Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Some Guy 2.0

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Think we'll see dimpled cars anytime soon? Reply with quote

The Mythbusters recently (in Season 7 Episode 14) proved that dimpling a car like a golf ball would give the car an 11% increase in fuel efficiency.

That's quite significant, but I somehow doubt we'll see dimpled cars anytime soon, though I think that it would probably be the only way to make me buy a brand new vehicle (that and a four cylinder diesel engine in a truck). Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Craig Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. At what speed was the fuel economy achieved?
Some Guy 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 65 miles per hour. Or 104.60736 kilometers per hour (thank you Google calculator).
Craig Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoffer wrote:
At 65 miles per hour. Or 104.60736 kilometers per hour (thank you Google calculator).

I wonder if there is an improvement at lower speeds. I think the dynamics behave differently at higher speeds and the dimples might actually harm fuel efficiency at lower speeds - but I don't know that for certain.
Some Guy 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they were pretty certain it would have an effect at lower speeds, because it increased the aerodynamics in the small scale tests significantly, even with extremely, extremely low air/fluid speeds.
IsleofBarra

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be in luck shortly for your 4 cylinder diesel truck. The Indian automotive company Malhotra is supposed to be shipping a 2.2 litre diesel truck into the N.A. market, fall 2009. I understand they have signed up 800 big three dis-enfranchised dealers to their network. The engine is a mercedes diesel.

It's the truck I've been looking for! It's about time!
Some Guy 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shnikes that's awesome! Now if only I could afford it... I need advertisers.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IsleofBarra wrote:
You may be in luck shortly for your 4 cylinder diesel truck. The Indian automotive company Malhotra is supposed to be shipping a 2.2 litre diesel truck into the N.A. market, fall 2009. I understand they have signed up 800 big three dis-enfranchised dealers to their network. The engine is a mercedes diesel.

It's the truck I've been looking for! It's about time!

The dimpled idea sounds awesome!

The Canadian market has welcomed diesels for years but the American market isn't as welcoming. Anytime I've talked diesel with car guys in the States, they all say the same thing: dirty, smelly, not enough HP.

Unless Malhotra caters to smaller markets (like Canada), they're unlikely to penetrate the North American market.

-Mac
Some Guy 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American muscle cars are all gasoline, unfortunately. And that's what American's like: muscle.
Mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoffer wrote:
American muscle cars are all gasoline, unfortunately. And that's what American's like: muscle.

Yup... Although good running diesel puts a similar sized gas engine to shame for both torque and fuel economy (and the new ones are cleaner too), unless it's a V8, the Americans aren't interested...

-Mac
Some Guy 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy who chipped his v8 diesel truck, and it outperforms Corvettes and Vipers.

Yes, I am planning on doing this one day.
Mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoffer wrote:
I know a guy who chipped his v8 diesel truck, and it outperforms Corvettes and Vipers.

Yes, I am planning on doing this one day.

Unless you have deep pockets, don't do it. Diesels are built for durability, not high performance. They're expensive to rebuild.

I miss my old Dodge 3/4 ton with the Cummins turbo-diesel. It had enough power stock to fulfill my needs but the only dragging I did was a trailer.

-Mac
Some Guy 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He Turbo'd it, did a few other upgrades, and chipped it. He doesn't run it on max that often, mostly leaves it on a level better for city driving. I would only put it on max performance with the chip while I'm schooling people who own sports cars, which wouldn't happen very often.
IsleofBarra

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the trucks Malhotra are bringing into N.A. on the web. There is a 2 door, a 4 door truck and a SUV all with the 2.2 diesel. They are setting up in the US market then Canada. I wish it were the other way "round!
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Think we'll see dimpled cars anytime soon? Reply with quote

Justin Hoffer wrote:
The Mythbusters recently (in Season 7 Episode 14) proved that dimpling a car like a golf ball would give the car an 11% increase in fuel efficiency.

That's quite significant, but I somehow doubt we'll see dimpled cars anytime soon, though I think that it would probably be the only way to make me buy a brand new vehicle (that and a four cylinder diesel engine in a truck). Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

This idea has been around forever. They didn't make the cars then, I doubt they will make them now.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: