Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Will Harper step down this summer? Reply with quote

The Liberals are planning a fall election for certain. Once parliament is out for the summer it would make sense IF Harper plans to step down for him to do it then so that a new leader can be in place in time for the expected election. What do you think? I'm going out on a limb here but I'll predict an announcement within two weeks.
905 Tory

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stepping down now would be disastrous for the party in my opinion. There isn't enough time for a leadership campaign to select the next prime minister. Frankly, I don't even know how a leadership campaign could go through in a minority parliament in this day and age (I know Pearson did it but that was a different time with a leftist government in power). And don't get this wrong, a leadership campaign HAS to take place--none of this anointing stuff.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - probably right - not enough time to do it properly...
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Craig, are you saying you'd like to see him step aside? What would that accomplish? The opposition would just use that as a REASON to call an election.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Harper 50 years old. Why would he quit the best job in the world(as he's been quoted)?
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In last month's Reader's Digest, they have an article based on a poll they commissioned asking about "TRUST" and only one political leader in Canada scored in the top 10... PMSH. Jumping Jack Layton was the lowest of the leaders... he scored lower than Justin Trudeau!!

It's going to be hard for Count Iggy or any of the other leaders to spew the "Scary Harper" meme now... Mr. Harper isn't going anywhere.

-Mac
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
So Craig, are you saying you'd like to see him step aside? What would that accomplish? The opposition would just use that as a REASON to call an election.

Nope - I heard a rumour that we WANTED to step down. IF that is true then I'm wondering about the timing...
DavidK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well IF that is true and HE wants to, I can't say I blame him, but for the sake of the party, for the sake of not having the Left use this again'st us. "He gave up because he knew he screwed up!" I don't want that kinda thing. But I like Harper. THe man is the best PM we've had in years, so I hope he stays around.
NorthernRaven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks to be a redundant thread as we already discussed this issue during in the "Post Harper CPC" thread.

As I said in that thead there is no way in hell that Harper is leaving, and frankly Craig please provide a source for that rumor because frankly it is unfounded.

I said before he won't go because:
Quote:
HM PM Harper is a young (50 years old) fightin politician. There are 2 important milestones which I expect Harper would stay in power for:

1) Harper can finally appoint a majority of CPC Senators by November 2010, or sooner by August 25th if a crisis presents itself, such that he can ask the Queen to appoint 8 Senators. Once he has his Senators, then sentate reform, immigration, crime, and other non-monetary legislation will NOT be block by the unelected Senate, even if a minority continues in the House of Commons.

2) The 2nd important event would be to stick around till the 2014, 31 seat redistribution, which will allocate 5 new seats in BC and Alberta, and 21 seats in Ontario, all of which will occur in populated areas that are predominantly CPC voting (even in the 905). This redistribution will make more likely that a majority can be won without any seats from Quebec.

So unless Harper has a caucus revolt, I don't see him leaving anytime soon.

So lets please be a little more professional about these threads when presenting rumors, that you do either bring some evidence or common knowledge to the issue of discussion.
cbasu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Will Harper step down this summer? Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
The Liberals are planning a fall election for certain. Once parliament is out for the summer it would make sense IF Harper plans to step down for him to do it then so that a new leader can be in place in time for the expected election. What do you think? I'm going out on a limb here but I'll predict an announcement within two weeks.

Assuming you don't have inside information, Craig, I'd say this is very doubtful. Harper doesn't come across as a person who would step away from a fight. In fact, he seems to be the kind of person who constantly looks for ways to get into fights.

I am baffled, though, as to why he agreed to the deal yesterday. Effectively, he has given Ignatieff an additional three months to get organized, raise money, and spend more time in BC and Quebec where the Liberals don't yet have the comfortable lead they do in Ontario and in the Maritimes.

I'm not sure how this helps the Conservatives, who now enjoy a clear logistical advantage. I don't think anybody expects the economy to turn around in two months; if anything, it could get worse.

And I agree with you. I think the next election will be in the first week of November. I don't think there is any doubt about that now, which makes the prospect of replacing leaders even more difficult to contemplate.
plantguy

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he does leave I think it's completely understandable. I think that he realizes that is unlikely he will get a majority in the next election and the current stalement will continue. The idea that he may never get to implement the policies that drove him into politics inthe first place must be very discouraging.
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would look really bad. It sends a message that he himself doesn't think he is doing a good enough job on the economy and that he's afraid to go up against Iggy in an election.

We all know that Harper wouldn't ever want to go down like that. There's no way he steps down. He'll go down fighting if anything.

Even if some in the party WANTS him to step down. He won't.

Remember his advice to John Tory when he was being ousted from within. He told him to stick it out.

Harper will take his own advice if that's the case.
NorthernRaven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By delaying a possible election Harper does gain a few things:

1) Since EI needs reforming this is a good opportunity and perhaps by reducing the eligability regional standards from 50 to about 10 to 20 regions, probably would be a sensible idea. If that and voluntary self-employeed poeple can pay into EI, then that is a pretty damn good deal for Harper, as he didn't have to break the bank anymore with Ignatieff. And lets not forget that there is some policies that the CPC and Liberals can and should find common ground on.

2) If an election is called in October, then up till the Liberals Opposition day there will be 9 more Senate Vacancies, which after filling those 9, the Conservatives and the old PC members of the Senate would have a majority in the Senate, necessating the ability to pass real legislation, and insuring that the Senate doesn't get filled by Liberals should they gain givernment.

3) In the fall or later this summer there will be at least three byelections in:
- Colchester, NS - Ind Bill Casey's Seat
- Rivier-Du-Loup, Quebec - BQ Paul Crete's seat
- New Westminster-Coquitlam - NDP Dawn Black's seat
All three will be close, expect to seat a possible win in Colchester and New West by the Conservatives. Either way it would be an interesting test to see if Michael Ignatieff can improve the Liberal vote outside of the Tor-Mon-Van, and how the NDP will do to keep its seat in New West, or attempt to win in Colchester. Not to mention one would expect Elizabeth May to run in Casey's seat, so it could be a very interesting byelection. But if the Conservatives win any of those seats, it may retard the Liberals from pulling the plug so soon in the fall.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't really see this happening . think this showdown and EI deal was a big win for harper as he prevented an unecessary election no one wanted by siting down and talking to the opposiiton leader .
and in doing so he also avoided becoming another joe clark who was not able to keep his minority alive .

i'd say the 3 by-elections are the next test for harper and the opposition as well , for the conservatives since none are currently conservative if they can win back 2 or 1 of them it be some positive news .
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthernRaven wrote:
So lets please be a little more professional about these threads when presenting rumors, that you do either bring some evidence or common knowledge to the issue of discussion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a political forum for people to express their opinions on political issues and that is exactly what Craig did. I don't always agree with Craig's opinions, but he has every right to express them.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: