Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoxtrotBravo

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: A "dominant" BBC threatens independent journalism Reply with quote

James Murdock, speaking in the UK about the BBC says the following:

James Murdoch wrote:

To let the state enjoy a near near monopoly of information is to guarantee manipulation and distortion.

He makes this argument as to why the BBC giving away "Free News" is dangerous, and why a state run news agency like the BBC (and by extension our CBC) should not be competing for advertising dollars against private new agencies:

James Murdoch wrote:

There's an inescapable conclusion, the only reliable, dependable, and perpetual guarantor of independence is profit.

Here's the article in its entirety: a worthwhile read which relates closely to the issues here with the CBC.

Murdoch attack on 'dominant' BBC

Where is Canada's James Murdoch? Because we certainly need someone to stand up and take on the CBC. Our private media leaders, who ever they are, seem to be duds or lackeys ... based solely on their invisibility.
bsenka

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not among those who cry out for the complete abolition of the CBC, I do believe that they absolutely must decide if they are either a public broadcaster OR a commercial one. Stop competing with the private broadcasters for both advertising revenue and American programming rights, or have all of your funding revoked. This double dipping is unfair and dishonest to both the private broadcasters and to the taxpayers.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think their mandate should be changed to forbid shows with political commentary - AT THE VERY LEAST. I would prefer to see it privatized. Taxpayers shouldn't be funding a left wing state run propaganda machine.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsenka wrote:
This double dipping is unfair and dishonest to both the private broadcasters and to the taxpayers.

Unfair and dishonest pretty much describes most of the CBC's news broadcasting...

-Mac
paisley_cross

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to a CBC newscast this morning. Every international report (eg, bombing in Pakistan, Afghan election) came from the BBC. Why not just watch BBC World then if one wants news?

TV and radio are pretty well yesterday's media for news. I get virtually all my news from the Internet.

Jump to: