Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Ontario PC party ranks swell Reply with quote

PC party ranks swell
Membership tops 40,000

By ANTONELLA ARTUSO, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 16th May 2009, 3:41am

Ontario Conservative party brass are predicting an exciting leadership contest after candidates signed up more than 30,000 new members.

Christine Hogarth, executive director of the Ontario PCs, said the party's membership now stands at more than 40,000, up from 8,500 at the beginning of the race.

Hogarth refused to divulge how many members were signed up by each of the four candidates. "All I can say is it's going to be a horse race," she said. "Which makes it very exciting for the party, I think."

Former party leader John Tory resigned his position in March.

Niagara-area politician Tim Hudak -- who enjoys the support of more caucus members, federal MPs and riding association presidents than any of his rivals -- was deemed to be the front-runner early in the race.

His rivals include Christine Elliott, a Whitby lawyer who is married to federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, rural activist Randy Hillier from eastern Ontario, and veteran politician Frank Klees of Newmarket-Aurora, who's making a second bid for the party crown.

The party will vote for a new leader on June 21 and June 25, using ballots that will ask voters to rank the candidates in order of preference. Ballot boxes will be sealed and sent to the convention, taking place June 26-28, to be counted.

http://www.torontosun.com/news.....1-sun.html
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see for sure.
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its good to see the membership geting back up there again , its somewhat hard to believe that such a once mighty party managed to sink so low . like if you had told me that back in 2003 before that election i wouldn't of belived that this is where the party was headed , maybe some back then though there might be a minority or the liberals might win a term but i don't think any of us though that some sort of liberal dynasty at the provincial level was brewing or that dalton mcguinty would ever become this popular and entrenched in the premiers role .
eves took the 2003 election for granted and for that we have paid a heavy price .
SFrank85

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
its good to see the membership geting back up there again , its somewhat hard to believe that such a once mighty party managed to sink so low . like if you had told me that back in 2003 before that election i wouldn't of belived that this is where the party was headed , maybe some back then though there might be a minority or the liberals might win a term but i don't think any of us though that some sort of liberal dynasty at the provincial level was brewing or that dalton mcguinty would ever become this popular and entrenched in the premiers role .
eves took the 2003 election for granted and for that we have paid a heavy price .

I was shocked to see the party in such a horrible state as well. I guess nearly 7 years of Red Tory rule at the leadership of the party has hurt the party.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the beginning of the leadership race the membership of my riding a was just 3!

After Tory everybody just gave up.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
RCO wrote:

I was shocked to see the party in such a horrible state as well. I guess nearly 7 years of Red Tory rule at the leadership of the party has hurt the party.

well i also think being out of power hurt them , as the pc party had previously been in power alot so much of its support and donations were because of that and once that ceased to exist so did alot of the support .

and tory wasn't able to create an opposition that excited people or seem to find any issues to run with after the 07 election loss .
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
At the beginning of the leadership race the membership of my riding a was just 3!

Are you sure? I thought it was 6,000 or something. Anyways, I bought my membership the day John Tory resigned.
SFrank85

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:

My PCPO Riding Association was just 26 before the race.
snapper123

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Media, LOL!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snapper123 wrote:
Sun Media, LOL!

You're three-for-three, snapper123... Do you intend to keep making nothing but insulting remarks or were you planning to start lecturing us about how wise, inclusive and wonderful the left is?

-Mac
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This simply underlines what we have been discussing for months.

Tory did not command the support of the base of the party, and with that said I am somewhat impressed he was able to get as much support as he did in the last election with much of the base allowing memberships to lapse and sitting on their hands come election day and campaign time.

What is very interesting about this race is that I would have no issue with three of the four candidates winning, and it seems many on this board would be content with any of the four and that is a pretty strong statement in terms of holding the base together leading us into 2011.

Jump to: