Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Some new candidates for the conservatives in Peel region Reply with quote

couldn't help but notice a couple of new candidates were nominated for the conservatives this week in mississauga and brampton .

Parvinder Singh is the new conservative candidate in Bramalea Gore Malton .

Wladyshaw Lizon a polish community leader is the new conservative candidate in mississauga east cooksville .

and also Sue Mcfadden a city councillor will replace Wajid Khan in mississagua streetsville .

|
Nov 15, 2009 - 2:55 PM
|
0 .Polish leader eyes MP seat

New competitor. This afternoon at Maximillian Kolbe Parish in Mississauga, an acclamation celebration was held for Wladyslaw Lizon, president of the Canadian Polish Congress and the new federal Conservative candidate in Mississauga East- Cooksville. Supplied photo Long-time Mississauga MP Albina Guarnieri will be facing a new competitor the next time Canadians go to the polls.
This afternoon at Maximillian Kolbe Parish in Mississauga, an acclamation celebration was held for Wladyslaw Lizon, president of the Canadian Polish Congress and the federal Conservative candidate in Mississauga East- Cooksville.
Lizon, 55, a married father of two and Mississauga resident, said he knows he's up against some stiff competition in his riding. Liberal Albina Guarnieri has held the federal seat since 1988.
Lizon, a Polish immigrant, said his native country and Canada share "fundamental values" in human rights, the rule of law and democracy.
"Our two countries are experiencing unprecedented levels of co-operation which is leading to mutual benefit," he said after accompanying Prime Minister Stephen Harper on a trip to Poland last year. Canada's lifting of the visa requirement (on Polish nationals) and Poland's increased commitment to the NATO lead mission in Afghanistan are just two examples of such co-operation."
Lizon has been the national president of the Canadian Polish Congress for two years. He holds a degree in mining engineering and worked in the mining industry in Poland for six years. After immigrating to Canada, Lizon owned and managed Gomark Enterprises, a consulting business which designs, supplies interior finishes in marble, granite and other natural stones.
He is an active member of Maximillian Kolbe Parish in Mississauga and is vice-president of the Board of Directors of Wawel Villa Inc., a local seniors residence.

http://www.mississauga.com/new.....es-mp-seat
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McFadden to run for Tories

Sue McFadden. Sue McFadden has confirmed she will run for the federal Conservatives in the riding of Mississauga-Streetsville.

Sue McFadden is tossing her hat into the federal ring.
The first-term City of Mississauga councillor for Ward 10 confirmed today (Aug. 28) — after persistent rumours — that she will run for the federal Conservatives in the riding of Mississauga-Streetsville.
McFadden told The News she was approached by the Tories to win back the riding, which Bonnie Crombie won for the Liberals in last year’s election.
McFadden said she decided to run following an Aug. 17 meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Ottawa.
“The prime minister and I met for 15 minutes one-on-one, and we had a fabulous conversation. I was tapped on the shoulder; I didn’t go looking for this,” she said.
McFadden is confident she’ll be selected the Tory candidate at the local riding association’s nomination meeting Sept. 11.
And McFadden insists she isn’t jumping ship.
“In the three years on Council I saw we were getting only scraps from the provincial and federal governments. I look at what Bob Dechert (Tory MP for Mississauga-Erindale, elected in 2008) has been able to deliver and I realized that I can better contribute to my community if I’m in Ottawa.”
McFadden served six years as a trustee with the Peel District School Board before she was elected to City Council. She notes time isn’t on her side.
“I’m 52 years old, I maybe have eight more years of working ... I want to be where I can make the biggest difference.”
McFadden says she can reclaim Mississauga-Streetsville for the Tories after Wajid Khan wore out his welcome following two terms and a series of controversies.
Crombie took 45 per cent of the vote to Khan’s 36.
McFadden thinks she can beat Crombie.
“We’ll bring out the voters that haven’t voted before as Tories because they didn’t like the candidate; we’ll bring out the die-hard Tories; we’ll bring out the people who voted for Bonnie only because they didn’t like (Khan),” she said.
McFadden says she’s asked Brad Butt, a well-known volunteer and longtime friend, to be her campaign manager.
“Sue will make an excellent member of parliament,” said Butt. “She knows that community extremely well because she’s represented it for quite some time both as a school trustee and as a City councillor. When you’re in Ottawa, it’s helpful if you can look back at a municipal career and be able to reflect on what’s happening back home. I think it’s important for a member of parliament to be able to do that.”
A recent Harris-Decima survey suggests the Tories and the Liberals are in a statistical tie in popularity among voters.
Some Liberals are eager for an autumn election and are pushing leader Michael Ignatieff to topple Harper’s minority government.
The Liberals will have an opportunity on Sept. 30 to force a confidence vote, most likely over employment insurance. It’s believed Nov. 9 and 16 are being eyed as potential voting days.

http://www.mississauga.com/new.....for-tories

Sep 16, 2009 - 7:01 PM
|
2 .McFadden acclaimed

In the running. Ward 10 councillor Sue McFadden was acclaimed Friday night as the Conservative candidate for Mississauga-Streetsville in the next federal election. File photo

Sue McFadden was acclaimed Friday night as the Conservative candidate for Mississauga-Streetsville in the next federal election.
The Ward 10 councillor previously told The News she was approached by Prime Minister Stephen Harper to stand against Liberal incumbent Bonnie Crombie.
McFadden said her decision to run for a seat in the House of Commons was made on the assumption a fall election was inevitable.
But, with the election seemingly averted and municipal elections scheduled for next year, McFadden faces a tough dilemma – which position will she give up?
“It’s certainly something that has been weighing on my mind,” admitted McFadden, who served as a trustee for the Peel District School Board before being elected to City Council in November 2006.
“I love my job. If it comes down to it and we don’t have an election, I’ll stay doing what I am doing. I won’t jeopardize what I have,” she said.
McFadden, 52, said she would like to be around to watch some of the projects in her ward come to fruition.
“In the political arena, opportunities come up when you least expect it,” said McFadden. “I didn’t go looking for this. I think sometimes decisions have to be made for the bigger picture. If it comes to it, I’ll certainly stay on as a councillor with no regrets whatsoever. I will be making that decision at the beginning of the year. I owe it to the residents of Ward 10.”
McFadden says she has the support of most her constituents to pursue her dream of serving as a Member of Parliament in Ottawa.

http://www.mississauga.com/new.....-acclaimed
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parvinder Singh wins Conservative Party nomination for Bramalea-Gore-Malton riding
November 3, 2009, 7:13 pm

Santosh Tangri :Mr. Parvinder Singh, owner of Homelife United and supervising about 400 salespersons has won prestigious riding of Bramalea-Gore-Malton. Hundreds of Canadians, South Asians and particularly members of Punjabi Community surely did not disappoint as community members liberally supported him to win Conservative Party nominationfor for this parliamentary riding. They converged in droves on Pearson Convention Centre, Brampton on Saturday, October 31 to ensure he came out victorious in party nomination. To try their luck, there were three other leading Punjabis in the fray. Despite of seemingly tough fight Mr Singh won with high margin About one-third of votes were cast out of estimated 7000 voters and the respective supporters of all the four candidates were keeping their fingers crossed for the outcome. The third round of preference votes did the trick for the victorious man.

Throughout the day ,greetings room entrance and the lobby at the venue were centres of activities marked by discussion mostly in Panjabi for would -be voters and supporters of the four candidates. The scene looked very much of municipal poll sight in back home in Punjab, with difference of order and discipline separating the two.

For Parvinder Singh, the award given by reputed English weekly Midweek on Sunday ,October 25 ,as “Achiever of the year’ came as heaven sent opportunity and served as lucky charm .His supporters claim it certainly added to his iron will for achieving victory in the nomination by Conservatives to contest for a seat in the House of Commons, a dream often cherished by Punjabis settled in Canada. But this nomination may not enthuse or please a section of Punjabis who have steadfastly supported and stood by Gurbax Singh Malhi, the man who created history by becoming the first bearded Sikh ever to sit in House of Commons of Canada. Political observers and Punjabi supporters of both the Punjabi candidates are hoping for a close but interesting fight in the Bramalea-Gore-Malton riding which has returned Malhi a record six times to the House of Commons. Meanwhile ,the victory of Parvinder Singh in the nomination battle is sure to cause ripples in the hearts of Malhi’s supporters who will leave no chance to see that the citadel of their icon remains invincible. But the common Panjabi is happy visualising that the riding in all eventuality is going to be bagged by a Punjabi.

Talking on the South Asian Pulse radio on 2nd October Mr Singh conveyed sincere thanks to all the community members who spared time to cast valuable vote in his favour,he also expressed deep gratitute towards his team of organisers and supporters who worked hard for his success and hoped for their continued support in the parliamentary elections as well.

http://www.midweekcanada.com/n.....&cid=4
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue McFadden has a real chance in Mississauga Streetsville because she is fairly popular and has served as the councilperson for Ward 10 for (I believe) as long as there has been a Ward 10 in Mississauga. Coupled with the fact that the current Liberal MP is a rookie MP.

Wladyshaw Lizon may be able to unite the Polish vote around Cawthra and the 403, but Mississauga East-Cooksville is Albina Guarnieri's riding for as long as she opts to run within it.

I have to admit, I am a little disappointed that Stella Ambler will not get a second kick at the can in Bramalea—Gore—Malton. I think she may have very well knocked on every door in that riding during the 2008 election and is a big reason why Bramalea—Gore—Malton is even a targeted riding this election.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Sue McFadden has a real chance in Mississauga Streetsville because she is fairly popular and has served as the councilperson for Ward 10 for (I believe) as long as there has been a Ward 10 in Mississauga. Coupled with the fact that the current Liberal MP is a rookie MP.

Wladyshaw Lizon may be able to unite the Polish vote around Cawthra and the 403, but Mississauga East-Cooksville is Albina Guarnieri's riding for as long as she opts to run within it.

I have to admit, I am a little disappointed that Stella Ambler will not get a second kick at the can in Bramalea—Gore—Malton. I think she may have very well knocked on every door in that riding during the 2008 election and is a big reason why Bramalea—Gore—Malton is even a targeted riding this election.

think the new candidates are ok and i'm not sure if some of the longtime liberal incumbents will run again like albina guarnieri has been mp for almost 20 years so at some point she has to retire . but either way the conservatives will remain competitive in the 905 . its also surprising she has managed to outlive politically that is several provincial mpp's who held that riding . as it hasn't had the same swing federally as it did provincially.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

think the new candidates are ok and i'm not sure if some of the longtime liberal incumbents will run again like albina guarnieri has been mp for almost 20 years so at some point she has to retire . but either way the conservatives will remain competitive in the 905 . its also surprising she has managed to outlive politically that is several provincial mpp's who held that riding . as it hasn't had the same swing federally as it did provincially.

You are correct,
MP's like Albina Guarnieri and Paul Szabo who have been in place for a long time in Mississauga will have to retire sooner or later

But keep in mind that Albina Guarnieri is only 56, and Paul Szabo is only 61.

If they do opt to retire you have the benefit of them campaigning right beside their potential replacement.

There really doesn't seem to be much correlation between Provincial and Federal politics in Ontario, especially the GTA. Mississauga was blue during the Harris years but till elected Liberals Federally by double digit margins.

Now you have a situation where you have MP's who have been in power for decades and you have a massive incumbency advantage.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
it.

Seems Stella Ambler has moved to Lorne Park in Mississauga, and will be seeking the CPC nomination for Mississauga South, not sure who else is seeking the nom in Mississauga South though.

Jump to: