Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Another piece of rubish from Michael Den Tandt Reply with quote

Iggy trigger finger
But Liberals should not take down the Tories and go to polls ... yet

By MICHAEL DEN TANDT

Last Updated: 29th May 2009, 2:29am

After three years in purgatory the Liberal party is again beginning to scent the mouth-watering aroma of power. A reversal is in the wind just as it was in the winter of 2005. Conservatives themselves can sense it, just as Liberals could then.

Does this mean we'll be headed to the polls in June or July? If Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff is anywhere near as smart as he is purported to be, the answer is no.

The Conservatives, believing it's just going to get worse for them from here, may try to provoke an election next month. Ignatieff will wait. He'll play for time.

Everywhere now Stephen Harper's forces look to be in retreat. In Ontario there's a growing sense, even among his supporters, that he's ditched core principles and lost his way.

In Quebec it's a spiral dive, brought on by last year's cuts to arts funding and the abortive attack on "the separatists."

In the West small-c conservatives will be flabbergasted and disappointed by Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's $50 billion deficit.

They're thinking now, if not saying: It looks like Mulroney all over again. Isn't this why we created the Reform Party in the first place, to curb runaway federal spending?

The Maritimes were never Harper's to begin with. B.C. is a wash.

Michael Ignatieff, who has a hawkish and tough-minded side, appeals to as many rural small-c conservatives as he does liberals. But he also appeals to left-leaning urbanites, on the strength of his credentials as an author. There's a gathering perception, reflected in every recent poll, that he's probably up to the job of being prime minister.

Underlying all this, or perhaps superseding it, is the recession.

BEWARE DOWNTURN

There is no antidote to the curse of holding power at the onset of a severe downturn. Former U.S. president George Herbert Walker Bush discovered this in 1992 when he won a war but then was summarily booted from office. The Progressive Conservative rout in Canada in 1993 was not just about Brian Mulroney. There was recession fatigue as well.

Taken together this leaves us with four scenarios: Conservative majority, impossible. Conservative minority, possible but increasingly unlikely. Liberal minority, likely. Liberal majority, increasingly possible.

Which begs the question: Why would Ignatieff not want to go in June?

First, the Liberals are just now figuring out how to use their shiny new vote-tracking software system, purchased from Barack Obama's presidential campaign. They'll want to have that solidly in place and campaign operatives trained to use it, before going into battle.

The Liberals remain under-funded and under-organized. Last year they raised $6 million, compared with $21 million for the Conservatives.

Liberal riding associations are under instructions from HQ, according to Liberal party sources, to have candidates in place by June. That indicates a preference for an October vote, or possibly even January or February 2010.

Finally, time is on Ignatieff's side. The recession will grind on for a while yet. Tactically it makes little sense for the Liberals to precipitate an election now, even though Ignatieff might well win a minority, because he'd then have to begin wearing the recession himself.

With a minority he might find himself at the polls again within eight months, with the effects of the downturn still upon us.

It makes more sense for him to wait, as Harper's boat continues to take on water. Then strike decisively for a majority, at a time nearer the recession's end. Increasingly that looks like late this year or early next.

MICHAEL.DENTANDT@SUNMEDIA.CA

http://www.torontosun.com/comm.....6-sun.html

( this guy has to be just about the worse columist the sun has ever had , everything he writes is so obvivously anti - harper and anti-conservative ,this colum from him is an absolute piece of rubish , i'd critise what he had to say piece by piece if i had time , he even tries to claim that a liberal majority is increasingly likely , did someone forget to tell him they only have 77 seats and polling 33 % in latest poll but of course to the media the truth doesn't matter . but its clear from reading this piece that he's nothing but an avid liberal in disguise by writing for the sun )
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I was just discovered this guy last week and was giving him a chance.

He had a good article on what to do with child murderers which made me think he was right-wing.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Hm, I was just discovered this guy last week and was giving him a chance.

He had a good article on what to do with child murderers which made me think he was right-wing.

he's been at that paper for a little while not sure exactly how long but in the last year or so i'd say he's gone pretty ant-harper , negative towards the conservatives and somewhat liberal and definity more in recent months . i'm assuming he was always a liberal from the start , i really doubt he was ever conservative as nothing about his politics has lead me to believe that .
Skinny Dipper

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Den Tandt may or may not be a conservative; he may or may not be a liberal.

Michael Den Tandt is a good columnist who I don't think gives a crap if people think he is a conservative or liberal.

While it could be beneficial if the Liberals want choose to have an election now. I don't think either the NDP or Bloc will agree. I think the Liberals can afford to wait until next year. This way, they can build up their campaign funds. Also, several MPs will receive their six-year pin and become eligible for a pension.

The only way Canadians will go to the polls this summer is if Harper asks the Governor-General to dissolve Parliament and call an election. She will likely agree since she agreed to prorogue Parliament last winter upon Harper's request.

Jump to: