Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zephyr

Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tax on fat people? How about a tax on stupid people?

Government coffers would be overwhelmed!
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephyr wrote:
A tax on fat people? How about a tax on stupid people?

Government coffers would be overwhelmed!

Can't argue with that. Every point below 100 on the IQ test is a percentage income tax :)

Politicians would be the highest taxed Canadians.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
You are a brave man to tackle such a monumental task.

The line between brave and foolhardy can be blurred.

One of my beefs with libertarianism is the tendency to polarize everything (guilty of it myself by times) so something as simple as seat belt laws and light bulb bans become all-consuming. Slippery slope arguments defy logic and history.

-Mac
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Ah, Mark Steyn. He just seems to get it, and he always says it so much better than I do.

Powerful article. Thanks for posting the link.

-Mac
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
light bulb bans become all-consuming. Slippery slope arguments defy logic and history.

Especially when one starts falsely accusing people of advocating those bans.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:
The fact is that you support things like light bulb bans, which increase the power of government.

I'll ask you again - please provide ONE link where I advocate a light bulb ban. You won't be able to. And even if you could - who gives a crap - a lightbulb ban indicates that I'm a Nazi or warrants a suggestion that I "always" advocate for larger and more intrusive government - why the exageration???

Quote:
why don't you just explain how a fat person tax would help shrink government down and increase liberty and freedom.

A fat person tax was suggested in jest. But if I were to seriously consider a fat person tax I would replace an existing tax and ensure that government revenues didn't increase - that is how it wouldn't increase the size of government and while it would become more intrusive in some ways it would be less intrusive in other ways.

And in terms of me going into a rage because you "questioned me". If you "questioned me" in a disrespectful manner than I will respond in kind - and you did...

Quote:
Well, you have to stop suggesting insane tax reforms. Maybe, just one time, you could suggest something that does not increase the power and size of government. Maybe just once, you could maybe think of something that gives government less influence and power. Look in the mirror.

You could have been polite about it. I have advocated for lower taxes. I've even spoken out in favor of your flat tax. But I'm not a libertarian.
What about the gas guzzler tax? What about government paying people to ditch old cars? You support many initiatives that increase government; increasing government decreases liberty. People who are interested can go searching for the posts.
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
What about the gas guzzler tax?

I don't believe I've ever stated support for this.

Quote:
What about government paying people to ditch old cars?

Never stated any support for this. Here is the thread. Read it...

http://www.bloggingtories.ca/f.....hp?p=69612

Quote:
You support many initiatives that increase government; increasing government decreases liberty.

You keep saying this but can't substantiate it. I do support some regulations like seat belt laws but I hardly think that warrants the kind of exageration you made. It certainly doesn't make me a fan of government just because I think they have a valid role in our society.

I do support consumption taxes over income taxes. Don't you?

Listen - I apologize for getting overly defensive on this. I'm quick to anger and know that it is something I need to work on.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

Jump to: