Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: An odd question... Reply with quote

...apropos of nothing, I'm doing a little bit of research into what I'd term a 'movement' of sorts, that seems to be defined mostly by nigh-zealotry in the name of organic farming and 'alternative' health, and a little bit of 'big pharma' conspiracy theorizing, as well as the belief that cancer is a vitamin deficiency syndrome (ie it can be cured / prevent by consuming sufficient quantities of Vitamin B). There seem to be some tenuous religious undertones as well - fringe protestant, by the looks of it... anybody know what kind of terms I should be searching with, or any places I could look? Is there any tradition of Christianity that seems awfully focused on organic farming and alternative health?
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, Christian Science originally started out with a strong emphasis on alternative healing.
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: An odd question... Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
...apropos of nothing, I'm doing a little bit of research into what I'd term a 'movement' of sorts, that seems to be defined mostly by nigh-zealotry in the name of organic farming and 'alternative' health, and a little bit of 'big pharma' conspiracy theorizing, as well as the belief that cancer is a vitamin deficiency syndrome (ie it can be cured / prevent by consuming sufficient quantities of Vitamin B). There seem to be some tenuous religious undertones as well - fringe protestant, by the looks of it... anybody know what kind of terms I should be searching with, or any places I could look? Is there any tradition of Christianity that seems awfully focused on organic farming and alternative health?

I have never heard of anything like that but interesting question. I'll be curious to know what you find.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey FF,

Sorry I didn't see this, but I have been super busy so I don't have much BT time these days.

I'm not sure if I am even on the right track but I do know that Latter day Saints are required to stock at least one years worth of food for the lean times. They even have their own canning facilities that their parishioners can use at cut rate, you can even buy the contents like rices, flours, dried eggs, (Oh you get the picture I'm, sure) bulk prices for their mostly organic food stuffs.

There is a distrust of NGO's seeds as they are Sterile and they are not a sufficient investment for a future food source for the family. It is also known that the NGO's are not as tasty, nutritious nor delicious as the non frankenfoods.

Folks wouldn't be caught dead with anything short of full fledged Heirloom or heritage seeds period.
Closer to original state of food the way "the Lord' Intended it to be, nutritional and tasty.

As for the Holistic medicine connection? I haven't come across it in my research, but it doesn't mean it isn't there, I wasn't looking for it. If you are preparing for a possible financial meltdown you need to be able to provide medicinally to. ( Mind you this crises is not the reason for this Philosophy, they have been charged to do it for generations I do believe, no Johnny come lately for the LDS.)

Not sure if this was at all helpful, but this is all I have stumbled upon in my research with a religious connection.

Good luck and if you do find them I would be veeeery interested to know anything about it,

Thanks,

C.M.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that a lot of the hippy communes in the 60s were influenced by Christianity.
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input thus far! I'd never thought of looking at the LDS, but it does make sense, crazymamma. I was aware of their prediliction towards food storage, but wasn't aware of the organic bent of it. It's a good place to start - but the vibes I'm getting are more pentacostal-ish? Come to think of it, I've got an old buddy whom is a Baptist Pastor, I should ask him about it...
crazymamma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened with this FF?

Did you find any info associated with your query?
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got anywhere, no. I ended up getting some other projects that are more time sensitive on my plate... If I do hear anything, I'll be sure to update.
AutumnFalls

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bounce off of what crazymamma said, and to contradict her slightly, while there is a great emphasis on preparation - including gardening and food storage, there isn't a great emphasis on organics. There are certainly many LDS who are very pro-organic, but that is not by church law, simply their own convictions. I'm not sure if there is a correlation between the two, but it is not mandatory to go organic or anything of the sort. Perhaps the available foods through LDS church services are mainly organic because the people selling it (individuals not church) are pro organics so it is more a coincidental thing?
crazymamma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutumnFalls wrote:
To bounce off of what crazymamma said, and to contradict her slightly, while there is a great emphasis on preparation - including gardening and food storage, there isn't a great emphasis on organics. There are certainly many LDS who are very pro-organic, but that is not by church law, simply their own convictions. I'm not sure if there is a correlation between the two, but it is not mandatory to go organic or anything of the sort. Perhaps the available foods through LDS church services are mainly organic because the people selling it (individuals not church) are pro organics so it is more a coincidental thing?

Thank you for clarifying the point.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something one time, it was some research, about how people were very bad at assessing actual risks to themselves. People ascribed very high dangers and risks to things like pesticide residue, GM food, when there was in reality far less risk. This probably has a lot to do with what you are talking about. At the same time, real risks were completely ignored, or discounted by the people involved.
crazymamma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I read something one time, it was some research, about how people were very bad at assessing actual risks to themselves. People ascribed very high dangers and risks to things like pesticide residue, GM food, when there was in reality far less risk. This probably has a lot to do with what you are talking about. At the same time, real risks were completely ignored, or discounted by the people involved.

K I think the no Gm seeds has to do with that GM seeds are notorious for being either sterile or will not produce the same fruits/veggies as the parent plant. You just never know what your are going to get.

The point is to have independence, be more self reliant when it comes to what you feed your family. Heritage seeds can be saved yearly, lower cost, assured end product year after year and less reliant on "big agro" to feed your family.

Win win I'd think.
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

Entirely possible. I think you might be talking about a few books by Dan Gardner ? I read reviews of his work and some references to it and some of it is very interesting.

Jump to: