Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Stephen Harper's accomplishments Reply with quote

While I know that many of us are unhappy with Harper's governing too close to the centre, I'd like to start a little thread of positivity for a change. Go ahead and list off what accomplishments Harper's Conservatives have made since being elected.

I'm a fan of the GST reduction and making student scholarships non taxable income.

I'm also a fan of the renewed focus on crime and hard stance on Khadr (international law).

Immigration reform.

The longer-term plans of reducing business taxes annually to make Canada more competitive has also got to make the list.
Ardvark

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great list

http://www.bluelikeyou.com/harper-govt-record/
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being pro-Israeli.

Being more on the side of our traditional allies, and not try to be the new Swiss.
NorthernRaven

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add in 5:

1) Child Care Tax Credit - And subsequently killing any debate toward a national daycare system.

2) Purchasing the C-17s, Hercules J-series, and other important military equipment.

3) The Income Trust Taxation - Which in the context oh large business converting their holding into income trusts, would have delivered a serious shortfall in tax revenue. Although controversial it was the better move. And as I believe those private citizens who held onto their income trusts, have made up their initial shortfall.

4) Resisting any serious cap-and-trade or carbon tax scheme, and so far keeping Obama at bay from killing the Oil Sands. Not killing our economy.

5) Has kept Western Canada in Canada. This is probably the most important achievement to get a Western centric party in power for the first time in Canadian history. Sure NL makes threats, but has no realistic means to do so. If the Liberals held onto power I suspect there would be more inclination for western separation, especially if they proceeded forward with more revenue stealing policies.
JDot

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free trade,free trade, free trade...

Peru,Columbia and now talks with the EU..
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardvark wrote:
Here is a great list

thanks for that ardvark. I bookmarked it for future reference!
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add another. NO MORE sleeping on Northern Initiatives.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tax free savings account is nice, but a lot of these accomplishments are not that big in comparison to that big deficit.
chrisreid

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardvark wrote:
Here is a great list

Hey thanks for that list, it's a great summary.

Minus all of the bizarre spending and apologies everything else is pretty good.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The tax free savings account is nice, but a lot of these accomplishments are not that big in comparison to that big deficit.

It will be interesting to note the deficits progress over the year. They underestimated the surpluses. Maybe they will over estmate the deficits. The economy may be rebounding already. Could be the shortest recession on record.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
It will be interesting to note the deficits progress over the year. They underestimated the surpluses. Maybe they will over estmate the deficits. The economy may be rebounding already. Could be the shortest recession on record.

The realist in me is leaning towards a much larger defecit this year than planned, and maybe a smaller defecit than planned for 2010/11. The extra money than Chrysler will get out of bankruptcy proceedings is not budgeted, for instance.

But that's O/T... generally, I think there's been some notable accomplishments in diplomacy, defense, criminal justice, and foreign trade. Fiscally, it's a lot more of a mixed bag. Tax cuts have been pretty consistent, but spending has increased dramatically. The TFSA has already been mentioned. All in all, it's fairly impressive for 3 years of minority governments.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling us out of a massive global recession with minimal deficits. While the rest of the world spends the next decade trying to balance their deficits and the next decade after that paying off their accumulated debt we will be running surplussed thanks to prudent fiscal planning by the CPC.
Zephyr

Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Stephen Harper's accomplishments Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:

I'm a fan of the GST reduction and making student scholarships non taxable income.

Both excellent moves.

Quote:
I'm also a fan of the renewed focus on crime

The government is wasting millions pursuing a boneheaded drug war.

Quote:
and hard stance on Khadr (international law).

The government's position has been horrific. A child soldier lingering without trial for 7 years in a torture camp. Are we living in Sierra Leone or Canada?
TorontoCon

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Pulling us out of a massive global recession with minimal deficits. While the rest of the world spends the next decade trying to balance their deficits and the next decade after that paying off their accumulated debt we will be running surplussed thanks to prudent fiscal planning by the CPC.

Agreed.

I wonder how far ahead of the game we will be in 5 or 6 years while other countries are still reeling and scraping themselves back together? Will we see a massive influx of investment and business in Canadian cities, industries?

We could come out of this looking REALLY GOOD!

As a scientist, I hope we see a BOOM in our Biotech/Pharma industries! Maybe this will finally stop our brain drain to the USA?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoCon wrote:
We could come out of this looking REALLY GOOD!

I think the recent surge in the dollar is an early indication of this. I'm actually a bit surprised that our dollar is weaker than the American dollar gives the state of our finances and economies. I guess the weak commodities is to blame. Once commodity prices recover I think the Canadian dollar will surpass the American dollar for good.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: