Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: A different kind of holiday cruise Reply with quote

I almost feel bad for laughing about this. I guess I'm a bad person.

Avanova wrote:
Luxury ocean liners in Russia are offering pirate hunting cruises aboard armed private yachts off the Somali coast.

Wealthy punters pay 3,500 per day to patrol the most dangerous waters in the world hoping to be attacked by raiders.

When attacked, they retaliate with grenade launchers, machine guns and rocket launchers, reports Austrian business paper Wirtschaftsblatt...

LINK.Originally linked at SDA.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it!
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there has been rather a weak reaction from governments worldwide. You have to expect that someone, somewhere would be unsatisfied with that. I do not expect many pirates to fall prey, they are after the big game, not tiny yachts that would probably be worth only a million at most. They want the ships with half a billion in cargo on them.

Another option is that the pirates see the news, and they all swarm the first boat together, to send a message. But that would require someone with authority and organization that I do not think they have. That would be more of a full on organized crime move.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's pretty much just the Indian Navy that is actively hunting down and destroying pirate vessels - most of the rest seem to be focused on defensive / reactive patrolling. I'm not certain, but I believe Spain is one of the only 1st world nations to authorize the storing of small arms on private ships.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if small arms were allowed, the sailors probably would not want them. Pirates don't execute the crews, so it is a relatively risk free thing for them to be captured and wait for ransom. The reason piracy is working is because they are going about it in pretty much the perfect way. All they want is money, with as little blood shed as possible. Sailors know they won't get killed, owners know it is a straight up deal, and they are generally left alone except for some minor chases here and there. Even if they are caught, they are generally released because it is difficult to prosecute them for crimes in international waters.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates realize their lifestyle is fraught with danger but it's also highly profitable. If the danger went up or the profits went down, they would move back to kidnapping tourists.

-Mac

Jump to: