Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthernRaven

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: CBC to get rid of THE SIMPSONS Reply with quote

Bad news fellas, the CBC will be getting rid of the supper time hour of the Simpsons. This is significant for those of us you grew up and learned to eat fast at supper so we wouldn't miss a minute of the supper time show.

Instead the CBC will replace the Simpsons with an additional 30 minutes of news starting at 5, the Ghost Whisperer at 4, and Coronation Street moved to 6:30. The change will occur in every region on Aug. 31st. And it is claimed that this cover their $85-million budget shortfall.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/stor.....-news.html

Management at the CBC must be really stupid to NOT make a profit in advertising revenue during The Simpsons. This is a real kick in the nuts.

crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never seen it, don't care.
Forward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter. The Simpsons has been pretty lame for years now. Any show goes stale after a while & The Simpsons "best before" date expired a long time ago.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, they should take all American programing (apart from documentaries) off the air. Anything that get less people watching the CBC is a good thing, IMO.

As for losing the ad revenue, if the CBC figures it can save money by getting rid of it, then that means they weren't making that much revenue from ads during the Simpsons.
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Simpsons need to die, there I said it. The show was great in the 90's, but the quality started to decline after 2000 and I can't even think of a single memorable episode from the past ten years.
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with the fact that The Simpsons has gotten a bit stale, it is still probably one of the better rated tv-shows on CBC, probably far better than the stuff the CBC normally airs. O well, I guess the children will have to watch FOX in the evenings to get their Simpsons re-runs . . . :D
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libertas wrote:
The Simpsons need to die, there I said it. The show was great in the 90's, but the quality started to decline after 2000 and I can't even think of a single memorable episode from the past ten years.

Fox refuses to let the Simpons grow beyond the age they have started. Now here's something new, how about a teenage Bart, can you imagine the havoc? :wink:
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should never have aired it to begin with. It is not in their mandate and it is not why I pay taxes to them.
NorthernRaven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a but surprised by the lack of emotion on this issue. The CBC comments on the story are hilarious and seem to have touched a nerve. I guess I am just one of 'those guys' that grew up watching The Simpsons everyday at 5:30 NT.

In my opinion, it is all right for CBC to air it so long as it turns a profit in its time slot nationally. Which it should, considering the viewership. And for some it is the only over the air daily exposure to The Simpsons, where in many remote communities we don't have full cable. And I still enjoy it because the primarily broadcast Season 2 through 9, the good season. I agree that they need to kill the Simpsons, but surprisingly their new HD episodes are NOT that bad.

On a different note, you all should see the latest episode of King of The Hill, 'Uh-Oh Canada', where a Guelph family house swaps. Lets just say the show acurately portrays Guelphites, in a less than flattering way.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernRaven wrote:
On a different note, you all should see the latest episode of King of The Hill, 'Uh-Oh Canada', where a Guelph family house swaps. Lets just say the show acurately portrays Guelphites, in a less than flattering way.

The Simpsons used to be amusing but after a while, it lost it's appeal for me.

I didn't see that King of The Hill episode yet... Isn't the University of Guelph known as "Moo U"?

-Mac
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad, The Simpsons is a great show.

That being said, I don't think taxpayer money should be used for this type of show. If ad revenues could support this show I'd say keep it, but if it's costing $85 million....
FoxtrotBravo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Too bad, The Simpsons is a great show.

If ad revenues could support this show I'd say keep it, but if it's costing $85 million....

A publicity funded station should not be permitted to compete against non-public stations for advertising revenue. Period. The fact that the CBC does is perverse, and is proof that Canada is at least mildly retarded.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FoxtrotBravo wrote:
A publicity funded station should not be permitted to compete against non-public stations for advertising revenue. Period.

As long as they are making a profit, why not? What is wrong with competition?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
As long as they are making a profit, why not? What is wrong with competition?

It's not truly competition since the CBC has most of it's bills paid by the taxpayers.

-Mac
gc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, as long as they are making a profit on the show...

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: