Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Todays world yesterday (Leonard Cohen - The Future) Reply with quote

Link

I find this song to be an excellent description of what's happening today. Probably even more so in 2009 than in '92 are Cohen's lyrics so relevant. Speaking of abortions, sexual immorality, the culture wars. Post WW2 and during the cold war, people were so concerned of Stalin and Communism, but after the fall of the Soviets, I think we lost sight of other evils, and that's what this song is saying.

Givew me back the Berlin Wall? Give me Stalin? Why? Because by comparison to what we have today, Stalin and the USSR doesn't look so bad.
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's changed is that there used to be some basic shared moral values that society as a whole upheld as worthwhile.

Moral values against adultery, moral values against a certain level of vulgarity in the media and in public, moral values against cheating (in the more general sense - i.e. against cheating at sports, or cheating on school tests), traditional family values of parents putting their children first and of raising their children with certain basic moral values, our holidays of Halloween and Christmas being something that united people together and added a deeper sense of culture to everything, etc..., etc...

Now, much of this has been sacrificed on the altars of political correctness and multiculturalism in many places through out Canada.

As it pertains to sex, I've met a lot of people on-line who seem to have no lines in the sand at all... and I mean at all. It's like all that they live for is sex, which I find very sad and shallow.

And then people wonder why we have the problems that we do with teenage pregnancy, with STDs, with broken families, with high divorce rates...

It's because the culture has grown sick. There's little in the current culture that reinforces good, bedrock behavior like staying true to your spouse, being prudent with your money, or living a healthy lifestyle.
Forward

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's because the culture has grown sick. There's little in the current culture that reinforces good, bedrock behavior like staying true to your spouse, being prudent with your money, or living a healthy lifestyle.

Hear hear. A couple of days ago a muslim iimigrant man I work beside said to me (in broken english) "This culture is fucked - no respect, everyone only for their own pleasure."

He went on to elaborate. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to defend my home against the things he was saying I couldn't. Everything he said was true.

What the hell was I supposed to say? "Oh yeah? Well at least we don't chop people's hands off!" or some other stupid accusation against Muslim nations? ----- A weak response to his descriptions of western culture.

I mean give me a break. When Vanity fair magazine shows a cover of 15 year old Miley Cyrus naked and her father is ok with it AND CNN's entertainment commentator says "It was very tastefully done" ------- What the hell CAN you say to defend our culture?
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward wrote:
Quote:

Hear hear. A couple of days ago a muslim iimigrant man I work beside said to me (in broken english) "This culture is fucked - no respect, everyone only for their own pleasure."

He went on to elaborate. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to defend my home against the things he was saying I couldn't. Everything he said was true.

What the hell was I supposed to say? "Oh yeah? Well at least we don't chop people's hands off!" or some other stupid accusation against Muslim nations? ----- A weak response to his descriptions of western culture.

I mean give me a break. When Vanity fair magazine shows a cover of 15 year old Miley Cyrus naked and her father is ok with it AND CNN's entertainment commentator says "It was very tastefully done" ------- What the hell CAN you say to defend our culture?

I sympathize completely.

Islamic culture may be one extreme... but the west has definitely become the opposing extreme. Just no sense of basic human decency or propriety whatsoever. Short-term instant gratification over everything... it's an utterly mad way to approach life, and yet it is what our current culture promotes.

It makes so many people restless and listless... just living for the moment, and never trying to build up something wholesome and worthwhile that'll last a lifetime (like, you know, a good honest family that has some real values that it lives by).

If Islamic culture comes to dominate in Europe as Mark Steyn as theorized then a big part of the reason why is because our own culture has degraded so much.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Not sure why the official video is censored? ... It is frightful that he is suggesting that the millions that Stalin murdered is better then what is to come in the future.

(On a side note: For anyone that is a fan of Leonard Cohen, there is a 'rumour' that he is coming to the Maraposa folk festival in Orillia Ontario next summer for the 50th anniversary of the festival) http://www.mariposafolk.com/index.php :wink:

Give me back my broken night
my mirrored room, my secret life
it's lonely here,
there's no one left to torture
Give me absolute control
over every living soul
And lie beside me, baby,
that's an order!

Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
stuff it up the hole
in your culture