Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Quebec's ADQ fast tracks race to replace Mario Dumont Reply with quote

Quebec's ADQ fast tracks race to replace ex-leader Mario Dumont

QUEBEC - The Action democratique du Quebec will fast track the race to find a successor to former leader Mario Dumont.

Delegates attending the provincial party's general council this weekend approved a motion expediting the date the party chooses its new leader.

The voting will now take place October 18 instead of February 2010, which was previously scheduled.

Dumont quit politics in March after the ADQ slipped from official Opposition status back to third place in the legislature.

There are now three candidates in the running for Dumont's former job, including Gilles Taillon, Dumont's one-time second-in-command and the presumed front-runner.

The two other contenders are Eric Caire, a member of the national assembly, and former member Christian Levesque.

Other leadership hopefuls have until the August 18 to enter the race.

One possible fourth candidate is MNA Gerald Deltell.

The former journalist is under pressure to run but says he hasn't yet decided to throw his hat into the ring.

A byelection in Dumont's riding of Riviere-du-Loup is scheduled for June 22.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Po.....66-cp.html
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somehow i'm not sure where the ADQ is going , they had there chance back in 2007 and almost won , now without Mario Dumont i'm not sure i see them going far . there also likely to lose his old seat to the PQ as a former longtime bloc mp is running in the by-election.

i'm not sure what it will take for a party like the ADQ to have success in quebec again , a new leader might help but doubt its the magic cure .
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the last election, I think the ADQ is basically toast! IIRC, the party has Mario Dumont in its' proper name, so when he quits, what is left??

I have lived close (within approx 20 km) of the Quebec-Ontario border for most of my life, and Quebec provincial , and even federal!, politics are a mystery to me. It is almost like traveling to another planet whenever I go there, and that has nothing to do with language......
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't rule the ADQ out. There's a fairly solid 20-30% conservative electorate in Quebec. The PLQ will take a hit next election and I'm not sure how enthusiastic Quebecers are for the PQ. The Ontario PC's don't have many more MPs than the ADQ and nobody is ruling them out in Ontario.
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezbeatz wrote:
There's a fairly solid 20-30% conservative electorate in Quebec.

Quebec politics are not that simple ...... conservative doesn't automatically mean ADQ supporter.

Quote:
The PLQ will take a hit next election and I'm not sure how enthusiastic Quebecers are for the PQ.

People have been counting out the PQ (and BLOC Federally) for many years, and yet they still remain, even though their purpose isn't always clear.

Quote:
The Ontario PC's don't have many more MPs than the ADQ and nobody is ruling them out in Ontario.

Huh? IIRC, the ADQ went from 39 down to 7 seats in the last provincial election. The ONPC certainly has more than that, and they have a much longer history than the ADQ.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Dumont is the ADQ,
Say what you will about the guy but he has charisma and plays well to the Quebec political theater.

The difference between say the Progressive Conservatives in Ontario and the ADQ in Quebec is that the PC party is bigger then its leader, I am not sure if I can say the same about the ADQ and Mario Dumont.
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be unfortunate if the ADQ dies.
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADQ sees leadership race as key to success
Party must keep its distance from Harper Conservatives, strive to be distinct force in province, delegates told

Gilles Taillon to run for ADQ leadership
ADQ leadership race begins to take shape
Article Comments Rhéal Séguin

Quebec — Tuesday, Jun. 02, 2009 03:19AM EDT

The Action démocratique du Québec party predicts it will rebound from its crushing defeat by using its leadership race to return as a right-wing force in Quebec politics distinct from the federal Conservative Party.

More than 400 party delegates voted yesterday to speed up the election of a party leader to replace ADQ co-founder Mario Dumont who stepped down after a disappointing third-place showing in last December's vote.

Mr. Dumont's successor will be elected on Oct. 18, four months earlier than originally planned. The party is at a crossroads and needs to rebuild its credibility if it wants to avoid the political hinterlands, according to many delegates.

The party's former House leader, Stéphane Proulx, warned against moving too quickly in choosing a leader if the party lacks the resources to mount a “national” leadership race. The ADQ still carries a small debt and is reported to have 12,000 members.

“We don't have the necessary membership for a national leadership race. We don't have enough money to organize a national leadership race,” Mr. Proulx told the delegates. “We must build; and I'll go even further and say we must rebuild our party. We are a bit like Rocky. We've fallen twice. If we want to get up again we have to be in good shape to win the fight. This isn't fiction, it's reality.” The party isn't electing a class president, he reminded the delegates, but someone who must show they can become the premier of all Quebeckers.

Front-runner Gilles Taillon supported the move for an earlier vote. However, he also warned that a successful campaign is vital to the party's survival.

“Don't buy the coffin too early. We are still alive,” Mr. Taillon told the cheering the delegates yesterday.

He later told reporters that the leadership race will constitute a decisive moment in re-establishing the party as a force to be reckoned with.

“It's a question of life or death. If the ADQ is unable to get through this race by building a solid party, the future will certainly be difficult,” Mr. Taillon said.

The leadership candidates emphasized that the ADQ must keep its distance from the Stephen Harper Conservatives and underscored the importance of having a completely separate party. “As an autonomous party the ADQ cannot afford to become a branch plant of the federal Conservatives,” Mr. Taillon said.

Conservative Senator Léo Housakos, an ADQ fundraiser, has been reportedly searching for a candidate who could form strong ties between the federal Tories and the ADQ.

“If Mr. Housakos wants to get involved and back a candidate, that's his right,” said leadership candidate Éric Caire, one of the party's six members of the National Assembly, who remains close to the Tories. “I'm for building coalitions [with the Conservatives] on certain issues, but a merger is out of the question.”

The members insisted on the need to build a strong organization that could bring back the 700,000 voters who abandoned the ADQ last December, after supporting them in the March of 2007 election that left Jean Charest's Liberals with the province's first minority government in more than a decade.

Despite all the attention placed on Mr. Dumont and the leadership candidates at the weekend party meeting, the man who stole the limelight was party MNA Gérard Deltell, whose picture was splashed on the front pages of Quebec City newspapers yesterday.

A political neophyte and former television journalist, Mr. Deltell was elected for the first time in December. He came under enormous pressure over the weekend to throw his hat into the ring for the leadership. Many members consider Mr. Deltell an ideal communicator, comparing him to Mr. Dumont, with a style and a newcomer's enthusiasm that could help rejuvenate the party.

Party members believe that the rival Parti Québécois may give the ADQ the boost it needs to build momentum among voters when PQ Leader Pauline Marois unveils her strategy on promoting sovereignty, emphasizing greater political autonomy for Quebec.

By stealing one of the ADQ's main elements of its platform, voters will prefer the real thing rather than an imitation, one party member said.

“There's only one autonomous party in Quebec and that's the ADQ,” Mr. Taillon told the delegates.

Speaking on behalf of what he called the “silent majority,” party president Mario Charpentier said that being autonomous also makes it appealing to right-of-centre Quebeckers seeking an alternative to the Liberals and the PQ.

“They want less government and more freedom of choice,” Mr. Charpentier said, predicting that the ADQ will form a government within 10 years.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....le1162192/
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
The party's former House leader, Stéphane Proulx, warned against moving too quickly in choosing a leader if the party lacks the resources to mount a “national” leadership race. The ADQ still carries a small debt and is reported to have 12,000 members.

That just illustrates how disastrous John Tory was for the OPC in Ontario. With twice population, the OPC membership was under 9,000, less then that of the ADQ.

Jump to: