Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: A different kind of invasion plan Reply with quote

... tenatively titled 'Operation Swimmers', perhaps?

Mark Steyn wrote:
The Ultimate Outsourcing

My jaw doesn't often drop, but this story had it heading for the basement:

Thousands of Canadians who are infertile in Canada have to place all their hopes on just 33 men who are Canadian sperm donors.

What? A nation of 30 million people has just 33 sperm donors? Apparently so. Now why would that be?

At one time Canada had two dozen sperm banks but when the Assisted Human Reproduction Act made it illegal to pay for sperm or egg donors they dried up in 2004.

Today there are very few men willing to give up their sperm for nothing.

...With so much sperm coming from the States, some estimate that up to 80 per cent of babies conceived in Canada through donor sperm have American DNA.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting little bit of information...
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A different kind of invasion plan Reply with quote

A court ordered a sperm donor to pay child support. I don't know if it was in Canada or the US, but if it was in Canada, it would explain the low numbers.
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A different kind of invasion plan Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
A court ordered a sperm donor to pay child support. I don't know if it was in Canada or the US, but if it was in Canada, it would explain the low numbers.

I'm pretty sure that was a US case. If you look at Steyn's article, you'll see that donations dropped dramatically once they banned payments for contributions.
Forward

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was US case. But don't worry our judiciary are just as capable of coming up with judgements every bit as absurd as this one.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward wrote:
It was US case. But don't worry our judiciary are just as capable of coming up with judgements every bit as absurd as this one.

I find your response ironic. The judge stuck to the letter of the law. If he didn't grant the support, then it would have been judicial activism. The judge would have invented rights for sperm donors that weren't written into the law :-)

Your right though, the rulling was absurd
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By way of Canadian News Reader, this slightly longer gem from Steyn:

Mark Steyn wrote:
Do you notice anything shriveling?
...At some point we will come to see that the developed world’s massive expansion of personal sexual liberty has provided a useful cover for the shrivelling of almost every other kind. Free speech, property rights, economic liberty and the right to self-defence are under continuous assault by Big Government. But who cares when Big Government lets you shag anything that moves and every city in North America hosts a grand parade to celebrate your right to do so? It’s an oddly reductive notion of individual liberty. The noisier grow the novelties of our ever more banal individualism, the more the overall societal aesthetic seems drearily homogenized—like closing time in a karaoke bar with the last sad drunks bellowing off the prompter “I did it My Way!” ...

Lots of good jokes leading up to it, too.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody told me there'd be days like these
Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama!

-Mac
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there was that legal ruling a while ago that basically entitled children or mothers of children conceived with donated sperm to sue for support. That has to put a damper on things.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never donate my sperm to a sperm bank. I have some problems with this process, and it can lead to an abuse of the system.

Jump to: