Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Torn on the Ontario Progressive Conservative Race... Reply with quote

Is it just me or have the last few weeks just tossed a wrench into everyones mindset as to who they are considering voting for in the leadership race?

I was having a tough time wrapping my head around how to rank the candidates on my ballot after Hudak, now I am having a tough time even ranking Hudak in my top two.

Anyone else done a 180 in the last few weeks?
905 Tory

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hudak was overrated from the get-go. I heard he couldn't raise any money. Right now, I'd rather have Elliot than him, if you ask me with the whole flat tax thingy. For me, I'd be pretty disappointed if Hudak won since he has under-delivered during this campaign. Imagine an actual election campaign against an experienced Liberal war-room. He'd be crushed like McGuinty in '99 and Tory in '07.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Hillier's policies the best but he's the least likely to get elected in a general election. Klees is on the bottom. He doesn't even rank. Elliot impressed me with her 8% flat tax but that's the only policy from her so far that I really like. I have some reservations about Elliot though. The Star endorsed her and she sent out that endorsement to PC members like it was a badge of honor. I don't know if she's a blue or red Tory. Hudak was first initially but like Klees, his policies haven't really attracted me. His stance on eliminating the HRC's was good but it seemed to only come about as a response to Hillier. Can't say for sure. Got to wait to see where more policies come into play and the leadership debate.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

905 Tory wrote:
I think Hudak was overrated from the get-go. I heard he couldn't raise any money. Right now, I'd rather have Elliot than him, if you ask me with the whole flat tax thingy. For me, I'd be pretty disappointed if Hudak won since he has under-delivered during this campaign. Imagine an actual election campaign against an experienced Liberal war-room. He'd be crushed like McGuinty in '99 and Tory in '07.

I heard Hudak raised more than Elliot but that most of it hasn't been counted yet. That's only what I heard so I don't know if it's true or not. I share your opinion that Hudak has underperformed so far.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on that Cosmo. I thought I knew who I was voting for but with so many great ideas coming forward; flat tax, scrap the OHRC, bring back the spring bear hunt ect ect.

I am impressed with 3 of the candidates and feel a revival coming of Conservatism in Ontario, but I have not been able to make a clear decision on who to vote for.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuralandRight wrote:

and feel a revival coming of Conservatism in Ontario,

Ain't it nice to have good options LOL
KarlBaldauf

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, there's a good slate of candidates - each representing broad coalitions of support within our party's membership.

For his part, Hudak has been the most aggressive in going after McGuinty on the harmonized sales tax. It's that kind of issue that will resonate on a campaign because everyday voters can see how the failed policies of the government are nickel and diming them to death (just ask the Nova Scotia Liberals of the 90s). This, and policies like his excellence in education position, have been getting province-wide coverage with the real potential to attract attention under the micro-scope of an election campaign. Not to mention, appeal to the latent conservative sensibilities of everyday Ontarians.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m going for Elliot mostly due to the flat tax and her plan to get the party ready for an election.

As others have said, Hudak is unimpressive, Hillier is a great guy with great policies but I can`t see him becoming Premier. For some reason I`ve never liked Klees. He comes off as too slick for me.

Was Elliot actually endorsed by the Star? I recall seeing an editorial of their saying that it will be interesting to see how McGuinty performs against two female opposition leaders but I don`t recall an actual endorsement.
RuralandRight

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a strike against Elliot in my books.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will withhold judgement until after the debates. The campaign is only half over, now the work to keep those members in your base, and make sure they vote has begun.
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuralandRight wrote:
This is a strike against Elliot in my books.

As much as many of us would like to eliminate the HRC's outright, Elliott does raise a valid point that the Liberal / NDP spin machine would have a field day with this. I would like to see what exactly she proposes before passing judgement. At least she did better than Klees with his official position of repealing Section 13, which is part of the Federal legislation and not that of Ontario. That makes him and his team look very bad and amateurish IMHO.
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that Hudak has been tremendously underwhelming in his campaign to date. Initially I thought I would be backing him, especially after Harris endorsed him, but his policies have been disappointing. His "plan to fight the recession" is bizarre when you consider that the next election will not be until 2011. The lunancy of the "Stop the HST" campaign is a prime example of disappointing. It was not long before that our party was supportive of the idea, but now that McGuinty has brought it in we are now opposed???? There is NO chance of stopping the HST! And now Klees has seen a poll and jumped on that bandwagon too.... :? What they should have done was hammer away at the poor timing of bringing in the HST and the fact that we should knock a point or two off the PST portion so that it isn't an outright tax grab. If he fights a leadership contest on the basis of polls without any sense of a plan it leads me to conclude he would be a disaster as Premier. Because of my great disappointment in him, he is placed LAST in my order ..... behind even Klees, because much more was expected of the frontrunner.

Despite the fact that Hillier has been painted by the media as essentially an uncouth, radical right-wing loon, I was impressed with his policy announcements. As well, he has been a surprisingly good public speaker from what I have seen. I remain concerned about his electability as leader because of the media-driven perception of him. The fact that the other contenders are actually responding to his announcements (by choice or necessity) is also something to note. While I do not think he will win, I want to show my support for his policy ideas and directions by moving him up in my order to #2 unless something drastically changes.

So obviously that leaves Elliott so far at #1 in my books. The flat tax & the path to victory plan which seems to stress the importance of the grassroots for policy development and a comittment to using technology to involve the membership (something very lacking to date from the party) are the main things I like.

That being said, nothing is carved in stone and things can still change depending on what happens in the next few weeks.
NorthernRaven

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have yet to investigate further, but I have NOT heard her say she would get rid of the HRC's, or significantly reform them, Russ Campbell has Mrs. Elliot in saying that "that a proposal to scrap the Human Rights Tribunal is controversial and could hurt the party in the next provincial election."

http://russ-campbell.blogspot......ott-0.html

As far as I am concerned, having meet Mr. Hillier, he is the most forthright and brings forward the most Conservative and LIBERTARIAN policies. I don't care to bend towards the Red Tory crowd, as there are the establishment that us grassrooters despite, so I am voting for Randy Hillier. We all know his platforms, he is the most consistent in abolishing the HRC's, opening Alcohal competition, and reducing useless regulation for rural property and business.

The other three are slick professional politicians who will take a stand on whatever YOU want to hear, and they do NOT appear to be that consistent.[/url]
ezbeatz

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
RuralandRight

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary shite ... The days of Ontario's free market economy are coming to an end :shock:

"The days of Government quietly presiding over the gradual evolution of the economy are behind us" ... comrades
- Dalton McComrade Csar of Ontaristan

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: