Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: A lot of money Reply with quote

Huge steaming piles in fact.
Quote:
The federal government racked up a $13.2-billion surplus for the last fiscal year and the Harper administration will apply all of it towards the national debt

http://www.globeinvestor.com/s.....5/GIStory/

Is there any other purpose that this money should be used for instead?

PS. Weren't the Liberals saying that the CPC would take us back to deficits by now during the last election? I expect a lot of Liberal complaining over this.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you are interested, it is my opinion that paying down the debt is a virtuous cycle. Less debt service charges means more money for other things next year. During the Trudeau years we were caught in the opposite; more defecit meant more serice charges and even more borrowing next year.

We spend 30 to 40 billion every year (depending on interest rates) paying the interest on the money past generations borrowed.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joy of over-taxation! Instead of looking for ways to spend this so-called surplus (grrrr) let's pay off Trudeau's financial legacy and make Canada debt & deficit free. Then we can get down to some really nice TAX CUTS.

-Mac
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think paying off the debt is a good idea. It is not as sexy as spending, but we will be better off for it in the long run. I hope Harper stays the course on this. Moves like this will ensure a victory in the next election.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of people who would not agree. To play the devils advocate, why should we who are currently working have to pay for the artificially high standard or living that our parents enjoyed during the free-spending years?

Debt reduction does not generate the sexy headlines like "fix healthcare for a generation". $13 billion would have paid for a lot of bureaucrats to work in the health care system you know, or thousands of studies and royal commissions.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Conservative Leader Stephen Harper's promises made to date will produce a deficit "of at least $12.4 billion over five years," the Liberal campaign said in an analysis of Tory fiscal plans.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada.....price.html

So, the Liberals were dead wrong on that call. If you can't tell, I am gloating pretty hard. All you Liberals reading this, feel free to feel insulted, personally, by me. :twisted:

http://www.liberal.ca/news_e.a.....p;id=11388

I wonder if they will try the same scare tactics next election?
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having personally experienced Ralf’s cuts during the 90's to health care, being in grade school classes of no less than 45, all to help pay down the debt, I can honestly say that it was all worth it. My education did not suffer, I still received all the health care I needed, and am on way to finishing my first degree. I can't state how proud I am of Harper to start paying down our national debt and would encourage every other provincial government to start paying down their debt too. The virtuous cycle of debt reduction is well worth it, currently allowing Alberta to have hundreds of millions worth to spend on our social programs that would otherwise go to our lenders.

Bravo Harper!!

Lets pay off another 12 Billion next year!!
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleatmop wrote:
Having personally experienced Ralf’s cuts during the 90's to health care, being in grade school classes of no less than 45, all to help pay down the debt, I can honestly say that it was all worth it. My education did not suffer, I still received all the health care I needed, and am on way to finishing my first degree. I can't state how proud I am of Harper to start paying down our national debt and would encourage every other provincial government to start paying down their debt too. The virtuous cycle of debt reduction is well worth it, currently allowing Alberta to have hundreds of millions worth to spend on our social programs that would otherwise go to our lenders.

Bravo Harper!!

Lets pay off another 12 Billion next year!!

YES!! I grew up in the same time, experience the same situation. When I came to ontario, in grade 10, it took me until grade 12 to start learning anything new... My education was twice as good in Alberta as in ontario...
Harper is following a model that works - its an endless cycle - pay down the debt and the surplus is greater next year...

The idea that we're over-taxed is true - but when that taxation results in paying down the debt, even I, one who advocates lower taxation - am not upset.
Just think about the things the NDP and Liberals would waste this on...
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, going by past experience, the NDp would not waste it on anything, because they will never get elected. The Liberals would keep it till the next election, then offer to pay us if they were re-elected.
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...$47 million less for having a smaller cabinet...He added that the cuts would result in 300 to 340 job losses that he said would be absorbed through natural government attrition..."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/250.....oices.html

That is good! The cuts they've made were perfectly fine. They also send a good message with smaller government.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess cutting the funding for medical marijuana research will save them all the embarassment of being proven wrong all the time, when they make outrageous lies about Cannabis. Now they can continue claiming that their is not enough research to approve a non-toxic herb and offer us their pharma poisons instead. Tony Clement and his pharma company must be smiling all right. Once again Harper has proven to me that he will never deserve my vote.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We wouldn't need government funded research, if it weren't for prohibition the private sector would do the research at no cost to the taxpayer. They are such a bunch of lying sacks of shit, on one hand they say there is not enough research, then they cut funding for the research and prevent the private sector from doing the research with their prohibition. Meanwhile millions of Canadians are already using cannabis for medical purposes with great success. This will only make us cannapeople redouble our efforts to see Harper and his minions defeated in the next election. What will cutting the medical cannabis program pay for? Another helicopter to spy on Canadian citizens, to make sure they are growing any plants? Harper is such a loser, and he will be an even bigger loser come election time.
biggie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrGreenthumb wrote:
We wouldn't need government funded research, if it weren't for prohibition the private sector would do the research at no cost to the taxpayer. They are such a bunch of lying sacks of shit, on one hand they say there is not enough research, then they cut funding for the research and prevent the private sector from doing the research with their prohibition. Meanwhile millions of Canadians are already using cannabis for medical purposes with great success. This will only make us cannapeople redouble our efforts to see Harper and his minions defeated in the next election. What will cutting the medical cannabis program pay for? Another helicopter to spy on Canadian citizens, to make sure they are growing any plants? Harper is such a loser, and he will be an even bigger loser come election time.

Hehehe, I love when you post - your complete lack of respect/intelligence(?) makes a great argument for legal abortion ;)
biggie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrGreenthumb wrote:
This will only make us cannapeople redouble our efforts to see Harper and his minions defeated in the next election.

hahaha yeah, a bunch of stoners do anything but sit on the couch eating cheetos and playing Playstation.. funny guy.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually.... the funding for the medical marihuana research project was cancelled by the Liberals before the election... but don't let little things like facts get in the way of a good rant.

-Mac
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 7

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: