Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthernRaven

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qc,

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a political forum for people to express their opinions on political issues and that is exactly what Craig did. I don't always agree with Craig's opinions, but he has every right to express them.

I don't disagree with that, but my suggestion is that we try to do our best when expressing opinion to present evidence to rumors.

Re-reading some of the comments, Craig's initial post was more a theoretical question and postulation, which later he brought up the rumor. SO in this context then this is an interesting postulation exercise, but I was wondering if Craig or someone else could further substantiate the Harper leaving rumor, because it appears to be non-existant.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Harper wants to step down,
Then the day after Parliament goes out for the summer would be the day to do it, then we would need a quick leadership review and convention.

However, I don't see it.
I suspect Harper will be the leader till the Liberals take power, or he wins a majority and then will step down two years into his term.
NorthernRaven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to remind you guys, when Rick Mercer visited Harper at 24 Sussex:

Link

At 0:59, Mercer makes the assumption that Harper will be in his 11th term as Prime Minister, to make sure Canada reaches its 2050 Greenhouse Gas reductions.
905 Tory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking out on Saturday or anytime soon would be disastrous to his legacy and the short-term prospects of the CPC. We're in the middle of a recession and he hightails it? The Liberals would bring down the government and form a majority in the next election asap. He hasn't even finished four years and he runs away? The only way for Harper to go out now in the near future is if he loses an election. That way we can hold a real leadership race over the course of 8 months or something with debates, forums, and grassroots revival. If Harper is looking for another way out, he better way until at least summer of 2010. That way he can say that he finished four years and he isn't keen on people holding to political office too long like Chretien. Also, by then, the recession will have at least plateaued and we (the world) would be on the (long) road to recovery
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Harper would step down after three years.

I don't see any immediate successor to Harper that could resonate with Canadians. As well I can't see Harper wanting to step down when he still feels he can contribute to Canadian politics. Keep in mind he's still fairly young.

What's needed now is fresh policy ideas, not a leadership race.
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Harper step down this summer? Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
The Liberals are planning a fall election for certain. Once parliament is out for the summer it would make sense IF Harper plans to step down for him to do it then so that a new leader can be in place in time for the expected election. What do you think? I'm going out on a limb here but I'll predict an announcement within two weeks.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: