Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we should tax fat people. I'm just having fun here. Came across the Toronto Star article and found it amusing...
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a meat tax...tax these health issues at the source - eat too much of it and pay... :lol:
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should bring back the Chinese head tax, and every other race tax for that matter! :wink:
don muntean

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
Maybe we should bring back the Chinese head tax, and every other race tax for that matter! :wink:

Huh? Ouch... :roll:
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don muntean wrote:
How about a meat tax...tax these health issues at the source - eat too much of it and pay... :lol:

Hey easy now ... some of our livelihoods rely on the three basic food groups ... Beef, Pork, and Chicken.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:

Ummm :?
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another idea somewhat related.....

Everyone born in the year 2000 or later RELINQUISH their rights to free healthcare if they SMOKE. An education program should be put in place so that all youth know full well, the consequences of smoking (both health-wise, AND financially...)

Tough to prove in some cases but in others it is quite obvious.

Smokers put a major strain on our healthcare system.
don muntean

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuralandRight wrote:
don muntean wrote:

Hey easy now ... some of our livelihoods rely on the three basic food groups ... Beef, Pork, and Chicken.

That's ok there are so many other things most of these farmers could produce.

Just look how good veggie meat meals are - these are all made with soy based meats - very tasty and very healthy - no obesity and heart disease eating these [all made in our kitchen]:

Pepper steak pieces and mashed potatoes/gravy with peas - soy meat is fried with pure butter oil/canola for beef taste:

Up close [click on picture at link]:

http://img520.imageshack.us/im.....dinner.jpg

Pizza with veggie ham salami and pepperoni:

Stir fry vegetables with fried basmati mushroom rice and sweet and sour 'meat chunks':

Sheppard's pie made with Yves 'ground round' hamburger fried in pure butter oil for meaty beefy taste:

Gujarati Stew with basmati rice and simple biscket:

Meat pie made with Yves 'ground round' hamburger fried in pure butter oil for meaty beefy taste:

So we still need farmers to produce the materials used to make those things...

Beef, Pork, and Chicken are not really foods for humans. :wink: it would be better that farmers produce more healthy foods.

It's all a personal choice and change comes to each in their own time but eventually most people will realize that the vast amounts of meat eaten are a waste of water and other resources and overconsumption of flesh foods have impacted health for decades - and it's cruel to the billions of animals slaughtered every year - people will realize that dinner doesn't have to suffer to be enjoyable.

In the old days the 'meat industry' wasn't as unhealthy as it is now - however with factory farming on the rise and all the concomitant diseases in these animals and all the antibiotics and other noxious things like growth hormones being added to meat to offset diseases and increase profits - it's no longer wise to consume flesh - just based on that.

Kids reared on all these growth hormones and antibiotics in their diets cannot be healthy no matter what anyone says...even in vitro there is a question of what happens when these drugs are present during the formation of the fetus. I wish I had not been reared on meat - really I do!

Also we must consider issues like swine flu and bird flu pandemic threats - when was the last time there was a threat of a tomato pandemic in the world? The factory farm contribution to this threat is very real. Just so some already overweight guys can buy unlimited chicken wings for 50 cents each at the bar!

I know that people are very attached to their meat diets - I was. Yet I really don't have any craving for it now - even the smell of it cooking is actually unpleasant [that was not the case for the first while though] and i avoid it.

People can acquire so much a more refined taste without flesh in the diet and the health care system [and more] benefit as people have less health issues.

A lacto-ovo [in some moderation] vegetarian diet can be satisfyingly similar to a meat based diet and is cheaper and healthier lifestyle... :D

Last edited by don muntean on Tue May 12, 2009 3:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
I have another idea somewhat related.....

Everyone born in the year 2000 or later RELINQUISH their rights to free healthcare if they SMOKE. An education program should be put in place so that all youth know full well, the consequences of smoking (both health-wise, AND financially...)

Tough to prove in some cases but in others it is quite obvious.

Smokers put a major strain on our healthcare system.

Nah - that's what the sin taxes are for. They cover the extra expenses associated with smoking and alcohol. Personally, I don't see much difference between smoking and eating yourself to 400 pounds.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Nah - that's what the sin taxes are for. They cover the extra expenses associated with smoking and alcohol. Personally, I don't see much difference between smoking and eating yourself to 400 pounds.

Ironically, obese people and smokers cost the health care system less in the long run. Heart disease and various cancers are expensive to treat, but not as expensive as keeping a lifelong health nut alive through their 80s, by which time their 'sinning' cohorts are long dead. So to be fair, we need an old age tax too...
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
So to be fair, we need an old age tax too...

Or we could "abort" people at the age of 70. I think there was a movie along those lines. Old people are fooled into believing that they are going to a long term fantasy vacation location but are instead euthanized and the word never gets back so the population doesn't know any better. We could use Florida...
don muntean

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
FF_Canuck wrote:

Or we could "abort" people at the age of 70. I think there was a movie along those lines. Old people are fooled into believing that they are going to a long term fantasy vacation location but are instead euthanized and the word never gets back so the population doesn't know any better. We could use Florida...

Wasn't that movie from the 70's called Logan's Run?
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Craig wrote:

Ironically, obese people and smokers cost the health care system less in the long run. Heart disease and various cancers are expensive to treat, but not as expensive as keeping a lifelong health nut alive through their 80s, by which time their 'sinning' cohorts are long dead. So to be fair, we need an old age tax too...

:lol:
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don muntean wrote:
Craig wrote:
FF_Canuck wrote:

Wasn't that movie from the 70's called Logan's Run?

Or was it Soylent Green? :shock:

"It's PEOPLE!!!!!"
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
FF_Canuck wrote:

Reminds me of the Star Trek TNG episode where a scientist was required to commit suicide at the age of 60. Once he questioned it & decided to declare asylum his people sent ships & risked a military confrontation over the matter.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: