Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 4 of 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cosmostein





Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 7436
Reputation: 297.4
votes: 21
Location: The World

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willg wrote:
I guess the fact that the Liberals still need to bring up Harris' name despite themselves being in power for six years means that they have nothing to run on.


Considering the state of the Province now, and being a "Have Not" Province under the Liberals I am not sure if Harris looks all that bad in hindsight.
Mattman





Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 42
Reputation: 23.4Reputation: 23.4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Willg wrote:
I guess the fact that the Liberals still need to bring up Harris' name despite themselves being in power for six years means that they have nothing to run on.


Considering the state of the Province now, and being a "Have Not" Province under the Liberals I am not sure if Harris looks all that bad in hindsight.


I thought Ontario wasn't a net recipient of equalization.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Considering the state of the Province now, and being a "Have Not" Province under the Liberals I am not sure if Harris looks all that bad in hindsight.

Considering the amount of time, energy and resources the Liberals and other leftards have spent trying (with some success) to convince the residents of Ontario (and anyone else who'll listen) that Mike Harris is the veritable Incarnation of Evil, including blaming every scrap of debt in the past decade on him... it's pretty safe to assume the Harris-bashing is about to reach new heights and will be sustained until the new election.

There are a couple of ways to deal with this... for instance, Harris is very articulate so Hudak could give him free reign to speak about whenever his reputation was attacked.

-Mac
Willg





Joined: 19 Oct 2008
Posts: 361
Reputation: 96Reputation: 96
Location: 905

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
Considering the state of the Province now, and being a "Have Not" Province under the Liberals I am not sure if Harris looks all that bad in hindsight.

Considering the amount of time, energy and resources the Liberals and other leftards have spent trying (with some success) to convince the residents of Ontario (and anyone else who'll listen) that Mike Harris is the veritable Incarnation of Evil, including blaming every scrap of debt in the past decade on him... it's pretty safe to assume the Harris-bashing is about to reach new heights and will be sustained until the new election.

There are a couple of ways to deal with this... for instance, Harris is very articulate so Hudak could give him free reign to speak about whenever his reputation was attacked.

-Mac


Well we already know they've started. There were Liberal plants at the convention handing out anti-Hudak buttons linking him to Harris and all that stuff. Coincidentally or not, the Liberal plant was giving out the buttons at a Klees' function, which may have been intentional on their part because of the tension between Klees and Hudak during the leadership campaign. Their hope may have been that people would have thought it was Klees' campaign handing this stuff out and thus causing further tensions.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willg wrote:
Well we already know they've started. There were Liberal plants at the convention handing out anti-Hudak buttons linking him to Harris and all that stuff. Coincidentally or not, the Liberal plant was giving out the buttons at a Klees' function, which may have been intentional on their part because of the tension between Klees and Hudak during the leadership campaign. Their hope may have been that people would have thought it was Klees' campaign handing this stuff out and thus causing further tensions.

I know I'm not particularly politically correct so I have to ask...if they were recognized or acknowledged as being Liberal plants, why didn't someone ask them to cease and desist? Tossing them out by the scruff of the neck optional, of course...

-Mac
Willg





Joined: 19 Oct 2008
Posts: 361
Reputation: 96Reputation: 96
Location: 905

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was early in the day and I didn't put two and two together.
Mac





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 5500
Reputation: 104
votes: 35
Location: John Baird's riding...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willg wrote:
It was early in the day and I didn't put two and two together.

Even if they weren't Liberal plants, it's a pretty sad state of affairs when people are using negative campaigning during a leadership race and no-one objects.

-Mac
FF_Canuck





Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 3360
Reputation: 73.4
votes: 17
Location: Southern Alberta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Ontario! Glad to see that your experience with STV ballots for leadership went so much better that ours (Stelmach never ranked first in counts, and won through the accumulation of second choice votes). I had hoped for a stronger showing from Hillier, but at least he captured enough support that his message can't be ignored.

The support for Klees was surprising, considering that his campaign seemed practically non-existent. Perhaps he was the familiar name to long-term members? My uncle moved from Ontario over 30 years ago, and Klees was the only name he recognized when we were discussing the results this weekend.
cosmostein





Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 7436
Reputation: 297.4
votes: 21
Location: The World

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattman wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
Willg wrote:
I guess the fact that the Liberals still need to bring up Harris' name despite themselves being in power for six years means that they have nothing to run on.


Considering the state of the Province now, and being a "Have Not" Province under the Liberals I am not sure if Harris looks all that bad in hindsight.


I thought Ontario wasn't a net recipient of equalization.


As of April 1st I thought?


http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Po.....6-sun.html
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is being linked to Harris a bad thing? As I recall, he was the most successful premier that I have seen during my lifetime (so far). I would shout it loud and proud from the rooftops. Who do you think people would rather have right now, mayor Miller/McGuinty or Harris? I bet you right about a now a common sense revolution at either level of government would have a some strong legs underneath it.
cosmostein





Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 7436
Reputation: 297.4
votes: 21
Location: The World

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Why is being linked to Harris a bad thing? As I recall, he was the most successful premier that I have seen during my lifetime (so far). I would shout it loud and proud from the rooftops. Who do you think people would rather have right now, mayor Miller/McGuinty or Harris? I bet you right about a now a common sense revolution at either level of government would have a some strong legs underneath it.


Damn Right,
Which is why I was glad that Hudak unlike some of the others running embraced the fact that he was a Conservative, and carted Harris on stage at every opportunity.
kwlafayette





Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 6155
Reputation: 156.2Reputation: 156.2
votes: 28
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping that Brad Wall turns out even better than Mike Harris, and that the next premier after Wall is better than Wall. I am not however, holding my breath.
905 Tory





Joined: 05 Mar 2009
Posts: 267
Reputation: 79.4Reputation: 79.4
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris was a good leader and brought a golden age for Ontario for a few years. I understand some of his policies brought forward problems but that was expected after Bob Rae and David Peterson. All I hope is that if Hudak isn't elected in the next election, they stick with him for the election after that as well and not abandon him--he's young and eventually his policies will catch on, especially with a free-spending government now in place. Even Harris lost in his first election as leader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 4 of 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Ontario Progressive Conservative Leadership Results

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB