Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win the World Series?
Twins
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Mets
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Yankees
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Athletics
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Tigers
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Cardinals
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Phillies
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Padres/Dodgers
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: World Series 2006 :: Who will win it? Reply with quote

I do not know how much interest there would be in this topic, given that the Blue Jays are once again in "wait until next year" mode.

The poll question is straightforward: who will win the World Series this year?

My hope would be for a Minnesota - Mets World Series, and I hope the Twins win it which would replicate the magic of an earlier era when Puckett, Hrbek et al were leading the charge.

The media would like nothing better than a Subway series which, on paper, remains a good possibility.

As of today, only the National League wildcard race is still on. It looks like the Phillies are in a better position, but the Dodgers and the Padres have an easier home stretch. If the Phillies do take it, hats off to (ex-Jay GM) Pat Gillick for jettisoning a bunch of salary (incl. Abreu and Lidle) at the non-waiver trade deadline and still building a winning team.

The American League wildcard spot will be taken by either the Tigers or the Twins, with the other clinching the Central. The White Sox are more or less done.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who really cares about baseball? Overweight, outta shape couch potatoes play in the majors; these are not athletes. More action takes place in a cricket test match than one a baseball game.
cbasu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Couch potatoes Reply with quote

Football has its share of shape-challenged players too. Only professional soccer and hockey can claim lean and trim athletes.

Baseball is a magical game. It is almost a reflection of life itself.

In fact, if one considers the bedrock principles of conservatism - frugality, less government, law and order, more individual liberties - one could reasonably argue that baseball is for conservatives, while hockey is for liberals.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose, but the shape challenged players in football could bench press my car, so I am not going to bad mouth them.
McGuire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the Jays can't be in the playoff i'm glad the Mets, my 2nd favourite team, are. Have been for about 20 years. But the big question mark about them is their pitching. If they have it, they'll win it all.
cbasu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Mets Reply with quote

The Mets in the '86 World Series - a Championship for the ages. Immortalized in Seinfeld - the sitcom for the ages.

Pitching - everybody needs pitching. Do the Mets have it - we'll see.

It is very difficult to judge the pitching quality of National League teams because of the no-DH rule, and because the Mets are playing in an unusually weak (i.e. weak Braves) division this year.

There is no question the Mets have hitting, though. That's one scary lineup.

Jump to: