Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: CFL 2009 Reply with quote

Well, we are two games in, and the Riders are undefeated. Things are looking strange in the West, with both BC and Calgary winless. Montreal is again the class of the East, although admittedly 2 games in is a bit early.

Anyone care to start the prediction wagon rolling? Or should we wait for week 4 or 5, when all the teams would have played a variety of opponents from both the East and West?
Cameron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saskatchewan surprised me against the Lions, not that they won, but that they played pretty poorly as well as the Lions.

I think that BC will likely start to gel soon. My hope is that the loss to Hamilton will get some of the veterans to play up to their potential.

In the East, it'll be interesting to watch Hamilton this week to see if their win was a sign of things to come. Heck - if the season ended today, they'd be in the crossover playoff position in the WSF.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make them the first east team to ever cross over. I think Hamilton is definitely on the way up.

BC, in my honest opinion, they need a coaching change. Buono has been the coach for a long time, he has had success, but now he is at the point where he has taken that team as far as he can. I think both he and the players need a fresh start.

That Trestman guy, he sure has Montreal firing on all cylinders. I am going to the Rider game this weekend. I am hoping that it is one of the all time great Saskatchewan victories. I know it is early in the season, but you never want to mail one in against a likely Grey Cup contender.
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can narrow it down to 8 teams that could win the Grey Cup....

....never been a fan of the CFL but I'm a huge NFL fan. I even played university football. I just never could get into watching Canadian football.

Third string NFL QB's play for the CFL...
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Calgary may have snapped out of their funk, BC too. Too bad, as a Rider fan it would have been nice to see those division rivals struggle a bit more.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a third of the season is behind us. I think at this point, everybody has a pretty good idea of what each team has going for it, and what they need to fix. I will start in the west, with the team that is obviously in the most trouble, BC.

The Lions need something. They have quality QBs, good receivers, good rushing. It seems their run defense needs shoring up, but other than that it is hard to pin down why they only have one win. They should be better, and I am beginning to suspect that there is something going on, maybe bad chemistry in the locker room or something.

Edmonton looked shaky early on, but seem to have pulled together lately. This team is scary, they will only get better as the season goes on.

Calgary is good, but they will not repeat. I still cannot believe that they let JoJuan Armour go, maybe he is the problem in BC?

Saskatchewan has a lot of new personnel this yer. They are young, and like Edmonton can only improve. I predict it will be Edmonton and Saskatchewan battling to come out of the west this year. Don't know how they will replace Scott Schultz, but they seem to have all the depth they need lately to overcome any injury or absence.

Winnipeg could go either way. They are not committing to developing players, QB is an excellent example. Bishop will not be given a proper chance, unless he plays pretty much perfect football, and then they will be on to the next QB, again, before the season is out. This year is a write off for the Bombers.

Toronto is also in a bit of trouble. They are having some roster churn, some public friction between the players and the coach. They will finish third in the east.

Hamilton, all that I can say about them is that this looks like the year before their year. They have youth and talent, and a coach willing to give them time to develop. They will be facing Montreal in the east final this year.

Montreal will again be the team coming out of the east this year, but I think their veteran core is too old. As the season wears on, players like Calvillo and Cahoun will be wearing down. They simply have no other quarterback in Montreal, and even if they did, he would be getting no reps. The future is not looking very bright for Montreal. In games like the Saskatchewan rout, they need to get there backup some quality playing time. Other wise when Calvillo retires or gets injured, they have nothing.

So there you have it, my prediction is that either Edmonton or Saskatchewan comes out of the west, and whoever comes out of the west is going to beat Montreal for the cup.

Next year, if Hamilton can keep its roster intact, they win the cup. My predictions are like gold 50% of the time, so you can take this to the bank.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be really interesting, and I don't know why this stat is not available, is to see a game by game graph of a QB's rating. Clearly Darian Durant is progressing and improving, but it is not really clear how much.

Exactly how is quarterback rating calculated anyway?
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My predictions for tonight are a Toronto win, and a Saskatchewan win.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Quinton Porter, I am sold on him. In a few years, he will be putting up Dave Dickenson like passing numbers. We may even see some 158.3 passer rating games from him, I think he is that good.

Of course, he does have a multitude of people to throw too.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are approaching the halfway point of the season. Saskatchewan and Edmonton both are showing steady improvement. Calgary and BC, not so much. Hamilton is a lock for second place in the east; if they continue bringing Porter a long, they may even take first away from Montreal. Toronto and Winnipeg are both having write off years, although Toronto at least seems to have a defense, while Winnipeg has nothing at all.

To me it looks like Edmonton is starting to hit their stride right now, going forward, they will be increasingly difficult to beat as they start playing more consistently. Saskatchewan needs to start playing more consistently as well, lots of rookies this year, new defensive coordinator, the Montreal game on Saturday will show how far they have come as a unit.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Winnipeg absolutely blew up BC. Is Winnipeg actually getting their offensive problems solved, or was this an aberration? Saskatchewan showed some improvement, but they are still having too many turnovers, and problems in the second half. Is it a conditioning problem or something? Are the players on the Sask roster simply incapable of playing two complete halves of football?
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 9 games down, 9 games to go. Montreal is showing their fatal flaw; they have no upside. They started the season as good as they were ever going to be all season, while all the other teams had to break in rookies and new coaches. Hamilton just might take first place in the east this year.

Durant is showing improvement, as are both the offense and defense in Sask. Likewise BC, and Calgary seems to be returning to form. Winnipeg is in tough against an improving Rider's squad this weekend, and though it seems certain the Bombers have a lock on third, the crossover from the West will take their spot.

Toronto is just awful, but then again, Hamilton is the new power in the east judging by the steady improvements they are making on both sides of the ball.

The teams to really watch will be the ones who manage to take both games of the Labour Day home and homes. BC might do it, Hamilton will probably do it, Riders might do it, Calgary probably cannot.
thurmas

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully my bombers catch a break and BC doen't take the crossover so they make the playoffs. I just wished we had a decent qb, but at least we have a good D and a great running game.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering why the Bombers picked Bishop over Printers. If you are going to parachute a QB in, why not take the younger one with more upside?

For a quarter there on Labor Day, I feared the good Bishop had shown up to play. Turned out it was the bad one who finished the game though.
thurmas

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coach kelly gave printers a workout in june but wasn't impressed also rumour has it printers is a real cancer in the dressing room, coach kelly needs to relinquish his offensive cordinator job and just focus as head coach.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Jump to: