Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoxtrotBravo

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I meant to type "publicly funded" not "publicity funded".
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of the CBC is not to make money. As with any government program, it's purpose is to provide a service to taxpayers; in this case it has apparently been decided that service is to broadcast Canadian culture. While I enjoy the Simpsons, there are many channels I can watch it on. The same goes for the Ghost Whisperer, American game shows, and British SitComs and drams. The CBC should be forced to comply with it's mandate, and then we can let the ratings determine whether enough Canadians believe the service is worth the expense.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Like I said, as long as they are making a profit on the show...

Please elucidate your position, if you would be so kind. :)

My position is fairly simple: by taking paid advertizing the CBC has an unfair advantage over other media outlets by virtue of being subsidized over $1 billion per year. As a result, any "profit" which they might earn isn't truly profit since an incredible liability is never addressed. Even if the subsidy were forgiven and struck off of the books, the CBC does not make a profit and never will.

CBC supporters believe this unfair advantage is justified by the CBC's mandate to produce Canadian content thereby protecting and encouraging Canadian entertainment and culture. If there was any of evidence of the CBC fulfilling that mandate, such a position might be arguable. Unfortunately, such is not the case. This thread is evidence of exactly of the opposite since the CBC was paying for American entertainment. What Canadian content they do produce appears to be designed for the sole purpose of pushing Liberal talking points.

-Mac
Skinny Dipper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: How about fee for carriage for the CBC? Reply with quote

CTV and Global want cable companies to pay for fee-for-carriage. Why not the CBC?

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: