Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Things that people do not understand. Reply with quote

In no particular order and not guaranteed to be complete:

Free speech.
Censorship.
Separation of church and state.
Property rights.

I blame "free" public education.

People cry censorship the second anyone perceived as right wing says "shut up", yet the state putting gag orders on people for life is a justifiable limit on free expression. The trolls here cry "censorship" if you tell them to take a hike, not understanding that they do not pay the bills, it is not their board in any way shape or form. People talk about separation of church and state, like it was the state that needed protection from religion.

Seriously, sometimes it feels like I am taking crazy pills. Can no one see that blue steel is exactly the same as magnum?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think people misunderstand any of the items on your list. Instead, I would say there are those who deliberately misinterpret all four as it is necessary to do so in order to achieve their goals.

You could also add:

Free market
Budgetary Surplus
Deficit
Human rights

and that's just off the top of my head.

-Mac
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private sector provided health care.
RedCloudWulf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee do you think?For me personally i was no economics major in school ,but im learning rather swiftly thanks to the net.Sure is better than spreading hatred and lies about other groups in society.Or how about learning a new language online?That is also much more productive.Keeping an eyeball on those we elect while learning about other cultures is what i expected everyone to do when the internet first came online.It hasnt quite worked out that way,but never to late to learn something new.
paisley_cross

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Things that people do not understand. Reply with quote

Not surprising when the MSM preaches the following:

Free speech - only applies to liberal causes.
Censorship - okay to censor conservative views
Separation of church and state - religion is irrelevant since it is based on mythology
Property rights - government has the right to expropriate property
Private health care - right wing plot
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the word "free" is the problem.

"free health care"
"free drugs"
"free bus passes"

Here is better than there because stuff over there is "Free"
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an organisation such as the Canadian Taxpayers Federation would help us a lot with a campaign with advertisements like "The Gun Registry is costing YOU X dollars a year"

Lefties never seem to remember that the lovely program they are advocating for a pet cause costs everyone else money. Multiply that by a thousand and you get the reason why Canadians pay so much in taxes.
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
I think the word "free" is the problem.

"free health care"
"free drugs"
"free bus passes"

Here is better than there because stuff over there is "Free"

And when we think something is "free" we become gluttons forgetting that we are all paying for it.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paisley_cross wrote:

And when we think something is "free" we become gluttons forgetting that we are all paying for it.

I remember watching a Michael Moore film where he gloated about how in France the government will do your laundry- for free. (after showing how medical care was free).
My jaw dropped when the person watching it with me said "wow, isn't that great".
Neither Moore nor the person I was watching it with had a clue it wasn't really free.
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Neither Moore nor the person I was watching it with had a clue it wasn't really free.

I always liken this scenario to a 5 year old throwing a tantrum because his parents won't pay for it. In the 5 year old's mind, it is free because his father can pay with his 'magic credit card'.

Just like there is a disconnect between cost and a credit card in younger children, there is a disconnect in Liberals between "free healthcare" and the billions of dollars more in taxes a year that have to be levied to pay for it.
fiscalconservative

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenagetory wrote:
Quote:

I always liken this scenario to a 5 year old throwing a tantrum because his parents won't pay for it. In the 5 year old's mind, it is free because his father can pay with his 'magic credit card'.

Just like there is a disconnect between cost and a credit card in younger children, there is a disconnect in Liberals between "free healthcare" and the billions of dollars more in taxes a year that have to be levied to pay for it.

Dam, that is a good analogy.
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
paisley_cross wrote:

I remember watching a Michael Moore film where he gloated about how in France the government will do your laundry- for free. (after showing how medical care was free).
My jaw dropped when the person watching it with me said "wow, isn't that great".

"When everyone owns something, nobody owns it" - Milton Friedman

Jump to: