situation but in the past people have had similar complaints about their EDAs but then it turns out that they were trouble-makers trying to disrupt the EDAs.

If you have a legitimate problem I'd suggest selling memberships and swamp the next AGM meeting with sympathetic members.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, we've been down this road with Edmonton Fan before... I'm almost positive that I suggested speaking with our National Councillors previously. The fact is that the overwhelming majority of EDAs do not have these problems, and no one on this board has the ability or standing to change those local issues. I willing to bet this about the problems in Edmonton-East where a sizeable portion of the membership attempted to start a nomination contest due to disatisfaction with their current Conservative MP.
Edmonton_fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: What are the benefits of buying a CPC membership? Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:

If you have a legitimate problem I'd suggest selling memberships and swamp the next AGM meeting with sympathetic members.

The AGM was held - a slate of sympathetic members was presented. Ballots were counted & the elected members were announced. It was a close result between the open meetings members against the Secret Society members...

A few weeks later, we managed to get a copy of the elected Board members. One of the elected pro-Democracy slate had been replaced with someone who they hoped was a "puppet"...

After a full court press - the error was rectified...

For some strange reason, I have absolutely no faith in the integrity of a few Edmonton East Board members...

Jump to: