Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Peak oil?
Bullshit
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
we should be afraid... veeeerrry afraid
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

BHundo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Is peak oil a legitimate concern or bullshit? Reply with quote

The International Energy Agency had two whistleblowers say they deliberately overestimated oil supplies to keep from frightening markets earlier this month. The IEA currently predicts production plateaus at 2020.

What do you guys think?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necessity is the mother of invention. Regardless of the amount of oil left I am not concerned about our ability to produce enough energy to meet our needs now or in the future.
Some Guy 2.0

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to see more nuclear power plants... and maybe nuclear cars some day.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 173 Billion barels of oil in the Alberta Oil Sands.

http://oilsands.alberta.ca/index.cfm

I call Bulshit on 2020 peak oil.
Swift

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently a process was developed to extract oil from oilshale. The estimated reserves that this process will enable us yo exploit are greater than the total conventional reserves before the first oil well was drilled. Add to that the huge coal reserves that can be transformed into oil and natural gas at today's prices, you have centuries of fossil fuel reserves at reasonable prices. Reasonable before taxes at least.
DavidK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift wrote:
Recently a process was developed to extract oil from oilshale. The estimated reserves that this process will enable us yo exploit are greater than the total conventional reserves before the first oil well was drilled. Add to that the huge coal reserves that can be transformed into oil and natural gas at today's prices, you have centuries of fossil fuel reserves at reasonable prices. Reasonable before taxes at least.

Too bad greenies and leftards will call you a liar and say you don't actually care.
Craig Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoffer wrote:
I just want to see more nuclear power plants... and maybe nuclear cars some day.

And nuclear toasters
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is vast amounts of untapped oil below the floor of the arctic ocean ... if we could only figure out a way to extract it with all that seasonal ice floating around.

Quote:
The Arctic could hold about 22 percent of the world’s undiscovered conventional oil and natural gas resources

http://geology.com/energy/arct.....potential/
Alan A.

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peak oil will happen. Finite resource. It's a no-brainer. But when? The predicted year of it happening has been rolled forward, over and again, for decades. I'll bet on this: we'll all be dead of old age before it happens.

Also: peak oil is a production capacity plateau. What about the demand side? Most likely will decline too.

Finally: don't forget natural gas. The reserves are tremendous, well distributed geographically, and underused.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more of a concern than peak coal turned out to be, when coal was the primary fuel of transport and industry.

PS. One thing about the peakers that I have noticed, is they always seem to be t least a century off. I mean, peak coal has not happened yet, and William Stanley Jevons was on about that back in the 1860s.
Sylia

Reputation: 39.3Reputation: 39.3Reputation: 39.3Reputation: 39.3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Peak Oil...really? Reply with quote

Has the possibility ever occured to people that petrochemicals may be byproducts of living organism located fairly deep under ground? Given that there are locations where they are finding oil weren't areas know for having been tropical or containing many fossils, as well as the documented phenomena of wells abandonned because they were previously thought to have dried up being found to have seemingly revived, there's a lot more to oil than the popular culture is aware.

Try reading "The Deep Hot Biosphere" by Thomas Gold for starters. They also have produced microorganisms in laboratories which can produce the gasoline and diesel fractions that normally need to be refined from the raw stuff from the ground. If they can do it in a lab, why wouldn't be possible to be already found in nature. Oil from organisms...wouldn't that send the Suzuki crowd into conniptions. :D
WBD

Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuralandRight wrote:
There are 173 Billion barels of oil in the Alberta Oil Sands.

http://oilsands.alberta.ca/index.cfm

I call Bulshit on 2020 peak oil.

I agree. B/S on 2020.

173 Billion bbl is the estimated recoverable with today's technology. I believe the total estimated resreves of the Oil Sands is over 2 Trillion bbl. Who knows what the future recoverable reserve will be years from now.

Bill in Calgary
bsenka

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more known oil now than there was in the 70's when they started bleating that we were running out.

I think there's a lot about how oil ends up in the ground that we do not know definitely. Russians have found oil in igneous rock, where it should not be according to prevailing theory. There are some who even theorize that oil is generated much deeper in the earth's mantle, and just occasionally leaks up through whatever fissures it finds:

http://network.nationalpost.co.....s-oil.aspx

Jump to: