Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RCO





Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 6282
Reputation: 229.1
votes: 3
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Veteran Alberta cabinet minister Ron Stevens resigns Reply with quote

Veteran Alberta cabinet minister resigns to 'pursue other career options'

By THE CANADIAN PRESS


EDMONTON - Ron Stevens is leaving his post as Alberta's deputy premier, a move that has been rumoured for months.

The Calgary lawyer is expected to be appointed a judge next week, but so far no one is willing to confirm the appointment, including Stevens.

His resignation was announced in a four-paragraph news release Friday afternoon from Premier Ed Stelmach. A spokesman said Stelmach would offer no further comment until after the long weekend.

The release says Stevens resigned "to pursue other career options."

Stevens and his spokesman did not return phone calls Friday, and several people close to the departing cabinet minister were also unavailable.

Stevens has held several cabinet portfolios since he was first elected in 1997, including justice and gaming. Most recently he served as minister of international and intergovernmental relations.

His resignation is effective immediately and he is also stepping down as the elected member for Calgary-Glenmore.

The departure leaves the Progressive Conservatives with 71 of Alberta's 83 seats. The Liberals have nine members and the New Democrats hold two seats. Stelmach has six months to call a byelection.

Stevens has been rumoured for months to be headed for the judiciary. He was recently in Ottawa where such appointments are often discussed.

Paul Stanway, the premier's communications director, said an announcement will be made next week. But Stanway would not confirm that the former cabinet minister will be appointed as a judge.

"There's nothing sinister going on with this resignation," said Stanway. "It will all become clear next week."

In Friday's release, Stelmach offered words of praise for his departing cabinet veteran.

"Ron has been a good friend and stalwart colleague, and I have greatly valued his sound advice and solid judgment," said the premier.

"As an MLA and minister he has worked tirelessly on behalf of his province, his city and his constituents."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Po.....31-cp.html
NorthernRaven





Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 160
Reputation: 22.8Reputation: 22.8
votes: 2
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Calgary Glenmore Reply with quote

SO that means there will have to be a byelection in Calgary Glenmore, so the question is, is it time for the Wildrose Alliance to get back in the Legislature?

And should Danielle Smith run in that riding? As she may be one of the candidates to run for the Wildrose Alliance leadership. And Danielle hails from Calgary.

But it would be an interesting byelection, as the Liberal Candidate got 33-35 % of the vote in the last electionm about 4300 votes in the last two election. Certainly it would be a good riding for Danielle Smith to run, because the PC vote has dropped from 9600 to 6000 since 2001, and the Wildrose Alliance run by Ryan Sadler got 1000 from 500 votes since 04. Just wondering if this would be a good play?
hatrock





Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 489
Reputation: 73

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. But not until the party merges with other right-side parties and changes its name. Then it will be taken more seriously and could recruit more credible local candidates.
ezbeatz





Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 1140
Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10
Location: Vaughan, ON

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they could call themselves the Conservative Party of Alberta. That would piss off the PCs to no end.
hatrock





Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 489
Reputation: 73

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezbeatz wrote:
Maybe they could call themselves the Conservative Party of Alberta. That would piss off the PCs to no end.


Yep! Or they adopt the name of an existing party when it merges... The Alberta Party.
Travis Chase





Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 3
Reputation: 3.6Reputation: 3.6Reputation: 3.6

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first time poster long time lurker.

Hatrock, I have noticed a theme to your posts that have really been bugging me and I want to dispel the myths.

First of all the Alberta Party only has around 12 members, they are a minuscule coffee club. Mergers have been tried with them by us and many other parties since the 80's the executive won't budge, and trust me they got some pretty sweet offers to merge.

As for Social Credit, if you read their policies they are not a right wing party anymore, they jettisoned fiscal conservatism years ago. They are actively promoting major Douglas Monetary Theories, Once again mergers have been tried and failed since the 80's their are very few active people in that party.

Everyone of value has come into the Wildrose Alliance from those parties. The Alberta and Social Credit party's are pretty much just maintaining registration.

After that, no other parties exist, This is as good as its going to get.
hatrock





Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Posts: 489
Reputation: 73

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis,

Interesting ...

And that's what's gets me about the whole, "hey, I'm not happy with the status quo, so I'll just create another party", or "coffee club" as you perhaps rightly call it, instead of trying to take over an existing party and building from there. I'm not sure what's easier or harder, but one is closer to immediate power than the other. This is why I respect Ted Morton and what he's doing.

I'm very dissatisfied with the PC party of Alberta as regards losing their libertarian streak. I know MLAs and people working for them and they know my view (and agree with them!).

Anyway, I'm also dissatisfied with all the parties I wish that had a more libertarian-conservative bent. It's really too bad when the Wildrose and Alliance parties got together they didn't spend a bit more time in picking a better name than a convoluted, unmarketable title.

It reminds me of how so many people in a convention hall didn't see that "Canadian Reform Alliance Conservative" had an acronym of CRAP. And I know A LOT of the same people that were involved federal then are involved provincial with this now. Yikes!

So there's a bit of a bad "group think" with this "group".

I WISH there was a better alternative on the right. Heck, if the Alberta Liberals were smart, they'd move to the right of the PCs, and that would be enough for me. "Lower taxes, curb spending, fair royalties, smart environmental policy, and SAVE FOR THE FUTURE." The PCs squandered the Heritage Trust Fund to pay off small debt, and they're ransacking it now for short-term gain.

Anyway, I hope Monte Solberg comes forward and leads.
First Lady





Joined: 04 Nov 2007
Posts: 103
Reputation: 32.9Reputation: 32.9Reputation: 32.9

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatrock wrote:
instead of trying to take over an existing party and building from there. I'm not sure what's easier or harder, but one is closer to immediate power than the other.


Bruce Hutton did a successful take over of the Alberta First Party and changed the name to the Separation Party of Alberta in 2004; but really has not grown since then.

There was a very unsuccessful attempt to take over the Alberta Party within the past 2 years. As I understand it those involved had to resort to legal action resulting in a lot of burned bridges and unhappy people.

Quote:
This is why I respect Ted Morton and what he's doing.


What would that be? He is completely stiffled. Like all the other right leaning MLA's, they no longer have a voice in the Leg.

Quote:
It's really too bad when the Wildrose and Alliance parties got together they didn't spend a bit more time in picking a better name than a convoluted, unmarketable title.


It was a shotgun wedding, without a doubt. We started late in Nov 07 and it was done in less than 60 days. The Alliance policies stayed intact, we took their Bylaws. And we settled on substituting the "Alberta" in our name to "Wildrose".

As we grow, more and more people seem to like the name.

Quote:
I WISH there was a better alternative on the right.


So what is holding you back from supporting the WAP? From the sounds of it, it is simply the name you take issue with.
Entropy Johnson





Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Reputation: 2.9Reputation: 2.9

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatrock wrote:
Travis,

Interesting ...

And that's what's gets me about the whole, "hey, I'm not happy with the status quo, so I'll just create another party", or "coffee club" as you perhaps rightly call it, instead of trying to take over an existing party and building from there. I'm not sure what's easier or harder, but one is closer to immediate power than the other. This is why I respect Ted Morton and what he's doing.

I'm very dissatisfied with the PC party of Alberta as regards losing their libertarian streak. I know MLAs and people working for them and they know my view (and agree with them!).

Anyway, I'm also dissatisfied with all the parties I wish that had a more libertarian-conservative bent. It's really too bad when the Wildrose and Alliance parties got together they didn't spend a bit more time in picking a better name than a convoluted, unmarketable title.

It reminds me of how so many people in a convention hall didn't see that "Canadian Reform Alliance Conservative" had an acronym of CRAP. And I know A LOT of the same people that were involved federal then are involved provincial with this now. Yikes!

So there's a bit of a bad "group think" with this "group".

I WISH there was a better alternative on the right. Heck, if the Alberta Liberals were smart, they'd move to the right of the PCs, and that would be enough for me. "Lower taxes, curb spending, fair royalties, smart environmental policy, and SAVE FOR THE FUTURE." The PCs squandered the Heritage Trust Fund to pay off small debt, and they're ransacking it now for short-term gain.

Anyway, I hope Monte Solberg comes forward and leads.


Your fascinating.

You want a different alternative, different name, and a leader that hasn't kept his tinder dry. Solberg has shown he can be a part of something that sells out its base by being a part of Harper's Conservative's. Morton same with the PC's.

I'm not saying you have to like Hinman, or Danielle Smith, etc. But as admirable and amazing as both of these Morton and Solberg would be as a leader, they have their records, their tinder is no longer dry, they have to be happy with how far they have gotten, because they can't, and shouldn't, go much further.
RedBull





Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Posts: 28
Reputation: 10.8
Location: Hamilton, ON

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatrock wrote:
ezbeatz wrote:
Maybe they could call themselves the Conservative Party of Alberta. That would piss off the PCs to no end.


Yep! Or they adopt the name of an existing party when it merges... The Alberta Party.


Bloc Alberta ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1

  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum


Veteran Alberta cabinet minister Ron Stevens resigns

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB