Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

which Ontario PC Leadership Candidate is the most electable in Ontario
Tim Hudak
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
Christine Elliott
31%
 31%  [ 7 ]
Frank Klees
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Randy Hillier
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 22

RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Which Ont PC leadership Cand is most electable Reply with quote

Though this be an interesting poll and as the leadership race is nearing its end although far from over yet , we maybe have a better idea on the 4 candidates running and can answer this one now .

So was going to focus this question and poll on electability and which one of the 4 do you think is the most electable against Dalton Mcguinty and the liberals on a province wide scale not just in one region .
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Elliot's flat tax but I can't stand her position on the OHRC. I can understand the fact that it's a minor issue, but I can't the feeling if she's not willing to take on that because of her fear of liberal blow back, then what else is she afraid of doing?
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with Christine Elliot as being the most electable.
Steve

Reputation: 35.3Reputation: 35.3Reputation: 35.3Reputation: 35.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hudak. He's the only candidate actually focused on the real opponent -- Dalton McGuinty.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libertas wrote:
I'd go with Christine Elliot as being the most electable.

Why? Because she's a woman? Because as far as I can tell, that's the only real card she'd be able to play IF she becomes leader. Christine is a John Tory Redux pure and simple. The party post-Harris (love him or hate him) moved to the centre, and then Tory took it that extra mile until he made himself unelectable.

The party doesn't need another lefty at the helm, IMO. Most of all we don't need someone that's going to use the gender card to fall back on. That's the sort of thing that Obama plays on, or his supporters, in large numbers in response to actual issues with the man and his policies. I can't stand it, and if Elliott is elected, I'm ripping up my membership and not helping the PCs until they axe her as they did John Tory.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all have factors that can affect their electability:

Elliot: married to Flaherty

Hudak: can be labelled `Harris Jr` since he was in the Harris cabinet

Klees: in the last leadership run he endorsed two-tier health care

Hillier: seen as a radical, arrested a few years back during an OLA demonstration
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn`t say that Elliot is a lefty. How many lefties endorse a flat tax?

If the only thing that you`re basing this on is her opinion on HRCs; I would say that her opinion is the politically smart one.

The Libs would use the HRCs big time to smack us down just like they did with religious schools.

We need to make McGuinty the issue of the election, not our own proposals.
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why? Because she's a woman? Because as far as I can tell, that's the only real card she'd be able to play IF she becomes leader. Christine is a John Tory Redux pure and simple. The party post-Harris (love him or hate him) moved to the centre, and then Tory took it that extra mile until he made himself unelectable.

The question was who was the most electable. But I don't see many "lefties" arguing for a flat tax, or for that matter most of the economic policies she is currently advocating.
CPP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libertas wrote:
Quote:

The question was who was the most electable. But I don't see many "lefties" arguing for a flat tax, or for that matter most of the economic policies she is currently advocating.

My money is on Tim Whodat. Mikeys backing of Tim is all I need.

Lets bring back 'the common sense revolution.'
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezbeatz wrote:
I liked Elliot's flat tax but I can't stand her position on the OHRC. I can understand the fact that it's a minor issue, but I can't the feeling if she's not willing to take on that because of her fear of liberal blow back, then what else is she afraid of doing?

i actually think her position and Klees on the OHRC is the most electable , as i think its becoming clear allready the public is uninterested in the commissions and that issue is unlikely to gain us many votes during a recession when voters are concerned about the economy instead . its more likely to be an issue that could be used once again to harm us and potentially give the liberals another free pass they don't deserve .
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
They all have factors that can affect their electability:

Elliot: married to Flaherty

Hudak: can be labelled `Harris Jr` since he was in the Harris cabinet

Klees: in the last leadership run he endorsed two-tier health care

Hillier: seen as a radical, arrested a few years back during an OLA demonstration

as all have been involved in politics for a while its maybe no surpise each has some history .
but canadians have shown a willingness to move on so maybe some of it isn't that important or be an issue in next vote . my thoughs on each on them

Hillier - has some rural popularity but lacks urban appeal or will they understand where he is coming from , just don't see him connecting with them and not sure anyone really see's him as a leader in the sense .

Klees - is some history there , has a fairly clean past though , nothing that jumps out at me , he just needs to stay away from some issues he got involved with before like the schools issue .

Hudak - could see the harris endorsement becoming an issue , he may also come across as inexperienced in the leaders role .

Elliott - i agree the flaherty thing is a potential problem , she also has the problem of being seen as similar to John Tory although tory himself wasn't the reason they lost last election it was the faith based school disaster , if not for that tory might of done well that election , but either way the red tory label is a problem for some , maybe more a problem with conservatives than the public in general though .
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
i actually think her position and Klees on the OHRC is the most electable , as i think its becoming clear allready the public is uninterested in the commissions and that issue is unlikely to gain us many votes during a recession when voters are concerned about the economy instead . its more likely to be an issue that could be used once again to harm us and potentially give the liberals another free pass they don't deserve .

I don't believe we should focus our election campaign on the OHRC but I don't want a leader who thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and should be kept alive. Therein lies my problem with Christine Elliot.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPP wrote:

That`s part of the problem for me. What else is he running on besides `Harris likes me`?

A few days ago I got a postcard from him and the only info it contained was a picture of him and two quotes from Harris endorsing him.

Remember, Harris also endorsed Belinda for leader...
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
CPP wrote:

That`s part of the problem for me. What else is he running on besides `Harris likes me`?

A few days ago I got a postcard from him and the only info it contained was a picture of him and two quotes from Harris endorsing him.

Remember, Harris also endorsed Belinda for leader...

It's not Harris' fault that she did what she did. I'm sure she took many Conservatives by surprise when she sold her soul to Martin.

And Harris did many good things, I think that's what a lot of PCs try to focus on with the man. I know a lot like to point out the bad, and that's fair in that it's factual. But it's not really fair in that he didn't just do badly.
Take2

Reputation: 7.8Reputation: 7.8Reputation: 7.8Reputation: 7.8Reputation: 7.8Reputation: 7.8Reputation: 7.8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Hillier has my support now with his plan to get ontario moving.
Specifically, repealing Bill-41which was passed by the Lieberals after having accepted the bribes of those within the OTA who helped fund the lieberals in the last election

And his promise of doing away with the ridiculous OHRC.

If Hillier's downside is urban voters not knowing what he stands for, then it's our job to make them understand why he's exactly what the province needs and the best man for the job

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: