Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex in Edmonton

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Wildrose Alliance win Calgary By Election Reply with quote

If you've been following Ezra Levant on Twitter, you'll no doubt know by now that Paul Hinman and the WAP have won the by election in Calgary-Glenmore. The PC Candidate finished third.

Ezra has a bunch of predictions, including defections to the Wildrose Party (Boutillier and Morton are likely candidates, says Ezra) as well as Stelmach's days officially being numbered. I cannot express how happy I am that true conservatism has returned to the legislature.

Congratulations to Paul Hinman and the entire party.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY VERY VERY good news. Stelmach sucks!
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results...

http://results.elections.ab.ca/12.htm

37% WAP
34% LIB
26% PC

Bye bye Ed
Alex in Edmonton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
VERY VERY VERY good news. Stelmach sucks!

The next few months should be very interesting. Could Guy Boutillier sit with the WAP in the legislature?
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that Albertan voters would elect a Liberal government but I'm sure the next election will result in a minority PC government forced to work in a coalition with the Wildrose Alliance Party.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news! Let's hope the momentum continues!!

-Mac
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was away from the computer till this morning and a little surprised to hear paul hinman actually won that seat in calgary for the wildrose alliance as his previous seat was a very rural area . but yeah the legislature there could use a few more opposition members so its a good thing i guess .
teenagetory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen any polls that might suggest a swing to the WAP? I think that given the state of the Stelmach government, even if most voters hold their noses and vote PC, there would still be a couple of seats in southern Alberta and elsewhere where the WAP could at least establish a beachhead with a handful of seats and expand from there like the PC's did back in the 1970's
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I hope to God Morton becomes the next premier.

Personally I think the PCs should oust Stelmach and put in Morton like they did for Klein.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote Churchill (I think) "Bye elections are like fire on ice, they may burn brightly, but they mean nothing"

Not that I know much about Alberta politics (except that anyone who lives on a lake of oil and runs up a deficit is not fiscal conservative), but I don't see going from an lead of 50 seats (or whatever) to a lead of 49 is going to change anything.
teenagetory

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a huge swing going on right now based on my limited knowledge, but the by-election was important for a few things.
1. The WAP is back in legislature which means they can show Alberta what real Conservatives look like.
2. It proved that the WAP can win in the cities
3. It gives the WAP some momentum, which will help challenge the the Liberals position as the main alternative to the PC's

Personallly I think that the WAP will win a small beachead of a few ridings in Southern Alberta and expand from there, in the same moud as the PC's in 1971
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the WAP elect Smith and Stelmach is still at the helm for the next election the WAP will win. I'll put money on that....
Alex in Edmonton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Very interesting. I hope to God Morton becomes the next premier.

Personally I think the PCs should oust Stelmach and put in Morton like they did for Klein.

My personal opinion is that Morton could be useful within the party but should not lead it. One of the first things that drew me to the WAP was their pledge to stop pitting Edmonton and Calgary against each other. The PC party has made several spending announcements loaded with pork in both Edmonton and Calgary and often they don't make any sense but rather are geared at winning votes in those regions. Often times, they will play on the provincial rivalry between the two cities to win votes in one region at the expense of the other, and it reminds me of the federal Liberals saying nasty things about Alberta to win votes in Toronto and Montreal. Ted Morton has said that Edmonton is "the capital city of Northern Alberta" which is such a divisive thing to say and shouldn't have been made by someone who hoped to become premier... it also flies in the face of something I am drawn to in the WAP. If Morton decides to move over to the WAP I hope he leaves these viewpoints behind.

Edmonton and Calgary are both terrific cities and should work together to promote Alberta as a great province and the economic engine of the country. The rivalries should stay between the Oilers/Flames and the Eskimos/Stampeders, in my humble opinion.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I've met Morton and he is not a personable guy. Smart and conservative yes. But very stiff.
First Lady

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOO HOO... election day was a great night.

And tonight we celebrated my sister-in-law becoming the newest Albertan. !!!

Tomorrow night is the Calgary Leadrship forum.

Too much fun to pack into weekdays.. especially with my left arm in cast and can't type too fast... Grrrrr.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: