Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: What does Tim Hudak need to do to wake up sleepy ontario ? Reply with quote

Its becoming clear to me that there is not alot of interest from the general public towards provincial politics at the moment and i think the opposition parties in ontario have a long way to go to wake up the average voter as they say . the lack of interest is obvivous come election day here as voter turnout is constently dropping each provincial election or by-elections where turn out is sometimes dismal . the low voter turnout and lack of interest makes it extremely hard to punish or vote out the incumbent mcguinty liberals .
think its becoming obvivous that Tim Hudak is going to have to do something significant to wake up this very sleepy province . sure the e health scandal has got some press but it still hasn't been enough to significantly reduce ontario liberal support . and i don't think voters are that familar with him yet so this might be a good oppurtunity to get known .
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in Ontario won't pay attention until it gets closer to an election.

Once the HST kicks in people will be upset.

Remember, when Harris won the 95 election he actually started off with lower levels of support than not just the Liberals, but also lower than the hated Rae NDP government.
Cardiac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, there's an unholy list of garbage that the podscum Liberals have heaped on the good peoplle of this province. Where does Hudak start? He's on the HST but he's got to start a fire under the party to wipe out the taxorban legacy of the Liberals
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
People in Ontario won't pay attention until it gets closer to an election.

Once the HST kicks in people will be upset.

Remember, when Harris won the 95 election he actually started off with lower levels of support than not just the Liberals, but also lower than the hated Rae NDP government.

well thats part of the problem , if no one is paying attention till the election its hard for an opposition party to get traction and the government gets alot more free press . and the election is not for something like 2 years and thats a long time for some but not really that long when you think about it . Tim Hudak needs to step things up a bit i feel and get out there much more than he is at the moment . some town hall style meetings in various parts of the province might help , but i'm not really sure .
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop running on Principal, and start running on Policy.

While I enjoy watching Hudak's passion about the hated HST its coming, and while we should fight against it, we shouldn't focus all our efforts on it.

We are dedicating all our time and effort to block a tax that will come into effect in Ontario because we don't have the means in Parliament to stop it.

The pressure should be on to make it as tax neutral as possible because that is something we may be able to gain some traction on.

Dalton is still polling in the high 40's, and we seem to be putting all our eggs in the basket that when the politically comatose voters of Ontario see an HST on their receipts they will flip out, and if they do for a week, or two, or a month and then sink back into their comfortable existence of apathy?

Then what?

We have a leader who wasted a year campaigning on something that he failed to achieve and no one will remember come election day.

Move forward on a 5% + 5% strategy

If he need to pay GST on everything now, we need a tax cut to make it neutral, that will resonate with voters much louder then "DST" or whatever we have come up with.

I was perhaps one of Hudak's most vocal supporters on this forum, now part of me wonders if we would not have been served by someone else at the head of the party.

I am generally uninspired by the party right now.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Stop running on Principal, and start running on Policy.

While I enjoy watching Hudak's passion about the hated HST its coming, and while we should fight against it, we shouldn't focus all our efforts on it.

We are dedicating all our time and effort to block a tax that will come into effect in Ontario because we don't have the means in Parliament to stop it.

The pressure should be on to make it as tax neutral as possible because that is something we may be able to gain some traction on.

Dalton is still polling in the high 40's, and we seem to be putting all our eggs in the basket that when the politically comatose voters of Ontario see an HST on their receipts they will flip out, and if they do for a week, or two, or a month and then sink back into their comfortable existence of apathy?

Then what?

We have a leader who wasted a year campaigning on something that he failed to achieve and no one will remember come election day.

Move forward on a 5% + 5% strategy

If he need to pay GST on everything now, we need a tax cut to make it neutral, that will resonate with voters much louder then "DST" or whatever we have come up with.

I was perhaps one of Hudak's most vocal supporters on this forum, now part of me wonders if we would not have been served by someone else at the head of the party.

I am generally uninspired by the party right now.

i also wonder how much time should be focused on the hst as well , as its clear the provincial party has such small numbers in the house there is no way to stop it anyways . and the federal government doesn't seem interested in backing away either . i'm not sure its an issue that is going anywhere or be any real change on .

i think Tim Hudak needs something else if he's to get the general public interested in provincial politics again .

edit i just saw on another site that pc mpp jim wilson had taken out a google ad on one of those pages that allows for that , an interesting way to get his message put out there but i think were going to need alot more than that if were to take on the liberals .

Jump to: