Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to add to the above post.

If the house already has natural gas hookup available and if the existing oil furnace already has the ductwork in place, it might not be too expensive to put in a new gas furnace.

A couple years back my parents put one in for around $3500 and that included ductwork.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Oil vs. Gas furnaces Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
What are the pros and cons?

I'm considering purchasing a house that is at a great price but has an oil furnace. My family thinks I should go with natural gas.

Anyone out there have experience with both? Are there differences in monthly cost? I've also read some blogs that the air quality in your home can be compromised. True?

Thanks for your help.

With all the overlapping government grants I would put in a gas furnace. You could score on the home renovation tax credit, and score on those energy grants. Wouldn't it be nice to be lined up at the trough for a change ?

The price of diesel is gonna rise in a huge way once the economy gets back on its feet. You would be bent over the table every time some third world terrorist decided to blow up a pipeline, or OPEC decided to increases prices to support their nuclear programs.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an interesting page, that may help you out with the straight cost of fuel.

http://www.staywarmnh.org/fuelprices.htm

No idea what a therm is, generally in Canada you are buying gas in cubic meters, liquid fuels in liters and wood is still sold in cords. Maybe you can find a chart that is more applicable to Canada.

PS.
http://www.saskenergy.com/resi.....s_curr.asp

Don't believe what people say about gas being cheap. I always found, with SaskEnergy anyway, that it took a PhD to figure out the bill, and it always cost more than I thought it should. Looking at the rate schedule, there is the basic monthly charge, delivery charge, and the charge for the actual gas. As I remember, there is tax on top of that.

Digging around the net, it looks like you can ball park a therm as 3 cubic meters of gas.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: