Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Some Guy 2.0

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Wish me luck. Reply with quote

I'm leaving in an hour (as of this post) to go get proof of my grade 10, then I will be heading over to Minto Armoury to enlist in the Canadian Forces Reserves. It will take some time before my application is processed, but hopefully it won't take too long. Hopefully, I will be able to continue as a Blogging Tory while enlisted, but we'll have to see. I'll let everyone know how it went when I get back home in the evening, after I finish some other errands.
IanM

votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

Congratulations on deciding to join up. Not many people make that decision. I know it's been a tough one for you. You'll understand more as you go on in the military about the nature of the state. It's good to see you taking an interest in serving your country, as has been discussed in its own thread, Service is its own reward. The Royal Winnipeg Rifles is an excellent unit, with a distinguished history, make sure you learn it. Once you understand the regimental system, once you understand why the military is the way it is, you'll understand about the role of the crown a lot more. I recommend you pick up a book called 'Canada's Army' though if you can, its a good read, a good starting point, it gives a good historical look on the armed forces.

Make sure you start running, a lot , it will help you later on, the same with push ups, sit ups and chin ups. Don't worry too much about weight training. Try to be able to do at least 30 pushups, 30 situps and 5 chin ups before you go off and start your training. You'll be a lot better off. If you really want to be keen, take a backpack, load it with 20-30lbs and start walking with it. Start low and build up, you have lots of time. Message me if you need any other tips and tricks, I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

It'll probably take a few months to get your application processed, your medical done, etc. So hopefully you'll have a nice summer worth of training, my best guess is you'll be a qualified Rifleman within a year. It's not easy, you will understand yourself a lot better when you finish training. However, hundreds of thousands of people have done this, and hundreds of thousands more will.

Keep your head in, always have your eyes and ears open and all that good stuff. You'll do okay. Just watch out for details, they kill you know.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do don't fail your IQ test, because you will be humiliated. And yes if your dumb enough the CF won't take you. :lol: BTW don't look at me, but I was an applicant who didn't make it due to a physical disability on my left hand called the 90 bent index finger. However I did have a cousin who failed the IQ test. :wink:
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's still the case but 20 years ago, flat feet were enough to fail the medical. Luckily enough, the Mounties weren't as fussy.... but I know, from experience, why they call cops 'flat foot'...

-Mac

ps: I'm moving this thread to the Lounge since it has nothing to do with Canadian politics.
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
I don't know if it's still the case but 20 years ago, flat feet were enough to fail the medical. Luckily enough, the Mounties weren't as fussy.... but I know, from experience, why they call cops 'flat foot'...

-Mac

ps: I'm moving this thread to the Lounge since it has nothing to do with Canadian politics.

From what I've heard that is not so much of an issue anymore, they will try to find a justification for letting you in.

Justin,
You are about to enter an honourable profession, even if its part-time. One of my regrets is that I didn't join the military but rather stayed in school. Because of my research interests it seems I'll be trapped in the academic world for quite some time. Are there any specific jobs in the military for those with graduate degrees in certain fields? The only ones I can think of are physicians and JAGs.
Some Guy 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the application process is going well. I'm already fairly physically fit, but I'm going to get myself training again. I've got most of the paperwork done, but there's some of it that I'm a little unsure on, mainly where I've lived and worked over the past five years (never could find places that I liked). I tried the online practice test... got 100% and it took me less than 10 minutes for the entire thing. I found it too easy.

My application will be going in on Monday, then all I can do is wait and train myself physically. I have the distinct feeling they may be skeptical about me, because of my rather "non-linear" last five years, but hopefully the interview will go well.

I'm attempting to for armoured, as infantry is full. For some reason, getting to drive a Mercedes off road sounds very, very fun.

Jump to: