Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: What's your favourite/least favourite part about BT.ca Reply with quote

As bloggingtories.ca admins, we try to bring you the best political website in Canada. To help us achieve this, tell us your favourite and least favourite features of Bloggingtories.ca so that we can make an optimal product!
Blackstone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen, would you please write a sticky post about what your vision of this forum is?

About BT...
1. Weed out the sites that are no longer active. Some bloggers may be on extended holidays, but they probably posted about it. Inactive sites on a blogroll leave a poor impression.
2. Thinking ahead (to the next election for example), I can see that adversaries will try to discredit BT and all its contributing bloggers. Campaigns to label BT blogs as extremist may deter the general public from visiting. Is there a way to make the blogs more mainstream and not just a phenomenon of obsessive political junkies?
3. Why not try to recruit a graphics designer who is willing to spruce up the site a little? To the junkies, looks don't matter... to the casual viewer they might. If you made an appeal or even a contest on your website, people will participate. Little work for you.
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the site can play a key role in the coming election, possibly as a way to share campaign ideas/updates. Maybe organizing blogs by regions would help. :wink:
LadyofCanada

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to avoid posts about the author going on hiatus, having been on hiatus or posting lightly? Also, does anyone really care if a blogger overhauls their site, changes servers or format? I think those types of posts contribute to an amateurish image of BT. Sorry if feel bads are hurt. :)
PhantomObserver

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, changes in blogging format are important, because sometimes said changes can result in blogposts not appearing in the aggregator page.

Speaking of which, has something gone wrong with my newsfeed?
Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomObserver wrote:
Actually, changes in blogging format are important, because sometimes said changes can result in blogposts not appearing in the aggregator page.

Speaking of which, has something gone wrong with my newsfeed?

Let me look into it.

The new aggregating software that we're using is including many feeds that we couldn't include before... but for some reason a couple of good feeds have dropped out of the aggregator.

It's a constant struggle! :D
McGuire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with blackstone in complaining about the number of inactive bloggers in the blogroll. I understand if people have to go away for a period of time, but ones like Blue Maple Leaf haven't posted since the day of the election 8 months ago. They gotta go.
Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGuire wrote:
I'm with blackstone in complaining about the number of inactive bloggers in the blogroll. I understand if people have to go away for a period of time, but ones like Blue Maple Leaf haven't posted since the day of the election 8 months ago. They gotta go.

We usually cut out the ones that haven't posted in 3 months (unless we know they're coming back).

Sifing through about 300 blogs takes time and I admit it's been a task I've been avoiding for a while.
Albertan Technophile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like almost everything about BT, but I have noticed that the BT rules and SOP aren't posted anywhere. So I do have a question;

What is the basic policy for the BT aggregator? I know I've asked before, but I never got an answer.
McGuire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
McGuire wrote:

We usually cut out the ones that haven't posted in 3 months (unless we know they're coming back).

Sifing through about 300 blogs takes time and I admit it's been a task I've been avoiding for a while.

I understand but ones that haven't posted in 8 months really shouldn't be hanging around.
Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albertan Technophile wrote:
I like almost everything about BT, but I have noticed that the BT rules and SOP aren't posted anywhere. So I do have a question;

What is the basic policy for the BT aggregator? I know I've asked before, but I never got an answer.

We usually like to hold off on adding new members to the aggregator for a couple of months so that we can come to trust your blog and trust that you won't post anything that's embarrassing to the conservative movement. We've had to kick off some blogs that were actually more suitably NDP or liberal and we've had to kick off a couple of blatant racists/sexists in the past. Of course, we believe in free speech... just do it elsewhere if you'renot a conservative or if you're nuts. The delay in aggregator addition is mostly about quality control. Most people write decent blogs. However, some are rather underwhelming.

Also, we tend not to include people that post more than 4 brainless posts per day.

Two line posts commenting on Paris Hilton's virtue, for example, will keep us from adding your blog to the aggregator.

We also like to keep blogs out of the aggregator that take vicious personal shots at other bloggers (flamewar initiators).

We love variety of conservative perspectives though on Blogging Tories... from social conservative to libertarian to neocon to fiscal conservatism. No blogs are discounted for variety of perspective... we're a big tent site.

Our new blogging aggregation software (installed about a week ago) seems like it is capable of handling more feeds than the previous software. Send me an email and I'll see if I can slot you into the aggregator if you're not already in.

Some feeds for some reason still don't register with our software.
Albertan Technophile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you Steven.

I'll fire off an e-mail tonite. Have a look and see if you think I fit in.

Jump to: