Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torian

Reputation: 42.2Reputation: 42.2Reputation: 42.2Reputation: 42.2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: How do you start a class action lawsuit against the ont govt Reply with quote

In all the comments sections of the stories involving ehealth, I see tons of people wanting to do this (or bring criminal charges against them), but I can't see any that have been implemented.

Is this even possible? I'm not a lawyer, so I don't even know if it or how it can be done. But I do know that waiting until the next election and hoping McGuinty is voted out is not good enough.

Any help info greatly appreciated!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: How do you start a class action lawsuit against the ont Reply with quote

torian wrote:

I'm not a lawyer either but I believe, in order to sue someone, you (either as an individual or a corporation) must be prepared to show how the action of the government damaged you personally or commercially. By extorting our support through taxation and putting that loot into a general fund, the government makes it hard to prove that individuals are the victims of unfair treatment rather than of generalized shared suffering.

A class action suit on behalf of all tax payers might address that but the problem is a significant portion of the tax payers actually support McGuinty's Liberals. If not, why were they elected?

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, you don't. The government is using your money to pay for their lawyers. If you win, you will only get your money back, less the legal fees. In effect you would be paying for both sides of the litigation.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you start a class action lawsuit against the ont Reply with quote

torian wrote:
In all the comments sections of the stories involving ehealth, I see tons of people wanting to do this (or bring criminal charges against them), but I can't see any that have been implemented.

Is this even possible? I'm not a lawyer, so I don't even know if it or how it can be done. But I do know that waiting until the next election and hoping McGuinty is voted out is not good enough.

The problem is, if you win, you are only getting back your tax money. The government would simply raise taxes or (worse) raise the deficit.
You gave them a buck, you get back 80 cents (minus lawyer fees) and then government then takes a buck back from you.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I am dense when it comes to this issue,

But what was illegal about the entire eHealth issue?
They used tax dollars to hire consultants who won untendered contracts? and as the case with consultants within the private sector they charged for every last muffin and coffee.

Was it a piss poor use of tax dollars?
Of course.

But at the same time, the city of Toronto giving Bombardier an untendered contract for 234 Subway cars was a piss poor use of tax dollars,

And while I am at it, what about the billions of dollars that went to the Provinces in 2004 when Paul Martin was doing his cross country national daycare cheque handout-a-thon?

We didn't create a single daycare spot, yet the cheques were cashed? and that is a misuse of funds in the BILLIONS of dollars.

This is another example to add to the long list why money is better in my pocket because I can spend it without the government bureaucracy tax that comes attached with government spending, but I am not sure how hard we can hit the government for squandering tax dollars when the precedent has been set for decades.

Jump to: