Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Klees to reduce PST if Elected Reply with quote

From his facebook status:

"Given the opportunity to lead this province as its premier, there is no choice for a Progressive Conservative government then to reduce the PST so that the harm done by this tax will in fact be alleviated"
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read about this in an article somewhere else , although he doesn't yet know by how much he'd like to reduce it by . it seems like they've excepted the fact the HST is coming and here to stay and the only way to reduce the burden is to lower the PST portion .
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was mentioned in one of the articles on the debate. All four candidates are said to be opposed to the HST, but none indicated they would reverse it if elected in 2011. Klees promised an immediate reduction to the PST, but there is no specific commitment mentioned. Hillier pledged to reduce the PST gradually to 5%, but no timeframe was given.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally they're talking some sense.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer to see other taxes reduce. For example, if the PST is now going to apply to gas prices, I'd like to see the excise tax eliminated.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
i read about this in an article somewhere else , although he doesn't yet know by how much he'd like to reduce it by . it seems like they've excepted the fact the HST is coming and here to stay and the only way to reduce the burden is to lower the PST portion .

Ontario is getting a large chunk of cash from the feds to do this. If they eliminated it, they would have to pay back the cash.

On its own, the HST makes a lot of sense. You can save money for business (which has been pushing for this) and government. What makes it bad is that the Liberals are trying to turn it into a cash cow. I think any new leader should pledge to make it revenue neutral through cuts to the PST or other tax cuts.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
On its own, the HST makes a lot of sense. You can save money for business (which has been pushing for this) and government. What makes it bad is that the Liberals are trying to turn it into a cash cow. I think any new leader should pledge to make it revenue neutral through cuts to the PST or other tax cuts.

Agreed. The situation is much like the introduction of the GST in many respects.
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
On its own, the HST makes a lot of sense. You can save money for business (which has been pushing for this) and government.

Indeed, which is why conservatives had been supportive of the idea essentially right up until the Liberals put it in the latest budget. It is businesses that create jobs, and such a move would make it easier for them to do so. Now suddenly it has become something that is bad, evil, a "tax grab" and should be opposed. :?

Quote:
What makes it bad is that the Liberals are trying to turn it into a cash cow.

Agreed. I believe that it was mentioned in the media that real estate sales alone would generate hundreds of millions of dollars annually for provincial coffers.

Quote:
I think any new leader should pledge to make it revenue neutral through cuts to the PST or other tax cuts.

That is exactly what the leadership candidates should be doing instead of carrying on with this foolishness of trying to stop the HST (or DST). Something that is good policy when we advocate it shouldn't suddenly become bad policy just because the opposition introduces it. It would be more productive to hammer away at the timing of the introduction and the fact that the PST wasn't being reduced. Hell, hammer away at the Liberals for turning their back on the low incomes earners / disadvantaged in society because a consumption tax without any offsets will be harder on them than anyone else. Just stop following polls on issues!

Jump to: